collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John Terry - Gone  (Read 555265 times)

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: John Terry - signed
« Reply #1155 on: July 03, 2017, 02:20:43 PM »
The bit I find odd is the comments I've seen here and multiple other places about him coming in and organising the defence.  The defence was, generally, solid most of last season.  We had plenty of clean sheets in the new year so I don't know what people expect.  All of our problems are down to organisation in midfield and training and I just don't see how Terry addresses those issues.  He might add a few goals from corners, which will just further my belief that Bruce would be happy winning 1-0 and only committing people forward to set pieces.

Thou I agree the defence was one of the best statistically in the league , there was times when we went ahead and we then turned into headless chickens , we were not good under pressure and how many late goals did we concede.   

Though we had a good defensive record under Bruce last season, a lot of that was as much to do with having 10 men behind the ball and not committing men forwards as it was to the defenders suddenly becoming good at defending. If we want Bruce to tactically be a tad more expansive then you could be looking at the defence stats being more like those under RDM at the start of the season. I am hoping having a more solid option than Baker alongside the generally excellent Chester will let us be more expansive in midfield without the defence going to shit.

See this is the bit that I'm not sure about.  I agree totally on the fact that we defended well because we defended in numbers, anyone who saw us play can tell you that. The issue is that Bruce has done that pretty much everywhere he's been.  There's an argument that he's never had a defender of the standard of Terry so maybe he'll be more willing to trust his defence now but there's no evidence to back that up.

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #1156 on: July 03, 2017, 02:27:49 PM »
The most punchable face in football since Dennis Wise.

But this isn't an Alex McLeish moment, quite the opposite. McLeish was shit, but not a shit bloke, whereas Terry is a shit bloke, but not shit.

It isn't about organising a defence. It's much bigger than that. It's about convincing the whole squad that they are at a football club and not a country spa. That they're in the business of winning, not just accepting huge wages, driving Lambos and having a shit Instagram account. He's here to intimidate them into behaving like professional footballers.

I'm not convinced he can do that, but I'm willing to give him a chance as a player. As a bloke, my thoughts on him don't really change.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #1157 on: July 03, 2017, 02:31:36 PM »
Not sure how you intimidate somebody into behaving like a professional footballer.

Offline SamTheMouse

• Location: The Land of the Fragrant Founders of Human Rights, Fine Wines & Bikinis
  • GM : 03.11.2024
« Reply #1158 on: July 03, 2017, 02:33:33 PM »
My moral compass broke ages ago. I'm so disillusioned these days, I couldn't be arsed if we signed the reanimated corpse of Augusto Pinochet, provided it meant we were likely to be less shit.

Offline Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle

• GM : 06.07.2024
« Reply #1159 on: July 03, 2017, 02:34:08 PM »
I understand that his father will be selling a variety of half time pick me ups at a kiosk just outside the toilets in the Trinity Road Stand.

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1160 on: July 03, 2017, 02:35:43 PM »
I understand that his father will be selling a variety of half time pick me ups at a kiosk just outside the toilets in the Trinity Road Stand.

Right everyone, enough dissent. Let's make this work for all of us.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #1161 on: July 03, 2017, 02:36:20 PM »
Now 6/1 to win the title. Do you want to be against us? Probably as that would be where the value is.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #1162 on: July 03, 2017, 02:37:07 PM »
The bit I find odd is the comments I've seen here and multiple other places about him coming in and organising the defence.  The defence was, generally, solid most of last season.  We had plenty of clean sheets in the new year so I don't know what people expect.  All of our problems are down to organisation in midfield and training and I just don't see how Terry addresses those issues.  He might add a few goals from corners, which will just further my belief that Bruce would be happy winning 1-0 and only committing people forward to set pieces.

Thou I agree the defence was one of the best statistically in the league , there was times when we went ahead and we then turned into headless chickens , we were not good under pressure and how many late goals did we concede.   

Though we had a good defensive record under Bruce last season, a lot of that was as much to do with having 10 men behind the ball and not committing men forwards as it was to the defenders suddenly becoming good at defending. If we want Bruce to tactically be a tad more expansive then you could be looking at the defence stats being more like those under RDM at the start of the season. I am hoping having a more solid option than Baker alongside the generally excellent Chester will let us be more expansive in midfield without the defence going to shit.

See this is the bit that I'm not sure about.  I agree totally on the fact that we defended well because we defended in numbers, anyone who saw us play can tell you that. The issue is that Bruce has done that pretty much everywhere he's been.  There's an argument that he's never had a defender of the standard of Terry so maybe he'll be more willing to trust his defence now but there's no evidence to back that up.

The problem I foresee though Paul is that we will have to defend deep with Terry in the side, whereas I think we would benefit from keeping a fairly high defensive line and trying to squeeze teams a bit more.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #1163 on: July 03, 2017, 02:38:13 PM »
Terry to Johnny Danger. Oi, Codge, bin them accountancy books, yer coming with me down the betting shop.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1164 on: July 03, 2017, 02:38:44 PM »

The problem I foresee though Paul is that we will have to defend deep with Terry in the side, whereas I think we would benefit from keeping a fairly high defensive line and trying to squeeze teams a bit more.

That's very possible.

Offline postal

« Reply #1165 on: July 03, 2017, 02:48:53 PM »
It wont be a bed of roses, but I doubt he'll do something as stupid of "having his mobile send a photo of his car, whilst in his pocket"

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #1166 on: July 03, 2017, 02:53:12 PM »

Didn't want him.
Didn't really see any need to sign him.
Think the wages are absolutely ridiculous.

And mainly I feel sorry for Baker, because if he can't start at this level at his age he should look for a new club. Which if he does will leave us in yet another mess come next season

But welcome John. Don't let us down.

Offline NeilH

« Reply #1167 on: July 03, 2017, 03:04:05 PM »
In my eyes he’s been brought in resolve an ingrained problem at the club and I’m not remotely convinced that the likes of Micah Richards will rock up their gazillion pound cars tomorrow morning and suddenly behave like model footballers, as they see JT pulling into Bodymoor.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #1168 on: July 03, 2017, 03:09:52 PM »
My moral compass broke ages ago. I'm so disillusioned these days, I couldn't be arsed if we signed the reanimated corpse of Augusto Pinochet, provided it meant we were likely to be less shit.

Say what you like but he could fill a stadium.

Online usav

• GM : 09.02.2019
« Reply #1169 on: July 03, 2017, 03:10:32 PM »

And mainly I feel sorry for Baker, because if he can't start at this level at his age he should look for a new club. Which if he does will leave us in yet another mess come next season

But welcome John. Don't let us down.

I do feel sorry for Baker as well.  However, he is injury prone and has never completed a substantial run of games so between the pair of them we have a solid partner for Chester.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal