collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John Terry - Gone  (Read 555425 times)

Offline mr underhill

Re: John Terry - signed
« Reply #3195 on: May 31, 2018, 08:37:34 AM »
I honestly can't see him playing  in England again - maybe the odd match in Scotland if he went to Rangers, or  in the USA. But not in the top two  English leagues

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #3196 on: May 31, 2018, 08:45:56 AM »
As well as he did, isn't he 38 soon. We do need a longer term solution and a bit more pace at the back. We sit so deep it hurts how we function going forward.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #3197 on: May 31, 2018, 08:46:50 AM »
I doubt he's going to rock up at Derby. Part of the reason Rowett went was the financial restrictions they're now facing.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #3198 on: May 31, 2018, 09:08:30 AM »
I doubt he's going to rock up at Derby. Part of the reason Rowett went was the financial restrictions they're now facing.

Probably right but I think the Lampard appointment makes it a possibility.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #3199 on: May 31, 2018, 09:11:40 AM »
Would mean one of Davis or Keogh going.

Offline boozey182

• GM : PCM
« Reply #3200 on: May 31, 2018, 10:04:25 AM »
I don't think he had anywhere near the kind of influence that has been suggested, so him going is great news; we can replace him with someone better suited to our team for much less money. We're going to need to do this throughout the team, but this should be one of the easier ones to solve. Not least because we should have been preparing for this gap in the team for a long time.

Ultimately, he was a bit of a Ronny Johnsen signing. But at a much lower level and on much more money.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #3201 on: May 31, 2018, 10:26:18 AM »
with respect I think you've massively under valued the influence he had.

Offline postal

« Reply #3202 on: May 31, 2018, 10:38:47 AM »

Hopefully the legacy of his influence will continue - even if it is only for the change of respect that the players found for themselves that seems to be missing for so long.

Offline boozey182

• GM : PCM
« Reply #3203 on: May 31, 2018, 10:41:37 AM »

You may well be right, and I suppose we may never really know. But if he was such a good defender, why did we still concede so many sloppy goals against poor opposition? If he was such a good leader, why did we still choke when we really needed to get a result? If he was so important to our team, why didn't results get worse when he was out? If he was such a winner, why didn't we come back from losing positions very often? If he was worth paying more than anybody else in the league, why wasn't he anywhere near the best player in the league?

I'm not saying our failure was all his fault, of course it wasn't. I'm just suggesting that we won't miss him. He was the captain and highest paid player of one of the worst Villa teams in my lifetime.

Offline manic-road

« Reply #3204 on: May 31, 2018, 10:42:07 AM »
I don't think he had anywhere near the kind of influence that has been suggested, so him going is great news; we can replace him with someone better suited to our team for much less money. We're going to need to do this throughout the team, but this should be one of the easier ones to solve. Not least because we should have been preparing for this gap in the team for a long time.

Ultimately, he was a bit of a Ronny Johnsen signing. But at a much lower level and on much more money.

Who is this player that is better and cheaper? He had a massive bearing on the younger players with his professionalism and the likes of Jack have massively matured over the past season. I had heard it was a toxic dressing room before he arrived and he helped change a lot of that into a strong unit.

Offline Nunkin1965

• This is only a problem.
« Reply #3205 on: May 31, 2018, 10:48:55 AM »
People will see what they want to see.
I know for a fact that the impact on the younger lads was massive.
Any player can be blamed for any situation if you want to make it fit.
You could argue it either way. He’s had left backs at right back. Right backs at left back. An ever changing midfield around him and a frontline that’s blown hot and cold all season.
Collectively it’s as a team that’s made us fall short. Not just a former and total professional Champios League winner.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #3206 on: May 31, 2018, 10:53:32 AM »

I agree with this. Whilst there was no doubt about his admirable professionalism overall on the pitch he wasn't that good and let's face it even with Terry in the team we failed. Time to build the defence around Chester with good young players.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #3207 on: May 31, 2018, 11:51:02 AM »
Chester was a much, much, much better defender than Terry this season.

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #3208 on: May 31, 2018, 12:06:40 PM »

I didn't want Terry, but he was excellent for us on and off the pitch. But he wasn't the Terry of old let's be honest. He had mistakes in him and there's no way his legs would've lasted another season.

If anything i think we'll miss Terry off the pitch more than on it next season. Maybe a coaching role could be found if he's ready to hang up his boots.

I still can't see why we have Calderwood, Agnew and Clemence all doing the same job by the looks of it. One of them will surely have to go this summer.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #3209 on: May 31, 2018, 12:09:44 PM »
Chester was a much, much, much better defender than Terry this season.

Agreed, but I think it's also true to say that we'll really miss Terry.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal