collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa v Chelsea Match Thread by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 09:53:08 PM]

John McGinn - signed (Captain) by Footy-Vill
[Today at 09:51:55 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 09:51:44 PM]

Player Discipline, Bookings and Suspension by Footy-Vill
[Today at 09:28:43 PM]

Robin Olsen by Footy-Vill
[Today at 09:25:36 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John Terry - Gone  (Read 555523 times)

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
Re: John Terry
« Reply #3555 on: September 09, 2018, 02:45:55 PM »
Signing for Spartak Moscow

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #3556 on: September 09, 2018, 03:06:27 PM »
To be fair to Bruce, Elphick is poor and a liability like Samba.  He was not a Bruce purchase and we have been trying to move him on for sometime. 

I think Bruce has been let down by John Terry here although I don't blame Terry - he has to do what he needs to do financially.  The main thing Bruce has got wrong is reading the situation and it could be costly for SB, for the club and for us.

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #3557 on: September 09, 2018, 03:21:42 PM »
To be fair to Bruce, Elphick is poor and a liability like Samba.  He was not a Bruce purchase and we have been trying to move him on for sometime. 

I think Bruce has been let down by John Terry here although I don't blame Terry - he has to do what he needs to do financially.  The main thing Bruce has got wrong is reading the situation and it could be costly for SB, for the club and for us.

Whether Elphick was good enough for us at this level or not, he shouldn't have been released without having a confirmed replacement. The fact that Bruce has left us so woefully short is a disgrace.

Online Villa in Denmark

• On a road to nowhere
  • GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #3558 on: September 09, 2018, 03:36:35 PM »

Why has Bruce been let down by Terry? Not signing a contract that doesn't appear to have been offered?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 03:39:00 PM by Villa in Denmark »

Offline villa `cross the mersey

« Reply #3559 on: September 09, 2018, 03:55:52 PM »
All this talk of magnets and Ferrous Bueller will bring on a pun fest.  Be warned.  We are being drawn towards it.
I just fail to see the attraction

Offline johnc

• GM : 15.02.2025
« Reply #3560 on: September 09, 2018, 04:15:16 PM »
All this talk of magnets and Ferrous Bueller will bring on a pun fest.  Be warned.  We are being drawn towards it.
We are poles apart on this one

Offline auntiesledd

« Reply #3561 on: September 09, 2018, 04:31:07 PM »

I'm finding these magnet puns utterly repellent. So stop it.

Offline villa `cross the mersey

« Reply #3562 on: September 09, 2018, 04:39:20 PM »

I'm finding these magnet puns utterly repellent. So stop it.
maybe we should encompass our owners NSWE :)

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #3563 on: September 09, 2018, 04:58:51 PM »
We should have got him back, really don't feel confident with only Chester and Tuanzebe. Richards is a waste of time, Jedi has too many mistakes in him. It's Bruce's fault. Yet he'll be the first one moaning about it.

Offline Duncan Shaw

« Reply #3564 on: September 10, 2018, 09:08:29 AM »
I take it as a bit of a vote of no confidence from the board I Bruce tbh.  I suspect Bruce and JT thought he would be coming back here "because we're desperate" and the board have still said no, we're not giving a near 38 year a deal on big wages, make do with the squad YOU have assembled.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #3565 on: September 10, 2018, 09:42:34 AM »
I take it as a bit of a vote of no confidence from the board I Bruce tbh.  I suspect Bruce and JT thought he would be coming back here "because we're desperate" and the board have still said no, we're not giving a near 38 year a deal on big wages, make do with the squad YOU have assembled.

I agree, I think it's pretty clear that both Bruce and Terry were holding out for the green light and the board have blocked it. Given everything that's happened with the defence that feels very much like 'no cavalry, you created this mess, coach your way out of it'. If that is the case then it seems someone has figured Bruce out pretty quickly (his solution to every problem is to buy more players) and he's probably into his last few weeks here now because he's not going to be able to fix this. The gamble is that the defence holds up well enough to get us through to January when we can fix it properly because by the time Bruce has gone and the new guy is in we won't have many options for a quick fix.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #3566 on: September 10, 2018, 10:54:19 AM »
Not sure as to why someone would have blocked his comeback.  At the moment without decent cover at cb we are going nowhere.  Jt at least would have given us hope. We may possibly now miss out on the play offs

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #3567 on: September 10, 2018, 11:13:02 AM »
Not sure as to why someone would have blocked his comeback.  At the moment without decent cover at cb we are going nowhere.  Jt at least would have given us hope. We may possibly now miss out on the play offs

Because it appears the board told him he couldn't re-sign Terry weeks ago and he then fucked about leaving it too late to sign an alternative which has left us short. He's backed them in to a corner by asking for JT again so I can understand them telling him bollocks.

Offline Jockey Randall

« Reply #3568 on: September 10, 2018, 11:48:35 AM »

Because it appears the board told him he couldn't re-sign Terry weeks ago and he then fucked about leaving it too late to sign an alternative which has left us short. He's backed them in to a corner by asking for JT again so I can understand them telling him bollocks.

I'm not sure it's as simple as that regarding transfers. Surely the board are the ones handling all the transfer negotiations and targets rather than Bruce running the whole show. If anything I'd expect the board would take the blame for failing to get deals done and leaving us short.

Offline mike

« Reply #3569 on: September 10, 2018, 12:05:17 PM »

I'm not sure it's as simple as that regarding transfers. Surely the board are the ones handling all the transfer negotiations and targets rather than Bruce running the whole show. If anything I'd expect the board would take the blame for failing to get deals done and leaving us short.

Unless they unequivocally told him no to Terry and to find an alternative and he basically said 'fuck you' by failing to do so then asking again for JT. If I was them, I'd say 'no and pack your bags, this time'. Mind, there's no saying that's what happened.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal