collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John Terry - Gone  (Read 555393 times)

Offline Pat McMahon

Re: John Terry - signed
« Reply #2685 on: February 12, 2018, 09:28:51 PM »
I think we should put our collective humour and creative skills to compose a written tribute to John Terry.  I for one never, ever ever thought I would have a good word to say about him but I stand on what I wrote two weeks ago that he is the best player I have seen in a Villa shirt for a decade.

Chelsea fans who by common consent are as thick as pig shit have announced JT as Leader, Legend etc. I think Villa should give him the Palme D'Or of being "as good as some past Villa players".  Yes, I like that.  Nicely understated.
He's could be the next George Curtis.
Ha, you beat me to it Aftab, but I was going to say Fred Turnbull!

Offline Nastylee

« Reply #2686 on: February 12, 2018, 09:45:03 PM »
All this he gives a chance away. Do you expect him to win every challenge he goes for? If that were the case then no goals would ever be scored. I don't think it's any coincidence that his return to the fold has coincided with this run of wins. To think some thought Elphick should have kept him out!!!

Offline Damo70

« Reply #2687 on: February 12, 2018, 11:06:23 PM »
I think we should put our collective humour and creative skills to compose a written tribute to John Terry.  I for one never, ever ever thought I would have a good word to say about him but I stand on what I wrote two weeks ago that he is the best player I have seen in a Villa shirt for a decade.

Chelsea fans who by common consent are as thick as pig shit have announced JT as Leader, Legend etc. I think Villa should give him the Palme D'Or of being "as good as some past Villa players".  Yes, I like that.  Nicely understated.
He's could be the next George Curtis.
Ha, you beat me to it Aftab, but I was going to say Fred Turnbull!

If he didn't say the same player he didn't beat you to it Pat. ;)

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #2688 on: February 12, 2018, 11:10:17 PM »
For me, he's third behind God and Laursen in terms of ability. He's Chelsea's legend. That's fine. He's our captain and proving to be a tremendous leader in a very understated way.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #2689 on: February 13, 2018, 12:19:32 AM »
Fred was the only man who could have replaced George.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #2690 on: February 13, 2018, 08:57:32 AM »
As much as Terry looks to be enjoying life at the top of the Championship I'm not sure it's as clear cut him being up for a relegation scrap, losing more often than not.
Yeah, that's a good point.  Going out on the high of a promotion may appeal more than fizzling away in a relegation fight.  But I still think he'd be very useful and he has got some affinity for the team now. We'll see.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #2691 on: February 13, 2018, 09:28:35 AM »
As much as Terry looks to be enjoying life at the top of the Championship I'm not sure it's as clear cut him being up for a relegation scrap, losing more often than not.
Yeah, that's a good point.  Going out on the high of a promotion may appeal more than fizzling away in a relegation fight.  But I still think he'd be very useful and he has got some affinity for the team now. We'll see.

I think he'll go straight into coaching tbh. He's been constantly studying for the badges as his Instagram stories have shown, and even though he could probably squeeze out another year as a player, he knows himself the quality will start to deteriorate. I think you're both spot on that he'll think twice about carrying on in the bottom half of the PL when he could potentially go out on the high of promotion (should we get there). He also doesn't want to play against Chelsea.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #2692 on: February 13, 2018, 11:54:47 AM »
I'm probably slow on the uptake and this has probably been mentioned on here, but I just heard Sundays game was the largest attended home game he has played in.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #2693 on: February 13, 2018, 11:57:30 AM »
I'm probably slow on the uptake and this has probably been mentioned on here, but I just heard Sundays game was the largest attended home game he has played in.

It should've been but despite it being a sell out the attendance was reported as only 41,200.  Stamford Bridge holds 41,600 so he may well have played in front of larger home league crowds.

Given VP has a capacity of 42,785 I'm not sure where the 1,500 empty seats were.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #2694 on: February 13, 2018, 11:58:37 AM »

It should've been but despite it being a sell out the attendance was reported as only 41,200.  Stamford Bridge holds 41,600 so he may well have played in front of larger home league crowds.

Given VP has a capacity of 42,785 I'm not sure where the 1,500 empty seats were.

The North Stand corner and the first rows of the away bit.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #2695 on: February 13, 2018, 11:59:06 AM »
There was a gap for segregation. I can see the Wolves, Leeds and Derby games being very close to 42,000.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #2696 on: February 13, 2018, 11:59:38 AM »

1,500?!  I could see a couple of hundred in the corner but no more.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #2697 on: February 13, 2018, 12:02:27 PM »
Regardless, I doubt he's had anything like that atmosphere for any game at Stamford Bridge. 

Offline Comrade Blitz

• GM : 25.05.2019
« Reply #2698 on: February 13, 2018, 12:07:59 PM »
Given VP .....

When was Villa Park renamed in honour of our former keeper?

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #2699 on: February 13, 2018, 12:10:56 PM »

1,500?!  I could see a couple of hundred in the corner but no more.

They had 600 seats less than the away capacity.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal