collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John Terry - Gone  (Read 549767 times)

Offline peter w

Re: John Terry - contract offer
« Reply #315 on: June 23, 2017, 06:54:12 AM »
"People can say racist comments but it doesn't necessary mean you're racist?"

What the holy fuck does that mean????

Do you just mean that casual racism is acceptable?
Or racist banter?

No, I think it means that people use throwaway comments and use incendiary terms almost like a conjunctive; that is to inflame the insuly. You bastard become You black bastard, You fat bastard, You fucking bastard, You bald bastard, You stupid bastard etc etc etc the you and the bastard are often the only two important words and the middle one (kind of conjunctive for this purpose) is used merely as an emphasis.

Its stupid and thoughtless, and crass, but doesn't necessarily mean its racist.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #316 on: June 23, 2017, 07:22:05 AM »
I've made my feelings plain on him, but it's a bit harsh blaming him for #8.

And #4. Footballers can't bet on horse racing, since when?

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #317 on: June 23, 2017, 07:39:44 AM »
I've made my feelings plain on him, but it's a bit harsh blaming him for #8.

And #4. Footballers can't bet on horse racing, since when?

I seem to remember it being said that it was a Chelsea club rule at the time.

Offline Nunkin1965

• This is only a problem.
« Reply #318 on: June 23, 2017, 07:56:44 AM »
Great example to human kind or not, John Terry is a multiple winner on the football pitch and if we're on some sort of moral crusade by rejecting somebody like him then you'd better get used to Barnsley away on a Tuesday night. And it will probably be raining.

Online Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #319 on: June 23, 2017, 08:07:34 AM »
As a little bit of balance to the argument that he is a total scumbag let's not forget that when Petrov was diagnosed he was one of the first to donate to the fund & if I remember correctly was one of the first to offer to play in his foundation game.

Not defending him but a bit of perspective at the end of the day he is a footballer who may or may not play for the team we all follow....he's not babysitting our kids or shooting our pets.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #320 on: June 23, 2017, 08:08:01 AM »
Great example to human kind or not, John Terry is a multiple winner on the football pitch and if we're on some sort of moral crusade by rejecting somebody like him then you'd better get used to Barnsley away on a Tuesday night. And it will probably be raining.

Peter Schmeichel, Micah Richards and Joleon Lescott were all "winners" before we signed them. If we signed a thirty-year-old John Terry, he would almost certainly still be  a winner, but he's 37 and far from guaranteed to be so.

As for the second part of your post... that literally makes no sense. We won't get promoted unless we sign a racist? Is this something new rule? Who's Brighton's racist? Who's Bournemouth's racist?

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #321 on: June 23, 2017, 08:10:39 AM »
In addition to the objections raised by most posters, I am concerned about  SB's strategy in offering the contract.

A lot of us think the current squad is more than capable of getting us promoted, but  Bruce started playing the card that the players bought in could not cope with the pressure. To me, that is an admission that he is unable to assemble a coaching team or the tactics necessary to do this.

It does not look good, in my view.

We need additional centre half cover so in that sense the squad is not good enough. One of Chester or Baker gets injured or suspended then we are in trouble. If a Terry like player was available but without the baggage then I doubt it would receive half the scrutiny this is. I can understand why people don't want him based on his character but from a purely footballing sense it makes a lot of sense.

I'm struggling to see how "from a purely footballing sense" it makes a lot of sense for a second tier club to employ a 37 year old on £60k a week... as cover?

He won't be cover, so I'm not sure what point you're making. He'll be breaking up the only position in which we looked vaguely competent last season and leaving us lacking funds to address the parts of the team that really need addressing.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #322 on: June 23, 2017, 08:13:12 AM »
In addition to the objections raised by most posters, I am concerned about  SB's strategy in offering the contract.

A lot of us think the current squad is more than capable of getting us promoted, but  Bruce started playing the card that the players bought in could not cope with the pressure. To me, that is an admission that he is unable to assemble a coaching team or the tactics necessary to do this.

Agree 100%, we look to be again throwing money at the problem that time on the training field with a competent coaching team should fix.

John Terry as a footballer was superb, the best central defender I can recall in about 25 years but he hardly played last season so we will be defending very deep with him in the team, if his legs haven't completely packed it in.

A lot has been written about Terry as a person, a man of little morals and an unquenching desire to line his own pocket. Yet some of our biggest stars were far from angels off the pitch, performances on it are all that count.

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #323 on: June 23, 2017, 08:19:43 AM »
Whilst we pursue this transfer sha apparently lead the way to sign Marc Roberts an eminently more sensible option from Barnsley.  I do hope this isn't our owner simply trying to outdo them on this transfer.

Offline boozey182

• GM : PCM
« Reply #324 on: June 23, 2017, 08:29:18 AM »

Peter Schmeichel, Micah Richards and Joleon Lescott were all "winners" before we signed them. If we signed a thirty-year-old John Terry, he would almost certainly still be  a winner, but he's 37 and far from guaranteed to be so.

As for the second part of your post... that literally makes no sense. We won't get promoted unless we sign a racist? Is this something new rule? Who's Brighton's racist? Who's Bournemouth's racist?

See I don't think we're too far away from agreeing here. I think (and apologies for putting words in people's mouths) that we all agree that there are too many dickheads playing football. Some people think that there are so many, how could you possibly build a successful team without at least one in your team - I can certainly sympathise with such an outlook. And then there are some of us who see that we have to take a stand against the dickheads and not just sit back and watch the posterboy for dickhead footballers join our club.

I'm convincing myself that after years of just standing by and watching, us fans can start to make a difference and not just accept someone who has been banned for racially abusing a fellow professional at our club. We couldn't have asked for a better opportunity to start; the most high profile dick in the game (apart from Suarez perhaps).

Aston Villa fans vs John Terry. It's the ultimate battle of good vs evil. Let's show the club what we think of him.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #325 on: June 23, 2017, 08:40:06 AM »

We need additional centre half cover so in that sense the squad is not good enough. One of Chester or Baker gets injured or suspended then we are in trouble. If a Terry like player was available but without the baggage then I doubt it would receive half the scrutiny this is. I can understand why people don't want him based on his character but from a purely footballing sense it makes a lot of sense.

I'm struggling to see how "from a purely footballing sense" it makes a lot of sense for a second tier club to employ a 37 year old on £60k a week... as cover?

He won't be cover, so I'm not sure what point you're making. He'll be breaking up the only position in which we looked vaguely competent last season and leaving us lacking funds to address the parts of the team that really need addressing.

We need another centre half, common sense tells us that Baker and Chester cannot play every game, injuries and suspensions will take there toll. So the argument that the squad is good enough does not stand up. If, as part of that deal we get one that is good enough to hold down a starting place then all the better.

It is understandable but I think your judgement of him as a player is clouded by your view of him as a man. He has never had pace but has made up for that with his strength, ability, leadership and positional sense. That is why there are a number of clubs interested in signing him.

On balance I would probably prefer that we didn't sign him but if we do then I am fairly confident that he would be good enough for the Championship.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #326 on: June 23, 2017, 08:40:21 AM »
The argument that is a winner is bunk. Robert Pires was a winner when he joined us as was said about Toy Keane. Pires was a laughing stock on the pitch and a complete waste. I don't expect Terry to be any better. Bruce has completely lost it now. This  Villa football team is not going to be fixed by throwing fat contracts at your mates and hoping for the best.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #327 on: June 23, 2017, 08:46:53 AM »
A number 11 to the charge sheet could be having somebody  related to me evicted from the ground for trying to do his job then having the bouncers set on him for continuing the report in the public road outside.  The thoroughly reprehensible poster boy of a thoroughly reprehensible club.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 08:48:57 AM by brian green »

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #328 on: June 23, 2017, 08:48:56 AM »

We need another centre half, common sense tells us that Baker and Chester cannot play every game, injuries and suspensions will take there toll. So the argument that the squad is good enough does not stand up. If, as part of that deal we get one that is good enough to hold down a starting place then all the better.

It is understandable but I think your judgement of him as a player is clouded by your view of him as a man. He has never had pace but has made up for that with his strength, ability, leadership and positional sense. That is why there are a number of clubs interested in signing him.

On balance I would probably prefer that we didn't sign him but if we do then I am fairly confident that he would be good enough for the Championship.

He might be good enough, he might not. As he's hardly played in the last six months, it's difficult to tell.

Maybe he's better than McGrath, Baresi or Beckenbauer... who all retired or disappeared to the Disney Retirement "Soccer" League at his age.

But you're agreeing that Baker and Chester are okay and that we need to strengthen "the squad'. Buying a player to come straight into the first team at centre-half is not a priority. We can easily get a promising youngster or a solid pro as centre-half cover, save ourselves a fortune in the process and re-invest in areas where we need to strengthen the team, as opposed to just providing cover.

There is no sense in the Terry signing. It's a vanity signing based on reputation rather than the logical needs of the team/squad. Nothing more, nothing less.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 08:57:04 AM by cdbullyweefan »

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #329 on: June 23, 2017, 08:51:51 AM »
I cannot stop shuddering at the prospects of us being called "John Terry's Aston Villa".

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal