collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v Birmingham City - Pre Match Thread  (Read 33162 times)

Online UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
Re: Aston Villa v Birmingham City - Pre Match Thread
« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2017, 03:28:24 PM »
I welcome cheating. I'd rather we score a blatant handball goal than a Dalian Atkinson wonder goal. The hilarity as they bleat all the way back to Sherlock Street warm the cockles of your heart.

I want to see....

1-0 Hutton 90+6 (replays show that he was offside and handled the ball twice)

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2017, 03:32:41 PM »
I'd play 4 1 4 1. A system the players should know.

Hopefully Taylor is back, so the solid back four can return;

Johnstone, Taylor, Baker, Chester and Hutton.

Jedinak screening.

In front Hourihane and Lansbury, who both have to have licence to push 10 or 15 yards further up and really support Hogan, particularly in the case of Hourihane. They've got to be hitting the box, safe in the knowledge that Jedinak is occupying space in behind.

Adomah to come back and then if Green is not fit, RHM, so it can become a 433 if needs be.

The pace we move and close the ball has to increase.

Gardner, Jedinak and Grealish as a three are pace less and pedestrian. There is no dynamism there. Hourihane and Lansbury are genuine box to box men, with the engine and the ability to boot.

The mentality has to be right; not 2003 levels of stupidity, but committed. Anything else and we'll struggle.

To get the best from Hogan, Lansbury and Hourihane have to get a lot closer to him. First goal is absolutely critical.

With the greatest of respect Ads, how can a supporter like yourself see this and offer such a tactically aware and simplistic game plan that screams common sense

Yet a £2mil a year professional Manager does not seem to have a clue !

To see him and SC / CC stand on the touch line discussing stuff and then make a change like Hutton yesterday when we are chasing a game not only beggars belief but actually worries me

Offline Hookeysmith

« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2017, 03:33:35 PM »
I welcome cheating. I'd rather we score a blatant handball goal than a Dalian Atkinson wonder goal. The hilarity as they bleat all the way back to Sherlock Street warm the cockles of your heart.

I remember Roger Johnson's face when Gabby won that penalty against them in front of the Holte End. It looked as if his mum had smacked his bottom.

More like the midwife had slapped his face - with a brick :)

Offline QuintonVilla

« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2017, 03:37:42 PM »
4-0. Best performance of the season. Hogan makes himself a hero. The players roared and driven on by the atmosphere. "Redknapp what's the score?". "You're supposed to be in jail". A massive nail in their relegation coffin as Blackburn have won the day before. They all leave the ground after an hour like when we beat them 5-1 and get back on their official coaches.

Or it will be the worst 0-0 you've ever seen.

Offline Hookeysmith

« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2017, 03:47:29 PM »
4-0. Best performance of the season. Hogan makes himself a hero. The players roared and driven on by the atmosphere. "Redknapp what's the score?". "You're supposed to be in jail". A massive nail in their relegation coffin as Blackburn have won the day before. They all leave the ground after an hour like when we beat them 5-1 and get back on their official coaches.

Or it will be the worst 0-0 you've ever seen.

If I was a betting man......................................  in fact I would put money on the latter but with 0-1

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #50 on: April 18, 2017, 03:51:27 PM »
As I've said elsewhere Steve Bruce is really beginning to worry me. Lack of tactics, pace, goals and playing style are all ringing alarm bells for me. That said I can't bring myself to predict anything else but The Mighty Villa 1 The Great Unwashed 0.

Online Jon Crofts

« Reply #51 on: April 18, 2017, 03:53:11 PM »

I want to see....

1-0 Hutton 90+6 (replays show that he was offside and handled the ball twice)

Change handled the ball twice to 'juggled with the match ball, a baltic pie & a small kitten on the edge of the penalty area after punching Harry Redknapp in the face' and I'll take a 1-0 home win.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #52 on: April 18, 2017, 04:06:54 PM »
1-1

Offline manic-road

« Reply #53 on: April 18, 2017, 04:21:54 PM »
I was really hoping that Zola would still be in charge, with the new manager bounce I can see Blose losing by only two goals now. 3-1 home win :)

Online Deano's Mullet

« Reply #54 on: April 18, 2017, 04:46:15 PM »
Not feeling good about this and you just know Craig Gardner will be involved somewhere. 1-1

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2017, 04:50:03 PM »
Not feeling good about this and you just know Craig Gardner will be involved somewhere. 1-1
Will he be in disguise ?

Offline john2710

« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2017, 05:35:15 PM »
As I've said elsewhere Steve Bruce is really beginning to worry me. Lack of tactics, pace, goals and playing style are all ringing alarm bells for me. That said I can't bring myself to predict anything else but The Mighty Villa 1 The Great Unwashed 0.

Have any of Bruce's sides ever played with anything other than a careful approach. I think we're going to get what Bruce has proven works. Hopefully with a sprinkle of quality and pace added over the summer we'll see something better next season.

Offline AlexAlexCropley

« Reply #57 on: April 18, 2017, 05:36:08 PM »
1-0 Battle of Brum gritfest with 2 reds 6 yellows and celebratory pitch invasion

Offline kieron

« Reply #58 on: April 18, 2017, 05:43:40 PM »
I for one am glad it's not on telly.

We all know what usually happens when we are.

Offline The Edge

« Reply #59 on: April 18, 2017, 06:08:20 PM »

Have any of Bruce's sides ever played with anything other than a careful approach. I think we're going to get what Bruce has proven works. Hopefully with a sprinkle of quality and pace added over the summer we'll see something better next season.
I just hope your right

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal