collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Risso
[Today at 08:16:07 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by pablo_picasso
[Today at 08:07:11 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Edge
[Today at 07:51:24 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:47:37 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by OCD
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Nev
[Today at 07:38:29 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Ian.
[Today at 07:37:07 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ahmed Elmohamady - released  (Read 91303 times)

Offline GordonCowansisthegreatest

Re: Ahmed Elmohamady - SIGNED
« Reply #255 on: July 27, 2017, 09:51:43 AM »
[quote author=passitsideways

Jack's the number 10 - his off-the-ball movement's fine, and he should be the one who benefits the most from Terry's ability to pass through the lines. Of course, the issue with him is what he does once he gets on it - his decision-making and speed of thought can be so rubbish.

He wants to make things happen but he needs players to be moving into space.  Just moving the ball on for the sake of it doesn't create good opportunities.  Speed of thought/instinctiveness relies on vision but is totally reliant on other players movement.  Similarly, decision making requires options.

His best spell and possibly his only consistent spell was working with Benteke and Delph when Sherwood came in.  There was movement all around him that took players away from him and gave him options.
[/quote]
Spot on, movement is the key to our problems.

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #256 on: July 27, 2017, 10:05:54 AM »

For me Jack's main problem (apart from perhaps already thinking he's the finished article) is he's so slow. He never seems to be in full flight / mid run when he receives the ball. 99% of the time it's when he's stood still, which slows things down to a snails pace all the time. For me anyway

Online Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #257 on: July 27, 2017, 12:05:11 PM »

For me Jack's main problem (apart from perhaps already thinking he's the finished article) is he's so slow. He never seems to be in full flight / mid run when he receives the ball. 99% of the time it's when he's stood still, which slows things down to a snails pace all the time. For me anyway
And, slow to decide what he's going to do with the ball, as well.

Online Nelly

• rahix.music
  • GM : 01.05.2023
« Reply #258 on: July 27, 2017, 01:14:26 PM »
A couple of times I've seen Grealish dally on the ball for an age and then play it to someone who has no chance of doing anything with it. Part of that is definitely a lack of options but sometimes he could look to play it simple if there's not anything on. That might be the pressure of being one of Villa's only creative players and the expectation on him to do something magical every time.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #259 on: July 27, 2017, 01:15:53 PM »
Another perspective is that it is his game and how he does things - what we need to do is find a way that uses his obvious ability to best effect.
He has no natural pace but can go past players with ease. I think Jacks biggest issue certainly was throwing his arms up in the air when things did not go his way - maybe he will be more of a team player this season as he starts to mature.

He is classically at the brink or really good or an also ran who thought he had made it

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #260 on: July 27, 2017, 01:48:56 PM »
All of these comments are valid

But I still maintain that the kid I saw emerge under Sherwood is a genuinely special talent

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #261 on: July 27, 2017, 03:37:37 PM »

But I still maintain that the kid I saw emerge under Sherwood is a genuinely special talent
Agreed.  But it's time he stepped up.  I just really hope this is his season.

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #262 on: July 27, 2017, 03:47:41 PM »
Grealish has the ability to hang onto the ball better than anyone else in the squad and to do something positive with it. He looked hampered last season in that the rest of the midfield were often too deep presumably concerned with their defensive roles.  With what appears to be a much improved defence and some pace offered in Elmo' maybe we will see the midfield pushing on that bit more with some movement giving Grealish more space and options.  That's what I hope to see anyway. 

Offline passitsideways

« Reply #263 on: July 28, 2017, 12:25:27 AM »

Absolutely - that level of close control and spatial awareness is not something that comes around very often.

Just that this club hasn't been the most ideal situation for a player like him to develop, although obviously part of the blame has to be assigned to his apparent somewhat questionable attitude.

He and Alex Iwobi come off as quite similar to one another in terms of playing style, and the latter obviously is getting constant first-team action at Arsenal - I do feel that's where he might've been right now if the situation had been better than it has in the past few years.

Offline Neil Hawkes

« Reply #264 on: July 28, 2017, 05:27:59 AM »
Grealish has the ability to hang onto the ball better than anyone else in the squad and to do something positive with it. He looked hampered last season in that the rest of the midfield were often too deep presumably concerned with their defensive roles.  With what appears to be a much improved defence and some pace offered in Elmo' maybe we will see the midfield pushing on that bit more with some movement giving Grealish more space and options.  That's what I hope to see anyway. 
Hawkes likes this

Offline Damo70

« Reply #265 on: July 28, 2017, 12:28:04 PM »
Grealish can do a decent job in the top flight, so at this level I think he can be very dangerous.

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #266 on: August 19, 2017, 08:53:00 AM »
33 stitches in his lip but still wants to play this week according to Bruce. Fairplay.

Offline AV5nobs

« Reply #267 on: August 19, 2017, 09:52:14 AM »
Mick Jagger?

Offline frank black

« Reply #268 on: August 19, 2017, 10:17:36 AM »
33 stitches in his lip but still wants to play this week according to Bruce. Fairplay.

Trying to figure out how you can fit 33 stitches on a lip. What was the challenge like that injured him that badly? Was he tackled by a jigsaw?

Offline Woofles The Wonder Dog

• GM : 25.01.2025
« Reply #269 on: August 19, 2017, 11:52:26 AM »

Trying to figure out how you can fit 33 stitches on a lip. What was the challenge like that injured him that badly? Was he tackled by a jigsaw?

It's a puzzle, isn't it.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal