collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ahmed Elmohamady - released  (Read 91323 times)

Offline sirlordbaltimore

Re: Ahmed Elmohamady
« Reply #120 on: July 18, 2017, 04:27:25 PM »
People expect a mid table championship side with FFP troubles not to be spending money we apparently don't have on a 5th right back (or 3rd right winger if you prefer).  It's really that simple, he's no better than the players we have in his positions and we already have more than enough cover there.

Well firstly he's not a right back as such, it's just one position he can play. Then again Richards or Bacuna aren't right backs either never mind how many people tell me they are

As far as i can see have two right backs at the club, Hutton (who wouldn't even be classed as a footballer in my books) and Bree. And with any luck Hutton will be out the door soon enough. We also have De Laet of course, but after such a long time out i'm not expecting to see him much this season

And we now have a player that can 'cover' at RB, RWB or RW. All for a million quid

Smart business.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #121 on: July 18, 2017, 04:42:48 PM »
People expect a mid table championship side with FFP troubles not to be spending money we apparently don't have on a 5th right back (or 3rd right winger if you prefer).  It's really that simple, he's no better than the players we have in his positions and we already have more than enough cover there.

Well firstly he's not a right back as such, it's just one position he can play. Then again Richards or Bacuna aren't right backs either never mind how many people tell me they are

As far as i can see have two right backs at the club, Hutton (who wouldn't even be classed as a footballer in my books) and Bree. And with any luck Hutton will be out the door soon enough. We also have De Laet of course, but after such a long time out i'm not expecting to see him much this season

And we now have a player that can 'cover' at RB, RWB or RW. All for a million quid

Smart business.

He covers all down the right, I agree on that.

Bacuna also covers all down the right, just because you don't rate him doesn't mean we're not paying him. Richards is clearly a right back, he's played for England as one, you're letting the fact that he's shit get in the way of being objective.

As right backs we also have hutton, bree and delaet, as you say but just because you don't expect much from the latter again doesn't mean we shouldn't count him as part of the squad.

Right wing backs is more interesting, I suspect Adomah would do well there and that it would be Bacuna's best position.  I also think, from what I've seen, that Bree would be a very good option there.

Further forward you have Adomah and Green, as well as Bacuna, who can all operate on the right of midfield.

As I said, we have plenty of options for all 3 roles and there doesn't seem to be any noise about any of them being sold other than a small rumour of Hutton to Sheffield Wednesday.  We already have the biggest squad in the league, we can't just keep piling more players on top unless they're too good to ignore, I don't think Elmohamady is anything like that quality.  If we can move on 2-3 of the players named above then I'd be ok with this despite not particularly rating him because Bruce clearly likes him but buying him right now is just piss poor squad management.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #122 on: July 18, 2017, 04:49:28 PM »
Well, I suppose we could wait until after he's actually played a few games for us to say whether it's a good signing and whether he improves the team.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #123 on: July 18, 2017, 05:43:33 PM »
Well, I suppose we could wait until after he's actually played a few games for us to say whether it's a good signing and whether he improves the team.

Then lets lock the thread until the end of September.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #124 on: July 18, 2017, 06:12:48 PM »
Might be worth putting a few quid on him for first goal on the opening day if he plays.

Offline Tom_Mc9?

• GM : 28.08.2024
« Reply #125 on: July 18, 2017, 06:17:21 PM »
Optimists say he'll be an excellent addition.

Pessimists say it's a waste of money.

As that amount of money is £1m, I don't think the latter should get too worried. In the mad world of football, it's hardly risk of the century, is it?

Offline Three Spires Villa

« Reply #126 on: July 18, 2017, 06:37:31 PM »

As that amount of money is £1m, I don't think the latter should get too worried. In the mad world of football, it's hardly risk of the century, is it?

No but we have lots of players who can play on the right, so no point, just another wage, very silly. He's no better than what we have got

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #127 on: July 18, 2017, 06:52:59 PM »

Indeed.

Offline ASHTONVILLA

• http://www.levitycropscience.com
  • GM : 01.08.2022
« Reply #128 on: July 18, 2017, 07:11:57 PM »

Depends what his contract is like. We could have said the same about Habib Beye.

FWIW I think it will be a decent signing though.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #129 on: July 18, 2017, 07:20:12 PM »

No but we have lots of players who can play on the right, so no point, just another wage, very silly. He's no better than what we have got

We haven't got many who can play wing back if Bruce wants to go with that formation.  Bree, De Laet and Hutton are defenders, whereas Adomah and Green are more attacking players.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #130 on: July 18, 2017, 07:26:28 PM »
To counter that on the left we have just Taylor and he's as I'll suited to wing back as any of the right side players you name.  Assuming Amavi is sold of course.

That's the real problem, we have weaknesses that aren't being addressed by the players who are linked.

Offline Joshua Fineman

« Reply #131 on: July 18, 2017, 07:33:50 PM »
Has he signed yet?

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #132 on: July 18, 2017, 07:35:30 PM »
For the money Elmo will probably be a decent addition to the squad. Problems are we need better than 'decent' and it's a position(s) we didn't really need to strengthen.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #133 on: July 18, 2017, 07:35:56 PM »
I think Bacuna can play RWB but otherwise agree

Maybe Thor could play LWB but I don't see him doing that week in week out

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #134 on: July 18, 2017, 07:37:36 PM »
I'm not quite as down on him as others. Always looked a pretty decent player to me and we need someone who can cross from wide.

I'd like to add lots of people reacted similarly to Taylor joining and he's done really well.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal