collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:14:26 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 09:07:08 AM]

Re: FFP by Nev
[Today at 09:05:47 AM]

Re: FFP by Chris Smith
[Today at 08:58:35 AM]

Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by chrisw1
[Today at 08:51:41 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by itbrvilla
[Today at 08:50:29 AM]

Re: FFP by chrisw1
[Today at 08:48:04 AM]

Re: FFP by cdward
[Today at 08:44:03 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John Terry - Gone  (Read 549648 times)

Offline tomd2103

Re: John Terry - contract offer
« Reply #375 on: June 23, 2017, 06:06:32 PM »
I wonder if Bruce is looking to play Terry in a three at the back, a system that he will have been heavily involved in last season, even if not playing regularly?

Good point and there are a few indications that might happen, especially the rumoured interest in El Ahmadi, who is a wing back.  Jedinak to drop back as well perhaps and it would give us the chance to play two up front, something that Bruce has said he wants to look at.

I think the elmohamady links are more just that's he's signed him a couple of times before, I don't think there's much more to it.

I agree that he is probably looking at it though, which I think is a huge mistake.

Hopefully Paul.  I honestly couldn't see the sense in signing another RB, especially if money is as tight as we are being led to believe.

Online London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #376 on: June 23, 2017, 06:31:18 PM »
Throw jedinak into that mix and it makes less sense. Id rather spend that money on barry or carrick.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #377 on: June 23, 2017, 07:21:20 PM »
I hate three at the back. Our defence was, mostly, fine, last year.

Why would we want to take a potential playmaker out of our woeful midfield to make room for an extra player in a position of strength?

Oh I agree, but that are one or two pointers suggesting that is the way he might be thinking. 

I'm with you though, a back four of De Laet, Chester, AN Other and Taylor is more than good enough for the division.

Replace AN Other with Baker and it's more than good enough. We need cover, sure. Spending 60k a week plus bonuses and signing fee on a position where our first team are fine is lunacy.

I still think we need better than Baker (particularly better on the ball) for the first choice partner for Chester.  I agree with Paul's point above that we could do with a CB who is going to be able to make the step up to the top flight if we do make it.  I agree that there are enough options out there to not be spending that on a huge gamble like John Terry.

Baker is more than adequate... we had the third or fourth best defence last year. By all means upgrade if we go up, but we'd be a Premier League club with better options, then.

Bring in some cover, preferably a young talent for the future.

Sign somebody with actual PACE in midfield. Has to be number one priority.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #378 on: June 23, 2017, 07:39:47 PM »

Not going to quote the whole thing but I think the pace problems at the club won't be solved by doing that because the issue is more fundamental.  We play at such a slow tempo and don't look for runners so we look really slow but with some coaching that could be resolved without a huge number of changes.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #379 on: June 23, 2017, 07:44:03 PM »
Baker distributing for the back doesn't help.

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #380 on: June 23, 2017, 07:50:50 PM »
Baker distributing for the back doesn't help.

Distribution is one area I could see Terry actually adding value. It was always his biggest strength as a player imho.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #381 on: June 24, 2017, 12:25:31 AM »
I hate three at the back. Our defence was, mostly, fine, last year.

Why would we want to take a potential playmaker out of our woeful midfield to make room for an extra player in a position of strength?

Oh I agree, but that are one or two pointers suggesting that is the way he might be thinking. 

I'm with you though, a back four of De Laet, Chester, AN Other and Taylor is more than good enough for the division.

Replace AN Other with Baker and it's more than good enough. We need cover, sure. Spending 60k a week plus bonuses and signing fee on a position where our first team are fine is lunacy.

I still think we need better than Baker (particularly better on the ball) for the first choice partner for Chester.  I agree with Paul's point above that we could do with a CB who is going to be able to make the step up to the top flight if we do make it.  I agree that there are enough options out there to not be spending that on a huge gamble like John Terry.

Baker is more than adequate... we had the third or fourth best defence last year. By all means upgrade if we go up, but we'd be a Premier League club with better options, then.

Bring in some cover, preferably a young talent for the future.

My main issue with Baker is that we are never going to be able to play anything resembling decent football from the back with him playing.  When you add Jedinak just in front of him, it's even less likely.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #382 on: June 24, 2017, 07:51:44 AM »
I could see a back 3 of Chester Terry and DeLeat working quite well.  The latter would give the pace, Terry can actually pass and Chester... well he's just good.  Bree and Taylor wide either side and you can get Grealish into a midfield with license to roam. I would actually play Hourihane deeper with Jedinak as I think he can dictate play deeper.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #383 on: June 24, 2017, 09:36:14 AM »
I could see a back 3 of Chester Terry and DeLeat working quite well.  The latter would give the pace, Terry can actually pass and Chester... well he's just good.  Bree and Taylor wide either side and you can get Grealish into a midfield with license to roam. I would actually play Hourihane deeper with Jedinak as I think he can dictate play deeper.
But you could make a back three from several exisitng players - Baker, Chester, Delaet, Bedeau, Toner, Hutton, Jedinak; admittedly, not all would be my choice, but you could defintely make a fist of it.
The priority for me is back-up leftback / wingback and getting rid of the dead wood (Bacuna, Flabby, Richards, et al): this would force Bruce to pck some of th eyounger members of the squad.

Online dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #384 on: June 24, 2017, 11:54:15 AM »
I was missing all yesterday evening but before I left I saw on here that Terry had signed for Spurs.  Is that true or is it a spoof?  I had a quick squint at one of the Irish papers this morning and there was no mention.  I hope yesterday's sense of relief wasn't a little previous.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #385 on: June 24, 2017, 11:57:44 AM »
Fuck it, can't hurt...

Hi Lee,

I thank you in advance for taking the time to read this, and hope that it can reach someone who may have a say on whether or not we decide to proceed with the planned acquisition of John Terry.

I have never seen fit to contact anyone at the club regarding a rumoured signing before, even if I have my misgivings. I'm always of the opinion that you should give anyone a chance and give them full support once they become Aston Villa players.

I have been a season ticket holder for thirty years, in good, average and abysmal seasons, in the top flight and, now, in the second tier. I'd support them in the Midland Combination Fifth Division, too. While I might moan about performances, I would never turn my back on the club no matter how many times we lost.

Part of that loyalty is based on the fact that, no matter how bad things have got, we have always done things with a touch of class and dignity, in keeping with the glorious history of the club.

Which brings me to John Terry. You could hardly imagine a player, or even a human being, that less embodies the ethos of "class and dignity". His list of misdemeanors is lengthy, and I won't bore you with repeating what I'm sure you are well aware of. What concerns me most of all, though, is his racism.

If either you or I called somebody a "fucking black ******" while at work, I'm sure we would lose our jobs. It is completely unacceptable in any walk of life.

When I first started attending Villa matches thirty years ago, it was rare to see a non-white face in the crowd. I take pride in how this has changed over the years. We are a club from an ethnically-mixed district of one of the most diverse cities on Earth, and I believe that is cause for celebration.

Signing John Terry is sticking two fingers up to ethnic minorities among our squad, our staff and, most significantly, our supporters.

The approach has already split the fans, and would cause me to lose a bit of the pride I take in our club. It may also cause me to consider my position as a season ticket holder, something which I have taken for granted for decades, regardless of results.

I thank you for taking the time to read this.

Kind regards,

Cdbullyweefan.

Offline AV5nobs

« Reply #386 on: June 24, 2017, 12:41:31 PM »
Seem to recall loads of letters sent to the club objecting to Big Eck becoming manager....how did that one turn out.

Waste of time.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #387 on: June 24, 2017, 12:42:50 PM »
Probably right, I found it cathartic.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #388 on: June 24, 2017, 12:51:27 PM »
I am a great believer in writing a letter about something that really concerns you.
If you want to change or influence something, doing nothing or moaning on an internet site is not going to work.
Yes and it is cathartic.

Offline AV5nobs

« Reply #389 on: June 24, 2017, 12:58:17 PM »
As long as people feel better for it then great, but there is zero influence.

The only way fan power will ever change something is to not attend games and that's not going to happen, especially on this issue as it's 50/50 from people I speak to.

I'm more concerned at JT being passed it than stupid comments.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal