collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by Hookeysmith
[Today at 02:59:06 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Drummond
[Today at 02:58:40 PM]

Ollie Watkins by WarszaVillan
[Today at 02:56:43 PM]

Season Tickets - 2023/24 by Max Villan
[Today at 02:15:30 PM]

Peter McParland 90 today by jon collett
[Today at 02:13:38 PM]

Ex- Villa Players still playing watch by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 01:53:30 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Ian.
[Today at 01:48:55 PM]

Saturday night fever - Chelsea at home by dave.woodhall
[Today at 01:23:49 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Hookeysmith
[Today at 02:59:06 PM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Drummond
[Today at 02:58:40 PM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by WarszaVillan
[Today at 02:56:43 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 02:55:11 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 02:52:18 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 02:51:36 PM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 02:48:28 PM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Hillbilly
[Today at 02:35:51 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John Terry - Gone  (Read 555062 times)

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
Re: John Terry - signed
« Reply #2820 on: March 22, 2018, 08:37:01 AM »
Steve Bruce was well respected as a player in a team that played attractive football and won everything. He played in the same position as the number 26 and has connections at Manchester United, he also managed five clubs before becoming Aston Villa manager, having achieved four promotions. Can't think of too many ex players who have gone straight into management with any success in recent years, especially ones who continue playing.

The last one I remember was King Kenny Dalglish.

And look at the quality of players he inherited.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2821 on: March 22, 2018, 08:45:28 AM »
If Terry is helping the likes of Grealish and other youngster's at the club and is influencing them to approach the game differently and act more professional, then I don't see the problem with it. It's only going to help them and us in the long run.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #2822 on: March 22, 2018, 09:38:50 AM »
I guess Terry is the only one who has played at the highest level - it does say that the others are copying him.
I'd guess we generally have a better disciplined dressing room now, but Terry is the man to watch in terms of how they do it at the top.

He's not though is he. Bruce has bemoaned the fact we've got more than a dozen players disappearing off on international duty. We've got loads of ex-Premier League players (including the likes of Hutton who's played at the San Siro in the Champions League) and a bunch of former captains.

It just astounds me that when a Chelsea player has come in he stands out for his professionalism when compared to the rest of them.

The thing is though, you put Chester on your list of players supposedly taking the piss and he's played every game this season. Like Chelts said, they were making the point how seriously John Terry takes it. That does not mean others think of it as a retirement home.

I'm not saying Chester is taking the piss - the likes of Gabby and Richards are taking the piss.

There just shouldn't be enough off a difference in how John Terry approaches training to how the others do, such that Terry keeps being lauded as this model professional. All those players I've listed shouldn't need John Terry to come in to realise what good looks like. And in turn Grealish shouldn't have needed to wait until Terry arrived to have a role model at the club given the other characters we've got.

Unless of course it's all a load of bollocks designed to make Terry want to stay another season. But then that would risk pissing the others off.

You seem to be looking to get shirty for no reason here. If, say, Lansbury turns in at 9 for a 10 start, and leaves at half 2 after additional shooting practice, he is hardly shirking responsibility or not taking it seriously. But what has he achieved that will make Jack take notice?

Terry isn't redefining match preparation like the early years of Wenger at Arsenal. He is showing shit attitude types their prep is unprofessional and those who thought they were working hard enough that they can work harder still. It wasn't a sop about him (or certainly didn't come across as one).

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #2823 on: March 22, 2018, 09:55:19 AM »
So following your example, why weren't Round and Wyness talking about how its great to have Lansbury at the club who Grealish can look up to and learn from?  The logical answer would be that Lansbury isn't going above and beyond - so why not?  He's not in the team so he should be busting a gut to do so. 

If he is doing as you say, but Round and Wyness are only fawning over Terry I'd be pretty pissed off if I was Lansbury.  Wouldn't you?

If it's just that Terry's a role model because he's won trophies then why isn't Birkir a role model because he was part of an Iceland team that knocked England out of the Euros, or why isn't Hutton a role model because he's played in the Champions League?

I'm not getting shirty for no reason.  Chelsea players should be turning up at the Villa and being impressed at the fact they're at a proper, big club, not turning up showing the rest of the place up for it's unprofessionalism.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 12:37:30 PM by Ad@m »

Offline boozey182

« Reply #2824 on: March 22, 2018, 09:57:57 AM »
It's certainly in everyone's interest to highlight/exaggerate Terry's influence. We have committed a ridiculous wage for a player at this level, and he's put his reputation of success on the line to join us. So it needs to have worked for all concerned.

Having said that, fair play to him if he's had a positive effect on other players. I still don't think he's performed well enough for us (considering his wage), I don't think he's what our team needed and I don't like him. But if he's helped improve standards in training, that's a good thing.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #2825 on: March 22, 2018, 10:00:18 AM »
I'm not sure I understand your point.

Lansbury may well be very professional, but Terry is equally professional and has more silverwear in his front room than most clubs have in their 140 year histories. You aspire to greatness, not mediocrity.

Nobody has said he's showing anybody up.

One of the most decorated English players of the last 30 years, has turned up and unsurprisingly has an extra percent in his game. Terry has helped raise the bar further by being a role model for the likes of Jack. Its a positive thing that you're doing your best to turn into a whinge.

Offline Diablo

« Reply #2826 on: March 22, 2018, 10:16:37 AM »
Steve Bruce was well respected as a player in a team that played attractive football and won everything. He played in the same position as the number 26 and has connections at Manchester United, he also managed five clubs before becoming Aston Villa manager, having achieved four promotions. Can't think of too many ex players who have gone straight into management with any success in recent years, especially ones who continue playing.

The last one I remember was King Kenny Dalglish.

And look at the quality of players he inherited.
Plus the back room staff. He'd been at the club for 8 years before taking over and his honours as a player during that time are an absolute piss take (3 European cups, 5 league titles, 4 league cups) arguably worthy of his king title.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 01:28:36 PM by Diablo »

Offline Clampy

« Reply #2827 on: March 22, 2018, 10:24:04 AM »
Maybe they were asked about Terry's future plans and Round/Wyness just expanded on it by saying how good a influence and professional he has been. It doesn't sound anything more than that and it's hardly worth getting worked up because they didnt mention no-one else.

Online amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
« Reply #2828 on: March 22, 2018, 01:00:58 PM »
I guess Terry is the only one who has played at the highest level - it does say that the others are copying him.
I'd guess we generally have a better disciplined dressing room now, but Terry is the man to watch in terms of how they do it at the top.

He's not though is he. Bruce has bemoaned the fact we've got more than a dozen players disappearing off on international duty. We've got loads of ex-Premier League players (including the likes of Hutton who's played at the San Siro in the Champions League) and a bunch of former captains.

It just astounds me that when a Chelsea player has come in he stands out for his professionalism when compared to the rest of them.

The highest level - how many of the othwrs listed have played in the Premier League let alone won it several times? It doesn't mean they are miles behind him, but they are bound to watch him and try to learn from his example.
If someone in my office had won Social Worker of the year - I would be wanting to shadow them and learn from what they do better than me. What different preparation and reflection makes their practice better than mine. Just wanting to do that makes me a good social worker too, rather than one who says 'Well I already do a goid job,  I don't need to learn how to be better'.
In that same way - saying they can learn from Terry isn't a bad sign.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #2829 on: March 22, 2018, 01:10:57 PM »
Exactly. He isn't just successful, he was the captain of a side that won;

5 league titles
5 FA Cups*
3 League Cups
European Cup
UEFA Cup

He's also been the PFA player of the year and been capped by England 78 times. He's won more in his career than all but 9 or 10 clubs in 140 years.

Clearly there is something about him that made him a great player and that aura and professionalism is something anybody would want to learn from. It doesn't mean everything else in the organisation is poor by comparison.

*he was captain for 4 FA Cup wins.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #2830 on: March 22, 2018, 01:31:08 PM »

5 league titles
5 FA Cups*
3 League Cups
European Cup
UEFA Cup

He's also been the PFA player of the year and been capped by England 78 times. He's won more in his career than all but 9 or 10 clubs in 140 years.

Clearly there is something about him that made him a great player and that aura and professionalism is something anybody would want to learn from. It doesn't mean everything else in the organisation is poor by comparison.

They are some pretty impressive stats whether you love him or loathe him it is hard not to be impressed

Offline Diablo

« Reply #2831 on: March 22, 2018, 01:32:23 PM »

5 league titles
5 FA Cups*
3 League Cups
European Cup
UEFA Cup

You forgot his Dad of the year award in 2009 ;-) As has been said it's an impressive honours list.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 01:42:06 PM by Diablo »

Offline Scratchins

• GM : 19.11.2024
« Reply #2832 on: March 22, 2018, 01:36:20 PM »
Clampy is right. Steve Round was asked specifically about John Terry and in the course of stating that he has said that he wants to play next season praised his contribution to the team on and off the field. He also mentioned that he heard a noise from the gym one day at 5pm, it was Terry and Snoddy playing head tennis, they went on until 6:30 with neither prepared to lose. He praised both of them for their will to win.

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #2833 on: March 22, 2018, 02:08:01 PM »
You only have to listen to Christenson the Chelsea player who as recently as last week praised the motivational speech Terry gave him.  If you don't seriously think he has been a fundamental and frankly vital change to the dressing room mentality this season then you are wrong. 

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #2834 on: March 22, 2018, 02:38:57 PM »
The youth players that emerged mid nineties under Fergiescum all cited Eric Cant na as a big influence, the way he would continue well after the alloted hours with shooting practice and free kicks.

That was in a team that already possessed the likes of Hughes, Ince and Keane. So I don't think there were many coasters in their training sessions.

But the Kung Fu King pushed himself even further, and kids pick up on that type thing.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal