collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John Terry - Gone  (Read 549727 times)

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
Re: John Terry - contract offer
« Reply #240 on: June 22, 2017, 04:08:47 PM »
Just had a look and he played 90 minutes 5 times last season in the league, once after September. Plus 90 mins twice in the FAC and once in the LC. That's why I don't buy into him automatically massively improving us, or being the best defender in the division etc, and certainly not now he's another year older. What's it based on, the Terry of x years ago? I'm assuming it isn't based on the Terry of last season?

It seems to be based on exactly the same logic that saw us buy Schmeichel, Richards and Lescott, except that they had been playing more regularly than him prior to signing for us.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #241 on: June 22, 2017, 04:23:13 PM »
Dave Mackey was 33 and had broken his leg twice at Spurs before he captained Brian Clough's Derby to promotion to the top flight.

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #242 on: June 22, 2017, 04:25:58 PM »
Dave Mackey was 33 and had broken his leg twice at Spurs before he captained Brian Clough's Derby to promotion to the top flight.

I think the Brian Clough bit is the most important here.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #243 on: June 22, 2017, 04:29:57 PM »
I think that it being nearly 50 years ago is the most important bit.

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #244 on: June 22, 2017, 04:30:21 PM »
Just had a look and he played 90 minutes 5 times last season in the league, once after September. Plus 90 mins twice in the FAC and once in the LC. That's why I don't buy into him automatically massively improving us, or being the best defender in the division etc, and certainly not now he's another year older. What's it based on, the Terry of x years ago? I'm assuming it isn't based on the Terry of last season?

It seems to be based on exactly the same logic that saw us buy Schmeichel, Richards and Lescott, except that they had been playing more regularly than him prior to signing for us.

But it doesn't if you account for the fact that Bruce was a top defender in his day and like Terry with little pace.  I'm sure he knows Terry better than any of the rest of us and will know what he can still do for another season if he manages to stay injury free. The same sort of knowledge can't be attributed to Richards and the Lescott signings.  The Schmichael one wasn't that bad anyway.

I look at it this way putting all the non football stuff to one side...

To play alongside Chester, would you prefer Baker who is a sort of improving player at this level who has awful distribution, frequently is caught out of position and is injury prone, or Terry, although not at his peak is a much better distributor and overall footballer certainly good enough for this league and brings a wealth of organisation/leadership attributes something we have lacked for years, but, is also injury prone?   

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #245 on: June 22, 2017, 04:34:00 PM »

The difference being Terry had the two best centre backs in the country keeping him out of the team. And now he'd be coming to a level lower against forwards some of whom might do him for pace but very few for nous. I imagine we'd get a few more decisions going our way too, the refs would fawn over him a bit more than ''Mad Tom''. 

I don't like the bloke but if he is fit to play 30+ games next season I think he could make a real difference in galvanizing a bunch of team-mate who often look like they are playing within themselves. Short-term gritted teeth, longer-term satisfaction.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #246 on: June 22, 2017, 04:35:43 PM »

I'm a great believer in the first couple of yards is in your head/ down to your footballing brain. I would never say Paul McGrath was the fastest defender I have ever seen but he was bloody good at snuffing out danger.

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #247 on: June 22, 2017, 04:40:14 PM »
Again, what is him being "certainly good enough" based on? I'm not picking on you specifically Bren, but a number of other posters have said similar and say it as though it's fact. Strikes me it's based on the Terry of a few years ago rather than the Terry we'd be getting.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #248 on: June 22, 2017, 04:41:08 PM »
On the subject of Paul McGrath, he was 'finished' at the age of 29 apparently. I think one or two Villa fans who watched him play home and away for several years after that may disagree with that slightly. Possibly a few Irish people would also disagree.

Offline Russ aka Big Nose

« Reply #249 on: June 22, 2017, 04:43:17 PM »
Being a full kit wanker is the least of his poor qualities and misdemeanours in my view. I might be an old cynic but I don't accept that 'not guilty' means 'didn't do it' in every instance - starting with the assault charge with Jody Morris.

And if there are people who think we should hold our noses and accept the baggage for what he brings to the team ... then I am even more at odds with your opinion (which you are perfectly entitled to).

As a player to improve us and be available regularly, I think he is a very big gamble for a lot of money. We've tried and failed with that approach before.

If rumours are accurate, our competition for Terry is Small Heath or the Tesco Carriers - and that says a lot. Either of them are welcome to add to his pension.

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #250 on: June 22, 2017, 04:43:39 PM »

I'm a great believer in the first couple of yards is in your head/ down to your footballing brain. I would never say Paul McGrath was the fastest defender I have ever seen but he was bloody good at snuffing out danger.

And at 37 McGrath was all but finished considering he retired when he was 37. Dave Mackay also retired at 37.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 04:46:21 PM by PeterWithesShin »

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #251 on: June 22, 2017, 04:48:54 PM »
I already have minimal enthusiasm for this signing (as you might have guessed).

But if it's true that the sugarbag intends to wait for two weeks to see if he gets any offers from top flight clubs we really should nip this one in the bud now.

He's a free agent. Why shouldn't he wait to see all the offers?

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #252 on: June 22, 2017, 04:49:26 PM »
Indeed. 

Nigel Spink was roughly that age when he went to the Olbiyun at the tail end of his career. 

Even the stripeyfilth weren't daft/smalltime enough to herald it as some breakthrough signing, prising a league and European Cup winner off the Villa.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #253 on: June 22, 2017, 04:50:02 PM »
Personally I think it is 'worth a punt' for a year. It is great how the likes of Lambert, Sherwood and Wilkins are so vocal and have so many opinions about our club. Maybe if any of them had had so many great ideas when they were at the club we would still be a top flight club.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #254 on: June 22, 2017, 04:59:26 PM »
I already have minimal enthusiasm for this signing (as you might have guessed).

But if it's true that the sugarbag intends to wait for two weeks to see if he gets any offers from top flight clubs we really should nip this one in the bud now.

He's a free agent. Why shouldn't he wait to see all the offers?

Because it smacks of "suppose I'll kill some time at Villa if nothing better comes along."

Which is a bit different to having loads of offers but seemingly being fired up at the challenging prospect of getting us back to the topflight. 

Other clubs will have known his situation for a while so if he is just using our interest as leverage, I'd hope the powers that be might be cute enough to know that and back out.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 05:02:58 PM by KevinGage »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal