collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by eamonn
[Today at 10:02:19 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by aj2k77
[Today at 10:01:26 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by LeeB
[Today at 10:00:03 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by olaftab
[Today at 09:57:10 AM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by chrisw1
[Today at 09:56:02 AM]

Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by john e
[Today at 09:55:13 AM]

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:55:00 AM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by brontebilly
[Today at 09:53:18 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ahmed Elmohamady - released  (Read 91238 times)

Offline Smoke

• GM : Aug, 2013
Re: Ahmed Elmohamady - SIGNED
« Reply #360 on: September 18, 2017, 10:28:39 AM »
Elmo or Bacuna?

Elmo for me.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #361 on: September 18, 2017, 01:15:43 PM »
Elmo or Bacuna?

Elmo for me.

No contest Elmo is light years ahead

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #362 on: September 18, 2017, 01:24:22 PM »
No issue with him at RB.

Agreed. An right back with a decent cross and an instinct to get forward is fine with me.

He just shouldn't be one of our three most attacking players like he has been in previous matches.

He scares the shit out of me at right back. He's completely reckless in that he has no positional sense, leaves asteroid size holes down our right side when he decides he'd rather play on the wing. Watching him jog back numerous times today had me screaming. If it had been anybody else he'd have been hung. For me, he's the weak link in our back for and we'll be punished sooner rather than later for his lack of intelligence, as technically he's a more than decent player.

Great cross for the third goal today though.
A completely unnecessary signing.

If he's going to play RB then I agree, as it means we have three other RBs who are either sitting on the bench or in the stands.  I don't think he's far enough ahead of those three in ability to suggest he is needed. 

That said, I think Bruce signed him to play on the wing first and foremost. 

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #363 on: September 18, 2017, 01:28:56 PM »
He brought him in because he knows him well, he trusts him and knows he can do a job and while we probably didn't need him now Snodgrass is here, I can understand why he wanted him. He's been ok-ish  so far.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #364 on: September 18, 2017, 01:51:46 PM »
He brought him in because he knows him well, he trusts him and knows he can do a job and while we probably didn't need him now Snodgrass is here, I can understand why he wanted him. He's been ok-ish  so far.

On the last two displays he's probably the best right back we have, which doesn't say much for De Laet or Bree.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #365 on: September 18, 2017, 01:57:14 PM »
As a measure

Hutton - he is better in all areas than "Cafu"

Bree - mistake ridden and not convinced by him - although still very young

DeLaet - The most accomplished defender but has turned into the invisible man

Richards - Good God - I would rather play with 10 men

So unless we can dispel the myth that is RDL and he starts to play - there is no one better for that position

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #366 on: September 18, 2017, 02:19:34 PM »
As a measure

Hutton - he is better in all areas than "Cafu"

Bree - mistake ridden and not convinced by him - although still very young

DeLaet - The most accomplished defender but has turned into the invisible man

Richards - Good God - I would rather play with 10 men

So unless we can dispel the myth that is RDL and he starts to play - there is no one better for that position

Which means we have potentially got three players in one position sitting in the stand.  Considering the kind of money Richards, Hutton and De Laet are on, that is a ridiculous place for a second tier side to be in.   
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 03:04:05 PM by tomd2103 »

Offline in exile

• GM : 22.07.2022
« Reply #367 on: September 18, 2017, 03:02:19 PM »

On the last two displays he's probably the best right back we have, which doesn't say much for De Laet or Bree.

The De Laet you have hardly seen play?

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #368 on: September 18, 2017, 03:13:58 PM »
I thought Elmo was good against Boro when moved to centre midfield.

Offline KRS

« Reply #369 on: September 18, 2017, 06:23:25 PM »
Is RDL fully fit yet? He hasn't played a full 90 minutes since coming back from his injury (as far as I'm aware), and I remember Bruce saying that it's best to make sure he takes his time to fully recover rather than rush him back into the team. The good news for us is that both Elmo and RDL are quite versatile and can play in several positions when called upon.

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #370 on: August 19, 2018, 09:50:47 PM »
Elmo play is only ok and in some ways as a trustee Bruce soldier he seems to be shoe horned in and kept on due to versitility.

Pleased for him he scored but with RDL , Bree and Hutton I don't see totally why he always get a kind of preference.

He quite steady and know what you get so maybe answering own question but I do feel he's way more favoured than some due to Bruce and maybe now new owners Egyptian love affair will continue

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #371 on: August 24, 2018, 08:51:12 AM »
Elmo or Bacuna?

Elmo for me.

Saturday could be a head to head.

I do like Elmo but feel he needs to be now a back up in the attacking sense what with the players coming in who are genuine wing players with skills and pace.

Bruce will likely keep him involved Saturday but by all means have him rested and give El ghazi the start.

I think Bruce will find a way to have Elmo in and bacuna should be playing in middle again for reading but I go with Elmo in the debate

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #372 on: August 28, 2018, 09:56:32 AM »
Well done Elmo . 2 goals in league already !
He's playing the wide advanced forward role when he's scored these

I do wonder if Green was in that role as wide right then would we have been further ahead in matches and scored more goals. Even having Bjarnasson or Grealish in one of the
wide attacking roles.

With elmo his versatility and his familiariity to bruce makes him an assest that's dependable if not spectacular.
With Bruce as manager he likes these types along with the Huttons and Chesters.

Elmo has a cross on him but it's not considered consistent however he has also assisted goal this season

I think having brought in others Elmo should be given a role at  right back and come forward to advance though I would like to see Bree or RDL in this RB  role as I think both are pacey

Frustratingly it's neither getting in a look in league wise.

Back to Elmo I would have him not as a wide forward with the other players villa have .

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #373 on: August 28, 2018, 09:59:11 AM »

I do wonder if Green was in that role as wide right then would we have been further ahead in matches and scored more goals. Even having Bjarnasson or Grealish in one of the
wide attacking roles.

To answer your points - Green no.  The lad isn't ready.  I'm not going to write him off but he's been very poor this season and needs to go on a season's loan somewhere down the league.

As for Bjarnason, Bruce tried him in an attacking position on the left last season, and to say it wasn't a huge success is a massive understatement.  In any case, we now have Adomah, El Ghazi and Bolasie fighting for three spots, so not sure why you'd need to play the players you mention out of position.

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #374 on: August 28, 2018, 10:37:13 AM »

wide attacking roles.

To answer your points - Green no.  The lad isn't ready.  I'm not going to write him off but he's been very poor this season and needs to go on a season's loan somewhere down the league.

As for Bjarnason, Bruce tried him in an attacking position on the left last season, and to say it wasn't a huge success is a massive understatement.  In any case, we now have Adomah, El Ghazi and Bolasie fighting for three spots, so not sure why you'd need to play the players you mention out of position.

Oh I sorry I mean I mention before this with ideas before  thinking about new signings more of a comment of what's happened so far .

I actually set up a thread about tactics as was thinking about the effectiveness of our wide players and full backs.

Also if Bruce understand what it like to be a full back in 2018
That wingers aren't so common or simply they are wide forwards was a mention on motd or sky over weekend I think.

Because allot of full backs from Alonso to Monreal bellerin , trippier, Robertson , Alex Arnold are offering a major attacking threat with anount they get forward and assist.

Okay it's not Liverpool or Arsenal full backs we have but the idea is still good

Hutton and Tuanzebe ?? Aren't offering what we need from a modern day full back.

But Bruce has brought in two wise players to do the attacking so hopefully works out but likes of Elmo can be a support in the new players attacking forrays.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 10:39:27 AM by footyskillz »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal