collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John Terry - Gone  (Read 550025 times)

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
Re: John Terry - contract offer
« Reply #585 on: June 26, 2017, 11:45:08 PM »
It's difficult to criticise Round & the scouting network he has overseen because the January signings the jury is still out on (Johnstone was a good pick, Taylor improved team, Hogan was crocked & rushed back, Lansbury was ok nothing more, Bree was for future, Bedeau is very much for u23's & Hourihane has thus far looked overawed).  The big transfer issue of the last year is that last summer we needed goal scorers and rather than look for a combination we spent 20m+ on 2 strikers based on the top scorer charts alone.  We really should not have needed to buy Hogan & id like to think with a proper network we wouldn't make that mistake again.

When we signed Hogan I was convinced the summer plan was to get max £'s for Kodjia & try and shift McCormack for whatever we can get then get in a target man for Hogan to play off - still wouldn't shock me if it happened.

From the (limited) amount of times I saw him at Brentford, what Hogan needs isn't a target man, but a midfield behind him who will pass the ball to him in the opposition's half (from the opposition's half).

He likes through balls being threaded past the last defender doesn't he?

Yes. I think we all would.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #586 on: June 26, 2017, 11:57:51 PM »
It's difficult to criticise Round & the scouting network he has overseen because the January signings the jury is still out on (Johnstone was a good pick, Taylor improved team, Hogan was crocked & rushed back, Lansbury was ok nothing more, Bree was for future, Bedeau is very much for u23's & Hourihane has thus far looked overawed).  The big transfer issue of the last year is that last summer we needed goal scorers and rather than look for a combination we spent 20m+ on 2 strikers based on the top scorer charts alone.  We really should not have needed to buy Hogan & id like to think with a proper network we wouldn't make that mistake again.

When we signed Hogan I was convinced the summer plan was to get max £'s for Kodjia & try and shift McCormack for whatever we can get then get in a target man for Hogan to play off - still wouldn't shock me if it happened.

From the (limited) amount of times I saw him at Brentford, what Hogan needs isn't a target man, but a midfield behind him who will pass the ball to him in the opposition's half (from the opposition's half).

Agree.  From what I have seen of him for us so far, he is very much the type of forward who plays on the shoulder of defenders and needs balls slipped through.  Probably would be ideal with a 'number 10' type player, playing just in behind him. 

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #587 on: June 27, 2017, 12:03:56 AM »
If McCormack could get his act together I wonder if he and Hogan could be a good combination. If not, maybe Grealish? About time he stopped being a pretender and lived up to his potential.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #588 on: June 27, 2017, 12:35:02 AM »
If McCormack could get his act together I wonder if he and Hogan could be a good combination. If not, maybe Grealish? About time he stopped being a pretender and lived up to his potential.

Well, yes there's two options and Lansbury can also play that role as can Gil but it looks like he is on his way.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #589 on: June 27, 2017, 12:42:32 AM »
Round only came in 1st September and I don't think anybody can criticise the January purchases with a straight face.
The January signings were good and players signed were performing very well in the division and have real potential  however the way those players were used by Bruce is totally mystifying.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #590 on: June 27, 2017, 12:45:58 AM »
Trying to put a club back together that was in a mess and a team that was shockingly awful on the pitch. It was never going to turn round overnight.

I'm stunned at the lack of patience and at how much misery some people wallow in.

Surely the second line in your post is explained by the first?

It's awful, yes, and has been for years. I honestly am not even remotely surprised at the lack of patience people are showing. We've been utterly awful for six or seven years now.

I don't really see how anyone can be accused of impatience.

Don't get me wrong, I am not burning Bruce effigies or looking for a new manager or anything like that, I am just amazed anyone really blames anyone else for being short of patience.

We've just spent a fortune and finished in the bottom half of the Championship. When does it become OK to complain?

For me it isn't impatience, I'd happily wait for things to tick if i saw a plan to fix the underlying issues rather than paper over them.

Clampy says it was never going to turn around over night and i agree but it's also never going to turn around properly if we don't try and Bruce, Terry, Whelan, etc aren't a change of plan from Cole, Richardson, Lescott, McLeish, Lambert, etc.

Offline passitsideways

« Reply #591 on: June 27, 2017, 12:52:09 AM »
Round only came in 1st September and I don't think anybody can criticise the January purchases with a straight face.
The January signings were good and players signed were performing very well in the division and have real potential  however the way those players were used by Bruce is totally mystifying.

Yeah, I liked all of them, outside of being circumspect about Taylor (who's proven me wrong thus far), and Hogan (only on the grounds of money, as opposed to ability).

I think we have enough evidence now, going back years, to say that it's more to do with the club being unable to get the most out of the players it buys, on the whole, with only rare exceptions.

Offline Mossie Hennebry

« Reply #592 on: June 27, 2017, 01:41:09 AM »
I like the way this thread has now morphed into a summer transfer thread. Merge, anyone? It should lighten the mood.

Online Clampy

« Reply #593 on: June 27, 2017, 07:05:37 AM »
Trying to put a club back together that was in a mess and a team that was shockingly awful on the pitch. It was never going to turn round overnight.

I'm stunned at the lack of patience and at how much misery some people wallow in.

Surely the second line in your post is explained by the first?

It's awful, yes, and has been for years. I honestly am not even remotely surprised at the lack of patience people are showing. We've been utterly awful for six or seven years now.

I don't really see how anyone can be accused of impatience.

Don't get me wrong, I am not burning Bruce effigies or looking for a new manager or anything like that, I am just amazed anyone really blames anyone else for being short of patience.

We've just spent a fortune and finished in the bottom half of the Championship. When does it become OK to complain?

I mean impatience when it comes to people starting to point the finger at the likes of Round and Wyness. They've only been here five minutes, they can hardly be blamed for the last 6 or 7 years but that's what they're trying to correct.  In some ways we've had to start from scratch.

I was hoping we'd get out of the division first time and I sure wasn't expecting us to finish as low as we did, but let's see what this season brings.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #594 on: June 27, 2017, 08:05:51 AM »
We can view impatience by our own view at the time we sacked RDM.  Were you for sacking or willing to give him more time.

Back to the Terry issue. I think it is an expensive gamble both money-wise and how it's dividing opinion. It's a very controversial gamble and one I do not think the Club had to make. It's not as if we are near the top of the PL and he was the final piece of the jigsaw.  If he fails, I would expect the manager to take responsibility for it.

Offline DB

• GM : 11.01.2021
« Reply #595 on: June 27, 2017, 09:40:21 AM »
Therefore, if he succeeds then the manager should take the credit?

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #596 on: June 27, 2017, 10:26:21 AM »
Yes of course and the player. How is this realistically going to pan out though? Plus he's a ******, Terry, not Bruce. Car crash written all over it in my book - and I'm usually an optimist when it comes to Villa matters.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #597 on: June 27, 2017, 10:35:35 AM »
Look at the poll. Half don't want him and about 20% don't care. Only about 30% of supporters on here wanted us to actually sign Terry.

He'll get a chance, just like everyone else that signs for us, but I reckon come November he'll have either played about 3 games for us, or will be getting pelters.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #598 on: June 27, 2017, 10:56:09 AM »
That's a poll on this particular site. 

I'm sure there was mention of a Meaning Evil poll that was overwhelmingly in favour of his signature. It could be just B-lose and Olbiyun fans acting the giddy goat, though.  Younger fans seem to be in favour too, from anecdotal evidence.  Whatever that's worth.

Offline boozey182

« Reply #599 on: June 27, 2017, 10:57:21 AM »
Look at the poll. Half don't want him and about 20% don't care. Only about 30% of supporters on here wanted us to actually sign Terry.

He'll get a chance, just like everyone else that signs for us, but I reckon come November he'll have either played about 3 games for us, or will be getting pelters.

As others have said, it's such an unnecessary risk for Bruce to take. I don't think promotion will come down to whether or not we get Terry (and if Bruce does think this, I wonder who he's got lined up in case this falls through). So to bring in such a divisive character, who the fans have a long history with (although I'm sure we're not the only club that can boast that), who isn't guaranteed to play half the matches and who will be on one of the highest wages in an already worryingly big wage bill. And if it goes wrong, he'll be crucified for it. The people that are okay with holding their noses and getting behind Terry will just be looking for a excuse to let him have it. Bruce won't last until October unless we get off to an amazing start. (Which, to be fair, is possible in this league, with or without Terry).

Is he panicking? Is this his equivalent of RDM's 6 up front against Preston?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal