collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John Terry - Gone  (Read 549763 times)

Offline KRS

Re: John Terry - contract offer
« Reply #360 on: June 23, 2017, 12:57:41 PM »
Quality! :D

Offline itbrvilla

• GM : 16.02.2022
« Reply #361 on: June 23, 2017, 01:24:54 PM »
^^

Agree with most of that.

It's a concern with regard to Round and the scouting set up, which was meant to get an overhaul.

If you look at our (mostly dismal) business last summer, you could make the argument that the structures weren't yet in place to move outside the immediate comfortzone of players the managers knew (Clarke > Tishbola Di Matteo> Gollini et.c) and there was an element of throwing money at the problem.

12 months on, and after and extensive, exhaustive search of world football the two best players to push us on are... a semi retired John Terry and Glen Whelan. 

We just don't learn.

Well said KG. The idea we have a scouting network is pretty laughable and worrying at the same time. Not sure what Round is getting paid for as we lack any form of footballing identity.
Surely Wyness being the ''football person'' we've apparently been crying out for over the years, is responsible for the management and oversight of all matters at the club.  He strikes me as a chancer and here just for the money.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #362 on: June 23, 2017, 01:30:46 PM »
I wonder if Bruce is looking to play Terry in a three at the back, a system that he will have been heavily involved in last season, even if not playing regularly?

Good point and there are a few indications that might happen, especially the rumoured interest in El Ahmadi, who is a wing back.  Jedinak to drop back as well perhaps and it would give us the chance to play two up front, something that Bruce has said he wants to look at.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #363 on: June 23, 2017, 01:33:01 PM »
I hate three at the back. Our defence was, mostly, fine, last year.

Why would we want to take a potential playmaker out of our woeful midfield to make room for an extra player in a position of strength?

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #364 on: June 23, 2017, 01:41:45 PM »

Why would we want to take a potential playmaker out of our woeful midfield to make room for an extra player in a position of strength?

Oh I agree, but that are one or two pointers suggesting that is the way he might be thinking. 

I'm with you though, a back four of De Laet, Chester, AN Other and Taylor is more than good enough for the division. 

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #365 on: June 23, 2017, 01:44:02 PM »
I wonder if Bruce is looking to play Terry in a three at the back, a system that he will have been heavily involved in last season, even if not playing regularly?

Good point and there are a few indications that might happen, especially the rumoured interest in El Ahmadi, who is a wing back.  Jedinak to drop back as well perhaps and it would give us the chance to play two up front, something that Bruce has said he wants to look at.

I think the elmohamady links are more just that's he's signed him a couple of times before, I don't think there's much more to it.

I agree that he is probably looking at it though, which I think is a huge mistake.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #366 on: June 23, 2017, 01:47:12 PM »

Oh I agree, but that are one or two pointers suggesting that is the way he might be thinking. 

I'm with you though, a back four of De Laet, Chester, AN Other and Taylor is more than good enough for the division.

Replace AN Other with Baker and it's more than good enough. We need cover, sure. Spending 60k a week plus bonuses and signing fee on a position where our first team are fine is lunacy.

Offline boozey182

• GM : PCM
« Reply #367 on: June 23, 2017, 02:19:39 PM »
Could someone list relevant email addresses for those of us not on Twitter?

I have found, from this site in 2014, that Lee Preece is the Supporter Liaison Officer and his e mail address is lee.preece@avfc.co.uk. I'm not sure if he's in the job still, but that could be a good place to start. The more emails that get sent, the more chance the club will listen to what they say. Hopefully...

Ta. Will send an email in the morning.
I've had a reply from Lee, who assures me the sentiment will be forwarded on accordingly. He seems like a good guy.

It took two minutes to send him an email, so if anyone else is concerned that John Terry might sign for us, send an email. It feels so much better to have done something, even if it may be futile.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #368 on: June 23, 2017, 02:25:17 PM »
The problem with the defence is when you try to pop in all the options for each position:

RB:
De Laet
Bree
Hutton

CB:
Chester
Baker
Elphick*
Richards*

LB:
Taylor
Amavi*

Replacing the 3 Bold/starred players with people we want, who want to stay and who are decent is the important thing to happen here.  We might be able to bring through a kid or 2 but we definitely need to add some depth there.  I'm not sure that Terry is the right type of player for this though.  I think someone to compete with Baker who could be an option in the premier league if we get promoted should be the choice and then the 4th can be someone like Bedeau.  With Jedinak and De Laet as emergency cover that's ok.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #369 on: June 23, 2017, 02:42:04 PM »
Bruce has no idea as he is not a conviction coach. He is going to carry on with trial and error till it's ok or he is sacked.

Offline passitsideways

« Reply #370 on: June 23, 2017, 02:57:36 PM »
The other thing is, it might give a chance playing 3 at the back properly once more - we struggled to build play with that formation because we didn't have centre halves who could pass the ball, but Terry's honestly one of the better ball-playing defenders England's ever had, and you'd think at least that bit of his game won't have diminished from age.

Still would rather not have him, mind.

Offline TheTimVilla

• GM : 13.02.2022
« Reply #371 on: June 23, 2017, 03:15:03 PM »

I'm thinking more in terms of the fact that we need to score almost double the number of goals we scored last season (47). A 3-4-3 along the lines of:

Goalie, de Laet, 3CHs, Bree; Lansbury, Hourihane; Kodjia, Hogan, AN Other

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #372 on: June 23, 2017, 03:15:34 PM »
That looks horrific.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #373 on: June 23, 2017, 04:15:25 PM »
particularly as we seem to be playing without a left back.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #374 on: June 23, 2017, 06:05:18 PM »

Replace AN Other with Baker and it's more than good enough. We need cover, sure. Spending 60k a week plus bonuses and signing fee on a position where our first team are fine is lunacy.

I still think we need better than Baker (particularly better on the ball) for the first choice partner for Chester.  I agree with Paul's point above that we could do with a CB who is going to be able to make the step up to the top flight if we do make it.  I agree that there are enough options out there to not be spending that on a huge gamble like John Terry. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal