collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by rob_bridge
[Today at 02:01:05 PM]

Re: FFP by Risso
[Today at 02:00:06 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 01:59:07 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by WassallVillain
[Today at 01:54:03 PM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Toronto Villa
[Today at 01:50:22 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Risso
[Today at 01:43:13 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 01:30:57 PM]

Re: Aston Villa Leisure Centre by Pete3206
[Today at 01:30:43 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John Terry - Gone  (Read 549711 times)

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
Re: John Terry - contract offer
« Reply #570 on: June 26, 2017, 06:53:35 PM »
You don't think Round is a forward thinking appointment?

He talked a good game in that comms to fans last year. Not sure if much of it has borne fruit though.

It's one of those appointments that is impossible to judge until we see obvious success or obvious failure.

It was accepted pretty much universally at the time of his appointment that Tom Fox was exactly who we needed and not a moment too soon. He also seemed to say the right things based on the reports that came back. We'll probably know in about two seasons whether Round is a good appointment or not.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #571 on: June 26, 2017, 08:21:00 PM »
Even if he proved not to be the right man, the creation of a role that looks to develop a scouting network and looks to set-up a blueprint of all the various age groups makes a lot of sense. The appointment was also made by a Chairman that has a lot of experience in football as opposed to Fox's appointment. We can only know with time but on the face of it there seems to be more going for this one than there has previously.

Offline itbrvilla

• GM : 16.02.2022
« Reply #572 on: June 26, 2017, 08:28:31 PM »

He talked a good game in that comms to fans last year. Not sure if much of it has borne fruit though.
I agree. Neither are performing. Blown a fortune on shite. No systems in place anywhere no team no scouting network. What else have they done?

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #573 on: June 26, 2017, 08:46:10 PM »

I agree. Neither are performing. Blown a fortune on shite. No systems in place anywhere no team no scouting network. What else have they done?

How do you know there is no scouting network?

Online Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #574 on: June 26, 2017, 09:36:09 PM »
Bring back Doug, top four finishes, league cup triumphs, European tours, full houses.

Rubbish. Ellis hasn't managed a 50 page thread on here for years. John Terry is going to smash through that in a couple of days at his first attempt.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #575 on: June 26, 2017, 10:07:29 PM »

Round has blown a fortune?

Offline itbrvilla

• GM : 16.02.2022
« Reply #576 on: June 26, 2017, 10:51:48 PM »

If there is then fucking dreadful. Spent a fortune on utter crap that doesn't fit into the team. £80 odd million spent, bottom half, gambling the club's future. What has Wyness done?

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #577 on: June 26, 2017, 10:58:11 PM »
Round only came in 1st September and I don't think anybody can criticise the January purchases with a straight face.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #578 on: June 26, 2017, 11:24:19 PM »

If there is then fucking dreadful. Spent a fortune on utter crap that doesn't fit into the team. £80 odd million spent, bottom half, gambling the club's future. What has Wyness done?

Trying to put a club back together that was in a mess and a team that was shockingly awful on the pitch. It was never going to turn round overnight.

I'm stunned at the lack of patience and at how much misery some people wallow in.

Offline Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #579 on: June 26, 2017, 11:31:44 PM »
It's difficult to criticise Round & the scouting network he has overseen because the January signings the jury is still out on (Johnstone was a good pick, Taylor improved team, Hogan was crocked & rushed back, Lansbury was ok nothing more, Bree was for future, Bedeau is very much for u23's & Hourihane has thus far looked overawed).  The big transfer issue of the last year is that last summer we needed goal scorers and rather than look for a combination we spent 20m+ on 2 strikers based on the top scorer charts alone.  We really should not have needed to buy Hogan & id like to think with a proper network we wouldn't make that mistake again.

When we signed Hogan I was convinced the summer plan was to get max £'s for Kodjia & try and shift McCormack for whatever we can get then get in a target man for Hogan to play off - still wouldn't shock me if it happened.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #580 on: June 26, 2017, 11:33:08 PM »
Trying to put a club back together that was in a mess and a team that was shockingly awful on the pitch. It was never going to turn round overnight.

I'm stunned at the lack of patience and at how much misery some people wallow in.

Surely the second line in your post is explained by the first?

It's awful, yes, and has been for years. I honestly am not even remotely surprised at the lack of patience people are showing. We've been utterly awful for six or seven years now.

I don't really see how anyone can be accused of impatience.

Don't get me wrong, I am not burning Bruce effigies or looking for a new manager or anything like that, I am just amazed anyone really blames anyone else for being short of patience.

We've just spent a fortune and finished in the bottom half of the Championship. When does it become OK to complain?

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #581 on: June 26, 2017, 11:35:38 PM »
It's difficult to criticise Round & the scouting network he has overseen because the January signings the jury is still out on (Johnstone was a good pick, Taylor improved team, Hogan was crocked & rushed back, Lansbury was ok nothing more, Bree was for future, Bedeau is very much for u23's & Hourihane has thus far looked overawed).  The big transfer issue of the last year is that last summer we needed goal scorers and rather than look for a combination we spent 20m+ on 2 strikers based on the top scorer charts alone.  We really should not have needed to buy Hogan & id like to think with a proper network we wouldn't make that mistake again.

When we signed Hogan I was convinced the summer plan was to get max £'s for Kodjia & try and shift McCormack for whatever we can get then get in a target man for Hogan to play off - still wouldn't shock me if it happened.

From the (limited) amount of times I saw him at Brentford, what Hogan needs isn't a target man, but a midfield behind him who will pass the ball to him in the opposition's half (from the opposition's half).

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #582 on: June 26, 2017, 11:37:41 PM »
I presume Round will be heavily tasked with appointing a new manager as and when.

Could probably judge his competency from that...highly rated european coach....or the man he was assistant to at Everton and Man. United....David Moyes. He's also worked with McClaren a lot.

Sorry for giving you guys nightmares tonight!

Offline OCD

« Reply #583 on: June 26, 2017, 11:44:04 PM »

From the (limited) amount of times I saw him at Brentford, what Hogan needs isn't a target man, but a midfield behind him who will pass the ball to him in the opposition's half (from the opposition's half).

He likes through balls being threaded past the last defender doesn't he?

Offline OCD

« Reply #584 on: June 26, 2017, 11:44:43 PM »
I presume Round will be heavily tasked with appointing a new manager as and when.

Could probably judge his competency from that...highly rated european coach....or the man he was assistant to at Everton and Man. United....David Moyes. He's also worked with McClaren a lot.

Sorry for giving you guys nightmares tonight!

He's already done that by recommending Bruce.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal