collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John Terry - Gone  (Read 555122 times)

Online The Edge

• GM : PCM
Re: John Terry - signed
« Reply #1440 on: July 06, 2017, 12:03:29 PM »
Didn't Cleverley sing that as well?
Well if he didn't sing it as well as Terry he must have been fucking awful

Offline boozey182

« Reply #1441 on: July 06, 2017, 12:25:10 PM »
On the boycott front, I think I would be much more likely to go through with one (and I admit to threatening it when we were linked to Terry, before weakly backing down when faced with the reality of what it would mean), if I thought it would make any difference. But the fact is, it won't. I, for one, admire the man who wrote the article, and at least by publicising it, he has a chance of it making an impact. What's the use of making a point if you don't tell anyone? It's utterly meaningless. And to give up something you love, surely you would have to feel like you were working towards a greater good?

The problem is though, fans of any club don't have one identity. There is only one thing that you can guarantee they have in common; that they support their team. They all have different backgrounds, are from different races, different classes, have different political beliefs and lifestyles, so to get a serious number of them to passionately get behind any cause (certainly enough to boycott matches) is virtually impossible. The reality is we're much more likely to all come together, not over racism or any 'values', but because someone trying is change the colours of the kit or something (relatively) mundane like that.

And that is precisely why football clubs (and the industry) have the most loyal fans over a barrel. We'll turn up whatever. It's both depressing and impressive.

I have to also add that the whole debate over Terry has been (speaking objectively and as a member of the 'losing' side) fascinating. Particularly on this site where people from pretty much all points of view have made eloquent and thought provoking points. A credit to the club.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #1442 on: July 06, 2017, 01:25:48 PM »
On the boycott front, I think I would be much more likely to go through with one (and I admit to threatening it when we were linked to Terry, before weakly backing down when faced with the reality of what it would mean), if I thought it would make any difference. But the fact is, it won't. I, for one, admire the man who wrote the article, and at least by publicising it, he has a chance of it making an impact. What's the use of making a point if you don't tell anyone? It's utterly meaningless. And to give up something you love, surely you would have to feel like you were working towards a greater good?

And that is precisely why football clubs (and the industry) have the most loyal fans over a barrel. We'll turn up whatever. It's both depressing and impressive.

Agree, but has the time for discussing a boycott now passed?  I can see merit in threatening a boycott in the hope of preventing something happening, but once it has happened then isn't it a different situation?  I accept that the person who wrote that article has his own views and he feels strongly enough to stop watching us, but he doesn't make clear in the article what he hopes boycotting will achieve.  Is he hoping that by boycotting games, Terry won't be picked in the side? 

I guess it comes down to a personal choice and although I would have preferred John Terry not to have signed for us, he has and barring injury he is going to be playing in our colours.         

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #1443 on: July 06, 2017, 01:34:51 PM »
Following a sports team isn't like dating a girl you just met. You can't just walk away because you dislike something however much you think you can. You might threaten it. You might even avoid it for a bit but it is so ingrained in your life that it will suck you back in. And if Terry's arrival churns your stomach but he helps to win games, we get promoted and then leaves you'll forget he ever existed.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #1444 on: July 06, 2017, 01:37:54 PM »
I'd imagine the majority that are boycotting are doing so knowing it won't change anything, so it's not to achieve anything apart from doing what they feel is right for them.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #1445 on: July 06, 2017, 01:40:52 PM »
Following a sports team isn't like dating a girl you just met. You can't just walk away because you dislike something however much you think you can. You might threaten it. You might even avoid it for a bit but it is so ingrained in your life that it will suck you back in. And if Terry's arrival churns your stomach but he helps to win games, we get promoted and then leaves you'll forget he ever existed.

Of course you can walk away. Thousands already have.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1446 on: July 06, 2017, 01:49:56 PM »

Following and actively attending are different things, walking away from a season ticket and/or merchandising is easy enough, stopping caring about results is much harder.

Online Toronto Villa

« Reply #1447 on: July 06, 2017, 01:52:37 PM »

Walking away, means precisely that. I don't mean not buying a ticket or a new shirt when it comes out. I mean stopping caring altogether. Never talking about Villa, never looking for the score, taking up another hobby. It's not that easy given that many people will have their social circles built around it.

Offline boozey182

« Reply #1448 on: July 06, 2017, 01:58:47 PM »

Agree, but has the time for discussing a boycott now passed?  I can see merit in threatening a boycott in the hope of preventing something happening, but once it has happened then isn't it a different situation?  I accept that the person who wrote that article has his own views and he feels strongly enough to stop watching us, but he doesn't make clear in the article what he hopes boycotting will achieve.  Is he hoping that by boycotting games, Terry won't be picked in the side? 

I guess it comes down to a personal choice and although I would have preferred John Terry not to have signed for us, he has and barring injury he is going to be playing in our colours.         

That's fair. I can't speak for that guy, but maybe he feels the battle is lost, but the war could still be won. Maybe if clubs saw that fans did actually go through with their threats, then they might have to consider the impact of that in the future. As it is, you get people like me that threaten it and then ultimately relent, which they don't have to ever worry about. So I admire him for it.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #1449 on: July 06, 2017, 02:02:20 PM »
I'd imagine the majority that are boycotting are doing so knowing it won't change anything, so it's not to achieve anything apart from doing what they feel is right for them.

This

Online Pat McMahon

« Reply #1450 on: July 06, 2017, 02:04:14 PM »

If he helps us achieve all of that i most certainly won't forget he ever existed :)

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #1451 on: July 06, 2017, 02:06:25 PM »

Walking away, means precisely that. I don't mean not buying a ticket or a new shirt when it comes out. I mean stopping caring altogether. Never talking about Villa, never looking for the score, taking up another hobby. It's not that easy given that many people will have their social circles built around it.

You mean it would be difficult for you. It probably would be for me, too. Not everyone though. I've known plenty of people who have been regular attendees at Villa (or down the road) who lose all interest and couldn't tell you if or who their team are playing on a weekly basis.

You've stayed that "you can't just walk away". Lots of people do, all the time.

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #1452 on: July 06, 2017, 02:09:40 PM »
Even when we had money coming out of our ears when Lerner arrived, we were still happy to sign James Collins and Richard Dunne (good players in their own right) rather than say a Lescott who at the time was valued at over £20m - I know he turned into a prick but I am just citing him as an example of the supermarket we were shopping in even in them days.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #1453 on: July 06, 2017, 02:11:02 PM »
Plenty of people protest and boycott clubs, doesn't mean they stop talking about the club or following results etc.

There's also plenty that have turned their backs on their club for one reason or another as CD says. Non league support is full of folks that have turned their backs on their 'proper' club.

Online Toronto Villa

« Reply #1454 on: July 06, 2017, 02:30:29 PM »

You mean it would be difficult for you. It probably would be for me, too. Not everyone though. I've known plenty of people who have been regular attendees at Villa (or down the road) who lose all interest and couldn't tell you if or who their team are playing on a weekly basis.

You've stayed that "you can't just walk away". Lots of people do, all the time.

And they never look at Villa results again, or talk about the club with friends? Something that they might have done previously for 20 years. You have to have some resolve to completely detach yourself from something you were so passionate about.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal