collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:14:26 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 09:07:08 AM]

Re: FFP by Nev
[Today at 09:05:47 AM]

Re: FFP by Chris Smith
[Today at 08:58:35 AM]

Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by chrisw1
[Today at 08:51:41 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by itbrvilla
[Today at 08:50:29 AM]

Re: FFP by chrisw1
[Today at 08:48:04 AM]

Re: FFP by cdward
[Today at 08:44:03 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Scott Hogan - retired  (Read 269553 times)

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
Re: Scott Hogan - confirmed
« Reply #1125 on: February 21, 2018, 09:59:15 AM »
No disrespect to Scott but without balls fed through to him he "with the best will in the world" is a passenger, and how long did it take Johnstone to work out the big boot up field was counter productive, as said above if your not playing to Scotts strengths may as well not play him. Mr Bruce!

I think it is a myth that he only needs balls threaded through to him. Most of his goals for us have been from crosses, he had the chance again last night and mistimed which is just one of those things, another night he would have buried it.

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #1126 on: February 21, 2018, 10:40:17 AM »
One of the two positives last night was Grabban. He's a very confident lad and a half decent footballer too based on his 45 minutes.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #1127 on: February 22, 2018, 09:04:18 AM »
He certainly took the penalty with aplomb. Should be a starter for Saturday.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1128 on: February 26, 2018, 10:10:56 AM »
No disrespect to Scott but without balls fed through to him he "with the best will in the world" is a passenger, and how long did it take Johnstone to work out the big boot up field was counter productive, as said above if your not playing to Scotts strengths may as well not play him. Mr Bruce!

I think it is a myth that he only needs balls threaded through to him. Most of his goals for us have been from crosses, he had the chance again last night and mistimed which is just one of those things, another night he would have buried it.

I agree that it's a myth but I also think your missing something as well.  It's about tempo/timing.  Grealish turns us into a side where we can play 2-3 passes and create a chance from nowhere (even if he isn't directly involved they know he's the threat and his movement catches them).  Hogan responds to that and moves well in the space that gets created in those little bursts.  Once Grealish isn't there we look predictable and pedestrian so defenders have to time to find their position and those gaps aren't around so Hogan has nowhere to play.  This is why we have to find a like-for-like option and why so many people want o'hare to get a chance, it may or may not work but he does a similar job for the U23s so he has the skillset at least.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #1129 on: February 26, 2018, 10:24:52 AM »

I agree that it's a myth but I also think your missing something as well.  It's about tempo/timing.  Grealish turns us into a side where we can play 2-3 passes and create a chance from nowhere (even if he isn't directly involved they know he's the threat and his movement catches them).  Hogan responds to that and moves well in the space that gets created in those little bursts.  Once Grealish isn't there we look predictable and pedestrian so defenders have to time to find their position and those gaps aren't around so Hogan has nowhere to play.  This is why we have to find a like-for-like option and why so many people want o'hare to get a chance, it may or may not work but he does a similar job for the U23s so he has the skillset at least.

Or we need a more adaptable centre forward.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #1130 on: February 26, 2018, 11:10:11 AM »
Grabban looks better than Hogan at every area of the game if you ask me. Just about every game he plays Hogan has miles fewer touches than every other player on the pitch, for either team.  He might run around chasing lost causes like a puppy with a balloon, but that's of little use really.  Even when he had that brief spell of scoring a few, he added very little else up front. 

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1131 on: February 26, 2018, 11:13:06 AM »

Of course.  Personally I'd like to see us try the o'hare/hogan combo with Grabban on the left (if AA and Grealish are still out) before we drop Hogan but either works, how we've started the last 3 games just doesn't help anyone.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #1132 on: February 26, 2018, 11:17:27 AM »

Of course.  Personally I'd like to see us try the o'hare/hogan combo with Grabban on the left (if AA and Grealish are still out) before we drop Hogan but either works, how we've started the last 3 games just doesn't help anyone.

We really need Adomah and Grealish back ASAP, as I think with them feeding Grabban, we'd go back to comfortably seeing off teams.  A better team than Sheffield Wednesday would have battered us on Saturday. 

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #1133 on: February 26, 2018, 01:36:38 PM »
Grabban and Hogan actually worked well together, I thought, on Saturday although it wouldn't be something I'd persist with when AA and JG are back. Grabban has more physical presence and works across the defensive line vey well; I'd like to see him paired with JG and AA when available.

Online Dave P

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1134 on: February 26, 2018, 02:03:25 PM »
Has to be Grealish behind Adomah, Grabban and Snodgrass when all fit imo.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #1135 on: February 26, 2018, 02:14:27 PM »
Has to be Grealish behind Adomah, Grabban and Snodgrass when all fit imo.

Yeah I think we will go back to the 4-1-4-1 formation when Grealish and Adomah return.  Until they do though, playing 2 up front might be our best option. 

Offline jeowje

« Reply #1136 on: February 26, 2018, 04:38:45 PM »
Does anyone know when the aforementioned pair will be back? I’ve skimmed through a few threads but can’t find any mention??

Online Dave P

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1137 on: February 26, 2018, 04:44:44 PM »
Does anyone know when the aforementioned pair will be back? I’ve skimmed through a few threads but can’t find any mention??

There is a chance for Saturday apparently but we'll wait for more news before we get too excited.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #1138 on: February 26, 2018, 05:24:07 PM »
Grabban looks better than Hogan at every area of the game if you ask me. Just about every game he plays Hogan has miles fewer touches than every other player on the pitch, for either team. 

I'd be surprised if those numbers are correct as Hogan needs at least two touches to control the ball. I still like him but we really do miss a proper centre forward.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #1139 on: March 04, 2018, 05:23:40 PM »
The fact we could win so many games playing one up front who barely touches the ball, is testimony to quite how good grealish has been

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal