collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Leon Bailey - signed by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 06:08:38 PM]

Re: Leon Bailey - signed by Forge10
[Today at 06:07:49 PM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Forge10
[Today at 06:06:00 PM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Forge10
[Today at 06:05:38 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Forge10
[Today at 06:04:45 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 06:02:07 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Forge10
[Today at 06:00:38 PM]

Re: Leon Bailey - signed by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 06:00:26 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John Terry - Gone  (Read 555278 times)

Offline Diablo

Re: John Terry - signed
« Reply #2415 on: December 19, 2017, 02:15:13 PM »
Terry is very good good, especially at 37 years of age. But he's no McGrath.

He’s just a very naughty boy.

A great philosopher once wrote
Naughty, naughty, very naughty

E's are Good E's are Good

Randomly went on a youtube journey this morning which ended up with me listening to that song for the first time in what must be a decade! Chris Moyles played a snippet of Cotton Eye Joe, I youtubed that, led me onto The Prodigy - Out of Space, The Grid  -Swamp thing and finally a playlist of the Shamen's greatest hits. Musical Pioneers!
Out of Space is a belter!

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #2416 on: December 19, 2017, 02:28:19 PM »
Listening to John Terry on Sky tonight I'm convinced he's got a job lined up on the management staff when we do get promoted. He'll retire from playing once we've achieved promotion. His list of contacts are second to none.

I've no doubt that's the case, all this support for the team whilst injured isn't a sudden conversion to our club. Still, if we get something out of it then he's useful on and off the field.

All this support? He was watching Chelsea at the weekend rather than us.

Who could blame him?!

He's also driven himself to watch a game in East Anglia when he wasn't playing, was on the bench in others whilst injured. Do you expect him to be at every game?

As team captain and on the books of the Villa to the tune of £60k a week?  Yes, I absolutely expect him to be there every game.

There seems to be an incredibly low expectation bar set for players these days - first he was lauded for doing some training and now he's being given a free pass to skip games when he'd rather go to watch Chelsea.  If the cost of my season ticket is contributing to his extortionate salary he can suffer our "performances" just like me!

Were you at Derby?

Pay me £60k a week and I'll go wherever you want me to go.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #2417 on: December 19, 2017, 02:35:45 PM »
This is a fucking stupid debate.  How many injured players do you seriously think go to all home and away games?  He's been to a substantial amount and that is to his credit.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2418 on: December 19, 2017, 02:44:53 PM »
Our major problem is the goals for column not the goals against. But I don't think anyone can seriously think that we aren't a better overall  team with Terry playing. The club seriously needs to focus on our attacking prowess.The defence, including the keeper are good enough to get us promoted but it won't happen until we rattle the onion bag a lot more often.

Absolutely, my point is more the one you make after, whilst Terry is a great player and does make us look better that hasn't translated to points on the board (the one stat I didn't include but it's fairly clear from the win and draw percentages that he doesn't really change our 'points per game' stat).  My post was aimed at the 'rather have Terry back than Kodjia' comments, Kodjia actually affects the table for us, Terry doesn't seem to despite being the better player of the 2.

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2419 on: December 19, 2017, 03:30:19 PM »

Randomly went on a youtube journey this morning which ended up with me listening to that song for the first time in what must be a decade! Chris Moyles played a snippet of Cotton Eye Joe, I youtubed that, led me onto The Prodigy - Out of Space, The Grid  -Swamp thing and finally a playlist of the Shamen's greatest hits. Musical Pioneers!
Yes!! Totally agree 👍 I'd vote for Out of Space for the teams to come out to at VP. That would get the place rocking

Offline Diablo

« Reply #2420 on: December 19, 2017, 03:38:01 PM »

Yes!! Totally agree 👍 I'd vote for Out of Space for the teams to come out to at VP. That would get the place rocking
Hahaha!  I think that's a great idea - chaos

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #2421 on: December 19, 2017, 03:45:04 PM »
Some are finding a way to get upset over absolutely nothing. He's not done anything to embarrass the club since arriving, dedicated himself while he played for us and is dedicating himself in trying to play again for us as soon as possible. He's here in a limited capacity, and in that context I accept he's not going to become "Villa" suddenly. What we are paying him is irrelevant because it's the going rate, and we have paid more for players who have given way less over a longer contract.

That he ultimately does it on the pitch is all I care about.

Offline Allan C

« Reply #2422 on: December 19, 2017, 03:48:02 PM »
Some are finding a way to get upset over absolutely nothing. He's not done anything to embarrass the club since arriving, dedicated himself while he played for us and is dedicating himself in trying to play again for us as soon as possible. He's here in a limited capacity, and in that context I accept he's not going to become "Villa" suddenly. What we are paying him is irrelevant because it's the going rate, and we have paid more for players who have given way less over a longer contract.

Totally in a nutshell

Offline Diablo

« Reply #2423 on: December 19, 2017, 03:55:56 PM »
I can see why some would get upset comparing Gerald Appleyard (who so far has made 16 appearances for us in the 2nd division) with Paul McGrath who made 253 appearances for us in the top division. In my opinion (despite the comparisons) they shouldn't even be mentioned in the same paragraph ;-)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 04:09:07 PM by Diablo »

Offline WarszaVillan

• GM : 06.10.2023
« Reply #2424 on: December 19, 2017, 03:59:02 PM »

He's still a prick though

Offline chrisw1

« Reply #2425 on: December 19, 2017, 05:21:11 PM »
I can see why some would get upset comparing Gerald Appleyard (who so far has made 16 appearances for us in the 2nd division) with Paul McGrath who made 253 appearances for us in the top division. In my opinion (despite the comparisons) they shouldn't even be mentioned in the same paragraph ;-)
Drop the Appleyard thing, it's pathetic beyond belief.  But yes I agree, Terry is no Paul McGrath.

Offline The Edge

« Reply #2426 on: December 19, 2017, 05:28:54 PM »
Drop the Appleyard thing, it's pathetic beyond belief.  But yes I agree, Terry is no Paul McGrath.
Can someone please tell me who the fuck Gerald Appleyard is?

Offline The Edge

« Reply #2427 on: December 19, 2017, 05:35:01 PM »

Hahaha!  I think that's a great idea - chaos
Yeah imagine everyone jumping around at the bass drop? I've even thought of lyrics "I'm an Aston Villa fan proud of what I am. I'm an Aston Villa fan proud of what I am" with the bass thundering around Villa Park. Aye.

Offline chrisw1

« Reply #2428 on: December 19, 2017, 05:41:33 PM »
It's a name to replace 'John Terry'  Some think is humorous.  It's not.

Offline The Edge

« Reply #2429 on: December 19, 2017, 05:44:14 PM »
It's a name to replace 'John Terry'  Some think is humorous.  It's not.
Thanks. And I agree. It's not funny.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal