collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa v Chelsea Match Thread by Edvard Remberg
[Today at 09:53:35 PM]

John McGinn - signed (Captain) by Footy-Vill
[Today at 09:51:55 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 09:51:44 PM]

Player Discipline, Bookings and Suspension by Footy-Vill
[Today at 09:28:43 PM]

Robin Olsen by Footy-Vill
[Today at 09:25:36 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: U20 world cup victory  (Read 3428 times)

Offline trevor fisher

U20 world cup victory
« on: June 11, 2017, 01:10:56 PM »
just watched the England U20s win the world cup final, very  good performance and congratulations to all concerned. Just made me realize how far Villa have fallen away to see Cahill play for England seniors last night and know there are no Villa lads anywhere in contention today. WHat has gone wrong?

So many players come on for the end of a match, look good then vanish. Why? We cannot be a cheque book club. We have to bring the lads through. Where are the Cahills, Cowans, Littles and even Barry Bannans of 2017? How come the academy has stopped producing?

Offline Salsa Party Animal

• Location: Trinity Road Lower Stand or Dance-floor or Bedroom.
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Salsapartyanimal
Re: U20 world cup victory
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2017, 06:44:59 PM »
There are few coming through but pressure from relegation and poor management doesn't give them the opportunity to shines.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2017, 06:54:58 PM »
WHat has gone wrong?
When did you return from the Moon?

Online TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2017, 08:23:02 PM »
Congratulations to all involved, but what's the betting that this is the international equivalent to a club - including Villa - winning the Youth Cup?  Perhaps one or two of those playing today might get full England caps in time, but most will do well do become Premier League regulars.  It will be interesting - and probably quite sad from an England perspective - when in twenty years time the picture of them on podium is published under the headline "Where Are Now?"

Offline Damo70

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2017, 08:37:58 PM »
I seem to remember us winning the European under 21's championship (possibly two years running) in the eighties. I think Bailey and Woods were the keepers. I'm not sure too many of them went on to have decent senior International careers.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2017, 10:59:19 PM »
just watched the England U20s win the world cup final, very  good performance and congratulations to all concerned. Just made me realize how far Villa have fallen away to see Cahill play for England seniors last night and know there are no Villa lads anywhere in contention today. WHat has gone wrong?

So many players come on for the end of a match, look good then vanish. Why? We cannot be a cheque book club. We have to bring the lads through. Where are the Cahills, Cowans, Littles and even Barry Bannans of 2017? How come the academy has stopped producing?

What went wrong? Have you just awoken from a 7 year long coma?

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2017, 03:14:26 AM »

What went wrong? Have you just awoken from a 7 year long coma?
Yes, rearrange these letters, Landy Rerner.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2017, 08:50:10 AM »
Congratulations to all involved, but what's the betting that this is the international equivalent to a club - including Villa - winning the Youth Cup?  Perhaps one or two of those playing today might get full England caps in time, but most will do well do become Premier League regulars.  It will be interesting - and probably quite sad from an England perspective - when in twenty years time the picture of them on podium is published under the headline "Where Are Now?"

Exhibit A - Nathan Delfounso has a combined 42 caps at U19 and U21 level

Online Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2017, 09:26:26 AM »
Let us all sit back and watch where they all are in five years time.  More players brought in from foreign shores to block their path, or poor opportunities due to crap coaching further along their path. I hope not for the sake of the English game.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2017, 11:09:20 AM »
I watched the game really enjoyed pleased for the lads they did well congratulations to them.

Online SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2017, 11:16:51 AM »
Was Andre Green young enough to qualify for this? Surprised he didn't get a call up if he was.

Grealish is in the under 21 squad.

I think we're going through a bit of a dry spell in the youths currently, it happens. Let's just make sure next time we have a decent crop coming through we give them proper chances rather than selling them and then see them win the premier league at other clubs.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2017, 11:18:16 AM »
I watched the game really enjoyed pleased for the lads they did well congratulations to them.
darren what do you think has gone wrong...just to help trevor?

Offline Lucky Eddie

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2017, 09:52:23 PM »

Five years time not twenty.

Offline bobcat

• GM : 01.06.2017
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2017, 10:35:43 PM »
I remember going to both legs of the youth cup final in 2002. Stefan and Luke Moore both scored goals and ran the show whilst Everton's striker Wayne Rooney toiled away without a sniff.

What happened to our youth team of 2002?

Wayne Henderson
Peter Whittingham
Liam Ridgewell
Steven Davis
Luke Moore
Stefan Moore

struggling after that..........

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2017, 11:22:00 PM »
Rooney scored, caused us loads of problems both games and hit the crossbar with a screamer, he was only 16 at the time while most other players were 18 or 19.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal