collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Champions League Contention by Demitri_C
[Today at 07:38:12 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by nigel
[Today at 07:34:30 PM]

Robin Olsen by VillaTim
[Today at 07:34:00 PM]

VAR by astonvilla82
[Today at 07:33:20 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by VillaTim
[Today at 07:33:02 PM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by VillaTim
[Today at 07:32:28 PM]

Morgan Rogers - Signed by Smithy
[Today at 07:26:06 PM]

Crystal Palace by Fingers
[Today at 07:18:14 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Champions League Contention by Demitri_C
[Today at 07:38:12 PM]

Re: Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by nigel
[Today at 07:34:30 PM]

Re: Robin Olsen by VillaTim
[Today at 07:34:00 PM]

Re: VAR by astonvilla82
[Today at 07:33:20 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by VillaTim
[Today at 07:33:02 PM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by VillaTim
[Today at 07:32:28 PM]

Re: Robin Olsen by KevinGage
[Today at 07:32:24 PM]

Re: Morgan Rogers - Signed by Smithy
[Today at 07:26:06 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John Terry - Gone  (Read 556755 times)

Offline AVH87

• GM : 13.02.2021
Re: John Terry - signed
« Reply #1815 on: August 15, 2017, 02:57:48 PM »
Rosenior who has a contract with Premier League Brighton? Wish I struggled for work in a similar fashion.

That's Liam Rosenior.

Offline Simon Page

« Reply #1816 on: August 15, 2017, 03:38:54 PM »
With the obvious caveat of "if this is true", this is the sort of thing I hate to see happen. I'd have no problem with this if he was brought in to add a bit of matchday brilliance which really moves us on. But I have a problem with him being captain yet not committing to the club totally. We aren't a retirement home for the self-entitled and, while I've no doubt Terry is the most accomplished player on our books, he's not so vital that we need to have him as highest paid, club captain, working from home, etc. It's never good when players get treated this way, either for the team as a whole or the player himself. I don't know why the club would think it was a good idea to accept this.

Offline Joshua Fineman

« Reply #1817 on: August 15, 2017, 03:49:53 PM »
Can't be true, surely?

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #1818 on: August 15, 2017, 04:15:56 PM »
Rosenior who has a contract with Premier League Brighton? Wish I struggled for work in a similar fashion.

That's Liam Rosenior.

Leroy is the Dad!!  Last seen doing the Football League show with Maniche that was on the BBC at a ridiculously late time.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #1819 on: August 15, 2017, 04:19:15 PM »
My mistake, know that Liam is a columnist for The Guardian now, just didn't read properly. Nothing anybody ever says about John Terry will upset me, unless they say he's a great bloke.

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #1820 on: August 15, 2017, 04:32:33 PM »
If it is true, it's just the sort of thing I expected when we signed him, not terrible in the grand scheme of things but not ideal either.

Wasn't there a story that Pires being driven chauffeur driven up from London every day or some such? Either way, that didn't turn out very well and my fear is the same for our big summer signing. Yet again, I hope I am way off the mark.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #1821 on: August 15, 2017, 04:37:05 PM »
Personally I rather him immerse him self in villa culture and be bonding with villa team mates off field.
It's only a year . Needs to take on job and be local . Rosenior is right about letting go I question the other day when he appeared in Instagram photos .
Unlikely to build team spirit when the ex is around . You're with us now JT. This has gone Charles Diana and Camilla  sniff about it . Similar  scenario
We needed a  Paul burrel loyalty not this 3 days non committal business
Paul Burrel loyalty, you mean in a few years time the Aston Villa trophy cabinets, nets and goal posts will all turn up mysteriously in JTs garage?

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #1822 on: August 15, 2017, 04:40:38 PM »
Hasn't stopped him being good. Maybe Chester should train with the Bitters after his abominable display.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #1823 on: August 15, 2017, 05:52:54 PM »
I didn't see him dishing out monumental bollockings for the shit we were enduring on Saturday and that is something I did expect.

Offline AV5nobs

« Reply #1824 on: August 15, 2017, 06:08:47 PM »
Bollockings should be left for the dressing room, to which we are not privy.

But if they have not occurred there then I'm with you 100%.

Online CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #1825 on: August 15, 2017, 06:13:27 PM »
I didn't see him dishing out monumental bollockings for the shit we were enduring on Saturday and that is something I did expect.

Exactly. I was led to believe he wouldn't accept second best from anyone. Captain, leader and all that.

Maybe the BMH curse has hit him too.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #1826 on: August 15, 2017, 06:33:48 PM »

Exactly. I was led to believe he wouldn't accept second best from anyone. Captain, leader and all that.

Maybe the BMH curse has hit him too.

If it has then it can stop tonight. We wanted him not so much for his ability but to lead the team. If he isn't leading them then it was a bad signing. Terry needs to be admonishing his colleagues every game until they get their shit together. It might just save Bruce his job.

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #1827 on: August 15, 2017, 06:36:57 PM »

Wasn't there a story that Pires being driven chauffeur driven up from London every day or some such? Either way, that didn't turn out very well and my fear is the same for our big summer signing. Yet again, I hope I am way off the mark.

If that is the price to be paid for getting players a level or two beyond what you're used to, most sides would pay it.  The issue with us at the time is that 57 year old Robert Pires wasn't a cut above at that stage in his career. He wasn't giving us anywhere near enough on the pitch to justify preferential treatment.

And Houllier had insisted that all other players must live within a 30 minute commute from Bodymoor Heath.  So I'm sure that went down well.  He (Houllier) might have had something earlier in his career. But those kind of divisive decisions and his rare gift for foot in mouth incidents from the getgo mean I don't look back at that period with fondness at all.

We pursued Terry over a fair chunk of the summer, for good or for ill.  And those conditions may have been the sticking point, which is why he didn't sign soon after the first link. If we agreed to it then (or made some sort of compromise) we can't really go back on that now.

It does increase the pressure on him to deliver though.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 06:39:25 PM by KevinGage »

Offline Simon Page

« Reply #1828 on: August 15, 2017, 06:49:34 PM »
I question what Terry can realistically offer. He's a brilliant footballer and I've got no reason to doubt his commitment on the pitch, but he's a centre back. If, and I stress if, he's on wildly different terms to the rest of the squad he needs to be the difference between promotion and not. Given our issues, I don't think he can be. I don't blame Terry for that but, again if true, I do blame the manager/club for allowing a situation where we've accommodated in a position we don't need to accommodate in. If we've got spare cash and exceptional circumstances to give away, give it to a midfield playmaker or a striker that our "style" suits. It's a side issue given everything that is not right with the club, but the Terry deal feels Schmeichel-esque in its pointlessness.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #1829 on: August 15, 2017, 07:03:23 PM »
It all has a very Sherwoodian feel about it. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal