collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 01:08:06 PM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by olaftab
[Today at 12:54:55 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 12:48:20 PM]

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2113297 times)

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
Re: Bruce out?
« Reply #17475 on: August 19, 2018, 12:34:33 AM »
Another interesting poll question would be ‘Do you think Bruce will still be the manager at the end of the season?’. My guess would be no as I think a CEO will put an infrastructure in place, which is needed before changing the manager and then I think they will want their own man.

Even if we go up i hope that's a no. It's about building for the future and you're not going to permanently secure premiership football on Bruceball however much money you throw at it

Offline robleflaneur

« Reply #17476 on: August 19, 2018, 12:41:45 AM »
If we don't think Bruce is the answer ,why persevere with him ?
At least make the first step by appointing a caretaker,Agnew or Calderwood,who might improve us with more freedom for tactics and team selection .
How much longer do we have to suffer this clueless man who talks of it being more difficult to play against 10 than 11 ? If only we had been playing against 12 .

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #17477 on: August 19, 2018, 12:44:12 AM »
...we might be top proper, depending on how Leeds fair
The season is going to be a right merry-go-round, that's for sure.

Ok?

Fun fair metaphor would be my guess. In which case BE might have chosen one of those demented rides in Las Vegas.

What goes in Vegas stays in Vegas.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #17478 on: August 19, 2018, 12:59:19 AM »
I like the guy and naturally want him and everyone at the club to do well, but like some of his predecessors, he just doesn't help himself sometimes with his comments after blatantly poor performances.  The pearl of wisdom today was that "it was always going to be hard coming here with a new manager and ten new players coming in".  You just know if the shoe was on the foot he would be saying "well it's tough as I've only just come in and we've brought ten new players to the club"!!

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #17479 on: August 19, 2018, 08:00:28 AM »
If a decent CEO comes in that knows football there is no way Bruce makes May. We have good players for this division, but no style, playing many out of position and he seems oblivious to the actual issues and just wants to loan a couple of big name forwards to paper over the cracks. He's into his 3rd season and it is still a horribly slow, unbalanced team.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #17480 on: August 19, 2018, 08:18:20 AM »
Agree with that oz.  Would add "disfunctional" to your last sentence.  There is something wilful about the way the players make the same mistakes over and over again.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #17481 on: August 19, 2018, 08:21:56 AM »
Yes ultimately Bruce appears unable to break out beyond his limitations and that will be his downfall. He is a manager whose first thought is one of fear, he constantly has a tactical handbrake on the team.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #17482 on: August 19, 2018, 08:27:56 AM »
Another interesting poll question would be ‘Do you think Bruce will still be the manager at the end of the season?’. My guess would be no as I think a CEO will put an infrastructure in place, which is needed before changing the manager and then I think they will want their own man.

I hope you're right (in a way).

My biggest gripe with Bruce is that his only plus point is his experience at getting clubs promoted.  Beyond that there's no definable footballing style, he is not known for building a youth structure, developing youngsters, improving players and/or scouting networks.  Even if he does get us promoted he is widely considered to be out of his depth in the Premier League. 

It's a house of cards and if he fails at his one 'skill' then the whole club will more backwards far more than if a manager was in place who works on more than one facet of the club. 
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 08:32:46 AM by Dante Lavelli »

Offline GarTomas

Re: Bruce out!
« Reply #17483 on: August 19, 2018, 09:08:13 AM »
He is just not up to the task, it's his third season and we still do not have any discernible way of playing. He has taken all the pace out of the team and moans he has to re-build this season because last years loan players have left ... no shit Sherlock try building something in the first place rather than rely on using other clubs players. His constant playing players out of position is just inexcusable. Yes he may get us promoted with grinding out results but I would not trust him to keep us up.

Wednesday will be the first test against a decent side, watch how Dean Smith has them playing on a fraction of our budget. Front foot, attacking football with nice passing and movement off the ball so the player with the ball has options..... its called coaching. I would take him as our manager in a heartbeat. We have the players to be a very good footballing side, lets get someone in who can unlock that.

No it’s not Dean Smith it’s the boffins signing the right players for him.  Nothing to do with actual coaching and strategy....

Offline The_ads

« Reply #17484 on: August 19, 2018, 09:17:07 AM »
Rodgers all day long

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #17485 on: August 19, 2018, 09:17:45 AM »
If we sack Bruce today, get Smith in tomorrow, I can start the Smith out thread before I hit the Snake Pass.

Offline ez

« Reply #17486 on: August 19, 2018, 09:28:06 AM »
Yes he's got off to the good start he needed. As per last season I expect Bruce will do enough to not get the sack in which case he'll be here for the season.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #17487 on: August 19, 2018, 10:15:04 AM »
We've got a horrible looking run in mid season. If we go into that spell with this squad and playing like this, Bruce will be in trouble

But there's obviously a good chance to bring in 2-3 and get us playing better

We're far from the only team that isn't motoring and leeds' motor is likely to blow up in around January

Offline clash city rocker

« Reply #17488 on: August 19, 2018, 10:38:18 AM »
The tactics of Bruce are the same as a lot of premiership managers in that it's all about not loosing. The trouble with that is you then miss so many golden opportunities to win games. However the premiership managers of that ilk do have one thing going for them that Bruce doesn't. Few of them try to hammer square pegs into round holes.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #17489 on: August 19, 2018, 10:56:57 AM »
The tactics of Bruce are the same as a lot of premiership managers in that it's all about not loosing. The trouble with that is you then miss so many golden opportunities to win games. However the premiership managers of that ilk do have one thing going for them that Bruce doesn't. Few of them try to hammer square pegs into round holes.

Those tactics are understandable if the sole aim is to simply survive in a division.  Our aim is to win or come very close to winning the division we are in, meaning that we are going to have to win a lot of games to achieve that.  It's a totally different mindset.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal