collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v Birmingham City - Pre Match Thread  (Read 33163 times)

Offline Jimbo

Re: Aston Villa v Birmingham City - Pre Match Thread
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2017, 01:07:37 PM »
A nothing game. Playing for pride I guess that's the best you can say.

I'm not sure i agree with this. Unless the game is free to attend, and both goals have been boarded up, I don't think there's such a thing as a 'nothing game'.

Offline somec

• GM : 01.08.2020
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2017, 01:10:12 PM »
Recent events have made this game harder to call.

I wouldn't be surprised if it ended as a draw with at least one sending off (C. Gardner most likely)

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2017, 01:15:48 PM »
Home win.  No other outcome considered.

Offline levico

« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2017, 01:22:26 PM »
Bruce of all people should know the significance of this match to Villa supporters and it'll be a test of his ability to get the players geared up.

I fear that he'll fail, possibly spectacularly and unforgivably.

3-1 to them and we'll never hear the end of it.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2017, 01:32:07 PM »
2 sendings off and a defeat or draw at best.   We are too lightweight for what is about to descend on us

Offline TaxDodger

« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2017, 01:45:03 PM »
Why are we talking about being happy with draws at home to fucking Birmingham City? I know we're poor at the moment, but all of our players are still better than all of their players.

Redknapp can have them as motivated as he likes, but if our players play to anything like their potential we should win the game, even without Kodja. Bruce needs to make bloody sure we're up for it.

Online Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2017, 02:07:27 PM »
Is this Birmingham City who are going to tear us a new one the same Birmingham City who lost at home to mighty Burton Albion and are currently managed by a retired bloke who's last job was the Jordanian national team? Just checking.

Online CT Villan

« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2017, 02:08:45 PM »
I can't see us scoring without JK, so at best 0-0 and with the recent displays of comedy defending a loss is a very real possibility.

Offline KRS

« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2017, 02:33:33 PM »
It's been a long time coming...but it could be time for Jack to step up and make his mark on this season.

Offline Walmley_Villa

• GM : 21.08.2017
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2017, 02:36:41 PM »
Time for Bruce to step up and put a team out that can win the individual battles, create chances and put them away. I'm actually interested to see how we cope without JK, Hogan + another might be what we need. Needs to be a team performance and I'm still convinced JK is a team player.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2017, 02:46:37 PM »
I'd play 4 1 4 1. A system the players should know.

Hopefully Taylor is back, so the solid back four can return;

Johnstone, Taylor, Baker, Chester and Hutton.

Jedinak screening.

In front Hourihane and Lansbury, who both have to have licence to push 10 or 15 yards further up and really support Hogan, particularly in the case of Hourihane. They've got to be hitting the box, safe in the knowledge that Jedinak is occupying space in behind.

Adomah to come back and then if Green is not fit, RHM, so it can become a 433 if needs be.

The pace we move and close the ball has to increase.

Gardner, Jedinak and Grealish as a three are pace less and pedestrian. There is no dynamism there. Hourihane and Lansbury are genuine box to box men, with the engine and the ability to boot.

The mentality has to be right; not 2003 levels of stupidity, but committed. Anything else and we'll struggle.

To get the best from Hogan, Lansbury and Hourihane have to get a lot closer to him. First goal is absolutely critical.

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2017, 03:14:31 PM »
I absolutely agree. Trying to hit Hogan from forty yards when he's likely to have two Nose defenders checking the fit of his shirt all game won't get us anywhere.

Offline john2710

« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2017, 03:15:46 PM »
Hogan cannot play as a lone forward or without support around him, therefore if fit, I'd play Gabby or RHM. Greelish will not get the time & space he needs, at least in the first hour, but could be vital in the last 30 minutes.

Like the game at the sty I think Bruce will be very cautious to start with, Redknapp likewise in the hope that we drop a bollock and don't score many goals even with Kodja in the team. I'm happy for us to cheat, roll around & put pressure on the ref if that's what it takes. I'd prefer we went all out and get right at them from the word go but I'm not sure Bruce will do this.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2017, 03:24:46 PM »
I welcome cheating. I'd rather we score a blatant handball goal than a Dalian Atkinson wonder goal. The hilarity as they bleat all the way back to Sherlock Street warm the cockles of your heart.

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2017, 03:27:49 PM »
I welcome cheating. I'd rather we score a blatant handball goal than a Dalian Atkinson wonder goal. The hilarity as they bleat all the way back to Sherlock Street warm the cockles of your heart.

I remember Roger Johnson's face when Gabby won that penalty against them in front of the Holte End. It looked as if his mum had smacked his bottom.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal