collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by nigel
[Today at 02:17:15 PM]

Season Tickets - 2023/24 by Max Villan
[Today at 02:15:30 PM]

Peter McParland 90 today by jon collett
[Today at 02:13:38 PM]

Ollie Watkins by dave.woodhall
[Today at 01:57:32 PM]

Ex- Villa Players still playing watch by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 01:53:30 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Ian.
[Today at 01:48:55 PM]

Saturday night fever - Chelsea at home by dave.woodhall
[Today at 01:23:49 PM]

Diego Carlos by OCD
[Today at 01:21:52 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by nigel
[Today at 02:17:15 PM]

Re: Season Tickets - 2023/24 by Max Villan
[Today at 02:15:30 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 02:14:59 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brend'Watkins
[Today at 02:14:26 PM]

Re: Peter McParland 90 today by jon collett
[Today at 02:13:38 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by nigel
[Today at 02:12:49 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by AlexAlexCropley
[Today at 02:09:49 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by lovejoy
[Today at 02:06:12 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John Terry - Gone  (Read 555032 times)

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
Re: John Terry - signed
« Reply #1275 on: July 04, 2017, 01:04:44 PM »
The pundits, media and neutrals all seem to think we have played a blinder with this move.

Most of the coverage I have seen has led off with 'Terry: I couldn't face Chelsea' and variations on a similar theme. That's the story.

Might as well get used to it, as every press conference he'll get put through from now on will spend 20/30 minutes asking him about Chelsea's Champions League credentials/ Conti's resignation/ Roman's favourite colour and about 5 minutes on Villa v Burton Albion or whoever.

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #1276 on: July 04, 2017, 01:06:40 PM »

I didn't want John Terry at the club and it's a waste of energy banging on about it but, if Terry gives credence to even thinking like that even though it was in the past, it leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

Honestly, and I mean this sincerely to hopefully put your mind at ease. I dont think John Terry gives any kind of credence to that kind of thinking. I really dont. Happily (look no further than here) even the notion of racism is called out loudly by fellow fans.

I know the world seems a bit crap at the moment but I do think that (in British football at least) racism is far far less tolerated than years ago and is met with anger or bafflement when seen. Progress has been made and I dont think its going anywhere.

I also happen to think that no matter what was in his heart years ago John Terry got the message loud and clear during his case.

I hope that helps because I would hate to think you or any respected fellow fan couldn't enjoy watching Villa play next season because of John Terry for whatever reason. It wont embolden racists because the we and you wont let that happen.

Thanks for the reply Ciggies, your sentiments are appreciated.  I'm past the stage of being angry over it, doesn't make me glad it happened though.

As borne out by almost everyone on here, there is no room for racism or indeed discrimination of any kind in our lives.

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #1277 on: July 04, 2017, 01:30:25 PM »
Can the moderators put some sort of filter on to prevent him being referred to as 'JT' please? I keep dry retching at the sight of it.

I would like to sign something to confirm my support for this proposal.

Thirded. 

Providing we call him Don Tutti Belafonte, or something equally befitting his stature.

Offline jeowje

« Reply #1278 on: July 04, 2017, 02:01:25 PM »
He might be a massive racist, but he's our massive racist now.

So that's alright then ? :(

It was only a joke.

yeh right ...racism is hilarious

I hear you're a racist now Villa.

I have been going to Villa Park for over 30 years and can honestly only ever recall being in earshot of two racist incidents involving our fans.  The first was when one of our own supporters shouted "come on you black bastard" at Dion Dublin and the other was when.someone went into a rant at Swansea fans and included "f*cking pakis and blacks " in it for some reason.  Both times they were individuals who came out with it and both times our own fans around them confronted them about it.   The latter situation turned a bit nasty and the club got involved after some complaints. 

So to suggest there is a large extreme right wing element is a little wide if the mark in my experience.

Although this has been covered now really, just wanted to add my experience of this. I started standing (well sitting on the barriers with my dad holding me) on the Holte in about 1988 and I remember racism was rife and commonplace. Lots of people shouting "you black c**t!" and similar regularly- at both our own players and the opposition. We were certainly not talking about one off incidents here.

Even as a child, not fully understanding or aware of racism, I recognised that this was deeply unpleasant and it sort of hurt me, was one of the few bad memories of my early time watching villa.

But then I was quite a sensitive child- I also  remembered feeling upset and angry after hearing somebody shout "fu*ck off you useless string of p*ss!" at Ian Ormondroyd.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #1279 on: July 04, 2017, 02:15:11 PM »
As a useless string of piss myself I find that very hurtful, also true.

Online papa lazarou

• GM : 06.11.2020
« Reply #1280 on: July 04, 2017, 02:15:47 PM »
Can the moderators put some sort of filter on to prevent him being referred to as 'JT' please? I keep dry retching at the sight of it.

I would like to sign something to confirm my support for this proposal.

Thirded. 

Providing we call him Don Tutti Belafonte, or something equally befitting his stature.

The EFL should also be approached about changing the name of our club to John Terry's Aston Villa, as it will inevitably be described in the coming months.

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #1281 on: July 04, 2017, 02:19:29 PM »
The name will have to be "John Terry's Aston Villa as long as they don't play Chelsea"

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #1282 on: July 04, 2017, 02:24:14 PM »
I love AVFC without any reservations. However, because I love Villa does not mean that I have to like every person who works for the club, or every player that plays for the club.

Moving on, from what I have seen and heard of JT today I thought he handled the media very well and did not come across as being "thick", which I did not expect.

Finally and completely irrelevant I have only ever met 2 Villa players as far as I can recall, and one was our family GP when I was a child growing up in Aldridge.

Your final comment intrigues me. We had a player who became a GP?

Sorry reply delayed by overnight sleep, but yes way back in time Villa had a GP player. He was Dr Victor Milne, a Scot, played centre half and was in the 1924 FA Cup Final team. Last amateur to play for the Villa I believe. When I was a boy I had an infected knee which became swollen and he did a house call to lance it and clean out the infection. So to this day I have a scar inflicted by a Villa player! On one of his house calls dad got him to autograph a copy of the Peter Morris history book - the original edition I think. Still got it. He later became club doctor and his surgery in Portland Road, Aldridge had photographs of Villa teams of his era dotted about the walls of the Waiting Room. Probably only got into the team because Tommy Ball, who was expected to be one of the greats, got into an argument an off duty policeman neighbour and was shot an killed by said copper. Ball had succeeded the somewhat notorious Frank Barson at centre half.

The other player I came across was John Robson who was a member of the same MS Society branch as my wife.

Great story NL!

Offline berneboy

• John 3:16
« Reply #1283 on: July 04, 2017, 02:32:00 PM »
I see John Terry talks of Gary Cahill as a man-mountain of a captain, a real leader. If only ....

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #1284 on: July 04, 2017, 02:36:52 PM »
Time for JT to bring Gaz ''home'' too.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #1285 on: July 04, 2017, 02:50:43 PM »
I really hope we draw Chelsea in the cup and make him play!

Offline Allan C

« Reply #1286 on: July 04, 2017, 02:51:55 PM »
I can't stand the bloke for all the reasons already stated. But additionally, we're paying a lot of money per week on wages for a player who clearly won't be able to appear in a substantial amount of games.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #1287 on: July 04, 2017, 03:00:04 PM »
I hope he does really well for Villa his experience for the other players will be vital if we are to challenge for promotion there's no place for racism in any walk of life I just want us to concentrate on the football this season and give us a chance to get back to the top.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #1288 on: July 04, 2017, 03:06:22 PM »
I can't stand the bloke for all the reasons already stated. But additionally, we're paying a lot of money per week on wages for a player who clearly won't be able to appear in a substantial amount of games.

Why not?  It's not clear at all, he may be just as likely to appear in the vast majority.

Offline manic-road

« Reply #1289 on: July 04, 2017, 03:19:03 PM »

Is he injured already?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal