collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 03:18:52 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by LeeB
[Today at 03:16:06 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Dave
[Today at 03:07:56 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by LeeB
[Today at 03:00:41 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Risso
[Today at 02:58:06 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Monty
[Today at 02:54:11 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by LeeB
[Today at 02:51:15 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Astnor
[Today at 02:46:26 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John Terry - Gone  (Read 549725 times)

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
Re: John Terry - contract offer
« Reply #795 on: June 30, 2017, 12:21:45 PM »

On topic, I'm resigned to this happening now but I'm very worried that it will backfire because I honestly don't think he'll be able to play enough games to be worth the cost.

That said, on the positive side at least it's a good bit of dick swinging.  We're the biggest club in this league by a long way and that should involve us convincing players who are too good for this division to give us a season and help us get out of it, that's why I didn't like the strategy of signing decent players from this level.  Someone like Chester who had played a fair few games in the premier league the year before and shown he belonged there was a great signing and, unsurprisingly he was one of the genuinely successful signings last year.  Taylor (despite my reservations) started to look like another as did Jedinak.  Of the signings from the championship only Kodjia looked anything like what we expected.  Signing players who are too good for where we are is the best way to stop being here and whilst I don't know if Terry is that he sends a signal that we can attract players who are perceived to be better than where we are.
As you say, looks like it's happening.
I think the critical issue with JT is not so much his fitness - it's clear that we won't get 50 games out of him - but his attitude. If he is coming to Villa to serve an apprenticeship into coaching and management and he takes that seriously, we may find that he will knock some current egos into shape and we'll see a more purposeful and focussed squad. If - au contraire - he is simply here for the money and as a career wind-down, it'll be a nightmare.
Will we get the serious and focussed pro or King John with the gargantuan ego and golden boots?

The encouraging thing for me is that there would have been far easier options than us if he was just taking the money and winding down.

That's true, it suggests he probably still has the desire to achieve something.

Online Zouch Villa

• GM : 12.02.2024
« Reply #796 on: June 30, 2017, 12:23:23 PM »
Djemba Djemba tested my patience. 
Both of them?

Online London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #797 on: June 30, 2017, 12:43:46 PM »
I've never hated a Villa player before. 😔

I hate of a lot of the clowns that got us relegated...

I do wonder if AVBJT will reference some the reactions he received at Villa Park - or by past experience he probably didn't even notice.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #798 on: June 30, 2017, 12:50:32 PM »
He'll get my support.

And if (I appreciate it's a pretty big if) he starts putting in heart on the sleeve dominant performances for us, I think the rest of you will come round to it pretty quickly too.  If he inspires us to promotion, people will be singing his praises.

It could certainly end up as another Lescott / Richards type move, but for now I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and hope it turns out to be inspired.

Offline montague

• GM : 13.12.2015
« Reply #799 on: June 30, 2017, 01:18:47 PM »
He'll get my support.

And if (I appreciate it's a pretty big if) he starts putting in heart on the sleeve dominant performances for us, I think the rest of you will come round to it pretty quickly too.  If he inspires us to promotion, people will be singing his praises.

It could certainly end up as another Lescott / Richards type move, but for now I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and hope it turns out to be inspired.

Terry is a vastly superior player to Lescott and Richards with a vastly superior mentality and attitude.

Offline frank black

« Reply #800 on: June 30, 2017, 01:22:13 PM »
He'll get my support.

Terry is a vastly superior player to Lescott and Richards with a vastly superior mentality and attitude.

His mentality and attitude maybe great, but if the legs say no the legs say no. It's going to be down to this to decide whether it's a good move or not.. we shall see

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #801 on: June 30, 2017, 01:24:48 PM »
I can't remember anyone questioning Lescott's attitude before he signed for us.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #802 on: June 30, 2017, 01:27:59 PM »
He'll get my support.

He is, that's why my comparison on this thread has always been Pires who had an excellent career and a brilliant attitude but was just too old when he joined.  Shay Given is another decent example as well.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #803 on: June 30, 2017, 02:21:47 PM »
He'll get my support.

He is, that's why my comparison on this thread has always been Pires who had an excellent career and a brilliant attitude but was just too old when he joined.  Shay Given is another decent example as well.
These examples are pointless though.  How old was Sheringham when he scored 20 goals for West Ham?  Or McAllister when he went to Liverpool?

We have absolutely no idea how JT will perform.  But is is certainly possible he will be a great asset.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #804 on: June 30, 2017, 02:45:27 PM »
I don't think anyone is arguing that he "could" be an asset. He could be, or he could be useless. That's far from certain.

What is certain is that he's on tape racially abusing someone and will make young black children think twice before deciding to become Villa fans.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #805 on: June 30, 2017, 02:46:00 PM »
He'll get my support.

These examples are pointless though.  How old was Sheringham when he scored 20 goals for West Ham?  Or McAllister when he went to Liverpool?

We have absolutely no idea how JT will perform.  But is is certainly possible he will be a great asset.

Isn't it equally as certainly possible he'll be the equivalent of setting fire to £5m in the Holte End car park whilst simultaneously pissing off the rest of the squad and alienating a big chunk of the fan base?

Offline AV5nobs

« Reply #806 on: June 30, 2017, 02:54:10 PM »
My next door neighbours are black and there 12 year old son is very excited at the thought of JT wearing our claret and blue, and he's aware of the whole racist remarks.

Offline TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #807 on: June 30, 2017, 02:57:54 PM »
He'll get my support.

Isn't it equally as certainly possible he'll be the equivalent of setting fire to £5m in the Holte End car park whilst simultaneously pissing off the rest of the squad and alienating a big chunk of the fan base?

It sure is.

I think everyone agrees that he's a cock. But also that he's been a great player.
I think it's a good gamble.

I can't trivialise what he's done in the past but I can also see Peter W's point, earlier in the thread.
He's certainly not had a problem since that incident.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #808 on: June 30, 2017, 03:01:55 PM »
He'll get my support.

They really aren't pointless, they're examples of older players moving to a new club.  Sheringham is actually a perfect example of how it could work out well and I do accept that it could happen. Mcallister on the other hand is exactly what I'm worried about.  He was 35 when he signed for Liverpool and his first season was superb but the next season was a year too far and he looked spent by about February.  He managed to eek out another 18 months at coventry after that but mainly because he was the player manager and kept picking himself.

That's the concern as I've said a few times, at that age things go south pretty quickly and Terry could be fine now and fucked by Christmas.

Online DB

• GM : 11.01.2021
« Reply #809 on: June 30, 2017, 03:02:42 PM »
My next door neighbours are black and there 12 year old son is very excited at the thought of JT wearing our claret and blue, and he's aware of the whole racist remarks.

What's your point?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal