collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Morgan Rogers - Signed by PaulWinch again
[Today at 10:20:50 PM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Beard82
[Today at 10:20:38 PM]

Robin Olsen by Smithy
[Today at 10:19:57 PM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by Axl Rose
[Today at 10:19:04 PM]

Diego Carlos by RichardBatchelor
[Today at 10:18:43 PM]

Aston Villa v Chelsea Match Thread by Goldenballs
[Today at 10:11:40 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 10:04:00 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John Terry - Gone  (Read 555553 times)

Offline ColinMac

• GM : 12.05.2021
Re: John Terry - signed
« Reply #1245 on: July 04, 2017, 08:27:08 AM »
He might be a massive racist, but he's our massive racist now.

So that's alright then ? :(

It was only a joke.

yeh right ...racism is hilarious

I hear you're a racist now Villa.

I have been going to Villa Park for over 30 years and can honestly only ever recall being in earshot of two racist incidents involving our fans.  The first was when one of our own supporters shouted "come on you black bastard" at Dion Dublin and the other was when.someone went into a rant at Swansea fans and included "f*cking pakis and blacks " in it for some reason.  Both times they were individuals who came out with it and both times our own fans around them confronted them about it.   The latter situation turned a bit nasty and the club got involved after some complaints. 

So to suggest there is a large extreme right wing element is a little wide if the mark in my experience.

So the Father Ted reference went straight over your head.

Online itbrvilla

• GM : 16.02.2022
« Reply #1246 on: July 04, 2017, 08:41:19 AM »

It was only a joke.

I have been going to Villa Park for over 30 years and can honestly only ever recall being in earshot of two racist incidents involving our fans.  The first was when one of our own supporters shouted "come on you black bastard" at Dion Dublin and the other was when.someone went into a rant at Swansea fans and included "f*cking pakis and blacks " in it for some reason.  Both times they were individuals who came out with it and both times our own fans around them confronted them about it.   The latter situation turned a bit nasty and the club got involved after some complaints. 

So to suggest there is a large extreme right wing element is a little wide if the mark in my experience.

Can't stop laughing  at that. Perhaps the accent wasn't very good.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #1247 on: July 04, 2017, 08:47:05 AM »
The pundits, media and neutrals all seem to think we have played a blinder with this move.

Online dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #1248 on: July 04, 2017, 08:47:34 AM »

It was only a joke.

I don't know how old you are Tom but, I can assure you that in my time at the Villa racism was at times particularly nasty.  A couple of examples:

'N****r,N****r, lick my boots'.

'We believe in de Villa, whoa yea'.  Sung whilst raising the arms and shaking the hands a la minstrel style.

As for the bananas, well we won't bother going there.

No one around in those days to put a stop to it.  For someone like me and to be fair, many other people, it was disgusting, shameful and just so unnecessary.

I didn't want John Terry at the club and it's a waste of energy banging on about it but, if Terry gives credence to even thinking like that even though it was in the past, it leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

Offline Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
« Reply #1249 on: July 04, 2017, 08:56:18 AM »
*Sigh*
You're here now. Please don't be shit.

It's all you can say isn't it really.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #1250 on: July 04, 2017, 08:58:08 AM »

It was only a joke.

No it didn't, I meant to reply to the post below yours!

Online villabear

« Reply #1251 on: July 04, 2017, 09:12:54 AM »

It was only a joke.

I don't know how old you are Tom but, I can assure you that in my time at the Villa racism was at times particularly nasty.  A couple of examples:

'We believe in de Villa, whoa yea'.  Sung whilst raising the arms and shaking the hands a la minstrel style.

No one around in those days to put a stop to it.  For someone like me and to be fair, many other people, it was disgusting, shameful and just so unnecessary.

I didn't want John Terry at the club and it's a waste of energy banging on about it but, if Terry gives credence to even thinking like that even though it was in the past, it leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

I've sang "do you believe in the Villa"? loads of times but never with 'da Villa' and never sung like that. I've never once thought it had any racist meaning behind it.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #1252 on: July 04, 2017, 09:24:46 AM »

It was only a joke.

Started going in the mid 80's Dave and can honestly say that those are the only two incidents I've ever encountered with Villa fans.  There have been of course incidents with other fans both at Villa Park and well into the 90's as well.

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #1253 on: July 04, 2017, 09:35:47 AM »

Honestly, and I mean this sincerely to hopefully put your mind at ease. I dont think John Terry gives any kind of credence to that kind of thinking. I really dont. Happily (look no further than here) even the notion of racism is called out loudly by fellow fans.

I know the world seems a bit crap at the moment but I do think that (in British football at least) racism is far far less tolerated than years ago and is met with anger or bafflement when seen. Progress has been made and I dont think its going anywhere.

I also happen to think that no matter what was in his heart years ago John Terry got the message loud and clear during his case.

I hope that helps because I would hate to think you or any respected fellow fan couldn't enjoy watching Villa play next season because of John Terry for whatever reason. It wont embolden racists because the we and you wont let that happen.

Offline Nelson Lodge

« Reply #1254 on: July 04, 2017, 10:56:13 AM »
I love AVFC without any reservations. However, because I love Villa does not mean that I have to like every person who works for the club, or every player that plays for the club.

Moving on, from what I have seen and heard of JT today I thought he handled the media very well and did not come across as being "thick", which I did not expect.

Finally and completely irrelevant I have only ever met 2 Villa players as far as I can recall, and one was our family GP when I was a child growing up in Aldridge.

Your final comment intrigues me. We had a player who became a GP?

Sorry reply delayed by overnight sleep, but yes way back in time Villa had a GP player. He was Dr Victor Milne, a Scot, played centre half and was in the 1924 FA Cup Final team. Last amateur to play for the Villa I believe. When I was a boy I had an infected knee which became swollen and he did a house call to lance it and clean out the infection. So to this day I have a scar inflicted by a Villa player! On one of his house calls dad got him to autograph a copy of the Peter Morris history book - the original edition I think. Still got it. He later became club doctor and his surgery in Portland Road, Aldridge had photographs of Villa teams of his era dotted about the walls of the Waiting Room. Probably only got into the team because Tommy Ball, who was expected to be one of the greats, got into an argument an off duty policeman neighbour and was shot an killed by said copper. Ball had succeeded the somewhat notorious Frank Barson at centre half.

The other player I came across was John Robson who was a member of the same MS Society branch as my wife.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #1255 on: July 04, 2017, 11:27:45 AM »
Can the moderators put some sort of filter on to prevent him being referred to as 'JT' please? I keep dry retching at the sight of it.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #1256 on: July 04, 2017, 11:29:53 AM »
Can the moderators put some sort of filter on to prevent him being referred to as 'JT' please? I keep dry retching at the sight of it.
You need to get over this Chris.  And if he plays a significant part in a promotion season I'm pretty sure you will.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #1257 on: July 04, 2017, 11:36:50 AM »
You need to get over this Chris.  And if he plays a significant part in a promotion season I'm pretty sure you will.

Is it that obvious I despise the man? Now he's known only by his initials by some on here it's only a matter of time before the 'captain, leader etc' starts appearing on club merchandise.

Offline WarszaVillan

• GM : 06.10.2023
« Reply #1258 on: July 04, 2017, 11:41:13 AM »
Brave JT?

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #1259 on: July 04, 2017, 11:43:27 AM »
I agree. I think we should change his name entirely to something inoffensive like Russell Stevens or Gerald Appleyard. Reinvent him completely.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal