collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Woody17
[Today at 12:34:13 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by VillaTim
[Today at 12:20:12 PM]

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:25:52 AM]

FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Robert Snodgrass - loaned for 17-18 season  (Read 132594 times)

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: Robert Snodgrass - Signed (on loan)
« Reply #240 on: August 29, 2017, 12:48:18 PM »
We couldn't let Hutton go this summer as he took up the 1 year extension option in his contract from memory. Knowing full well he'd get nowhere near the 40k or whatever ridiculous amount he's on anywhere else

Having RDL and Bree for the foreseeable future as RB options is great business though

We also had the whole 'hands off' thing when there were rumours sheff weds were interested which suggests Bruce sees him as a player he wants to keep.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #241 on: August 29, 2017, 03:43:38 PM »
Hutton's wages were surely slashed with relegation though I imagine Wednesday or whoever are after him would probably only be offering half that again.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #242 on: August 29, 2017, 08:56:08 PM »
People questioned what Onomah would bring - answer: he's better than Lansbury

Snodgrass is likewise better than Adomah or Elmo, and he's definitely better than an injured grealish

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #243 on: August 29, 2017, 09:35:11 PM »

Snodgrass is likewise better than Adomah or Elmo, and he's definitely better than an injured grealish

Maybe so, although it's rare Grealish played on the right for us. Bruce has been allowed to ridiculously spunk a lot of the club's budget on improving the right side with another two options when we already had more than adequate options for this division in Adamoah and Green.

Yet we continue on with seemingly one left back and our third choice centre half is Chris Samba.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #244 on: August 29, 2017, 11:42:07 PM »

Maybe so, although it's rare Grealish played on the right for us. Bruce has been allowed to ridiculously spunk a lot of the club's budget on improving the right side with another two options when we already had more than adequate options for this division in Adamoah and Green.

Yet we continue on with seemingly one left back and our third choice centre half is Chris Samba.

The defence bit I don't understand at all. We are left sided defender short and need to rectify it.

Offline passitsideways

« Reply #245 on: August 30, 2017, 05:03:26 AM »
Has there been any mention of how he basically has no idea why he was playing out on the left when he went to West Ham last season? Doesn't really suggest that we took him on with a view to using him there.

Guess it'll be mostly Green and Kodjia out there until Jack comes back, unless we fancy giving Adomah a go.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #246 on: August 30, 2017, 06:44:26 PM »
I'm guessing Snodgrass's continued complaining about the position Bilic played him in is a veiled message to Bruce.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #247 on: August 30, 2017, 07:25:47 PM »
I'm guessing Snodgrass's continued complaining about the position Bilic played him in is a veiled message to Bruce.

If he has brought him in to either play on the right or as a 'number 10', I just can't see the thinking behind it.  To have three right wingers and three right backs in the squad is ridiculous.  He keeps on going on about a lack of money but then goes and blows what he does have like that. 

Offline KRS

« Reply #248 on: August 30, 2017, 07:51:58 PM »
I have a feeling that he'll try to play Snoddy more centrally, however he could try and persist with the 352 and play him tucked in on the right with Hourihane and Green on the left. Bruce is going to have a few selection dilemmas for sure, so I hope he actually has a plan in place whereby we can rotate players in and out rather than switching formations week in week out.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #249 on: August 30, 2017, 08:00:07 PM »
I have a feeling that he'll try to play Snoddy more centrally, however he could try and persist with the 352 and play him tucked in on the right with Hourihane and Green on the left. Bruce is going to have a few selection dilemmas for sure, so I hope he actually has a plan in place whereby we can rotate players in and out rather than switching formations week in week out.
A plan you say?
I would not bank on it

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #250 on: August 30, 2017, 11:58:35 PM »

Yep.  If he wants to play Snodgrass centrally then he will have to change the formation. I'm guessing he will revisit 3-5-2 at some point. 

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #251 on: August 31, 2017, 01:29:12 AM »
With who in the back 3? We don't have the right balance of centre halves to play a back 3. You need one with pace, and one that is left sided for it to work. We have neither.

Offline KRS

« Reply #252 on: August 31, 2017, 02:25:38 AM »
Try telling that to Bruce! It really is a mystery why he seems to keep experimenting with it during games...surely if they had been playing that system in training then they wouldn't be so inept and look so lost when trying to adapt to it on match days. The players are clearly more comfortable in their roles playing with a back four, so why he keeps messing with it when it clearly doesn't work is anyones guess.

Offline KRS

« Reply #253 on: August 31, 2017, 02:48:04 AM »
Looking at the midfield, and depending on injuries, I really can't see how he's going to fit Snoddy into the team without dropping at least 3 out of Adomah, Elmo, Green, Thor and Lansbury when Whelan, Onomah and Hourihane should automatically pick themselves. This will also influence whether he decides to play 1 or 2 up front (Hogan, Davis or both). I think the balance of the squad means he'll have to play a variation of 451. He'll also face further headaches when Jedinak, Grealish and Kodjia come back from injury.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 02:59:46 AM by KRS »

Offline passitsideways

« Reply #254 on: August 31, 2017, 04:20:14 AM »
I don't think it's really in dispute that the squad management has been crap, although at least it's being done with decent players, rather than outright shit ones.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal