collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by VillaTim
[Today at 07:23:43 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:23:42 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[Today at 07:22:15 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by OCD
[Today at 07:20:22 PM]

Re: FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 07:17:32 PM]

Re: FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 07:02:54 PM]

Re: FFP by LeeB
[Today at 06:59:38 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Toronto Villa
[Today at 06:56:28 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Scott Hogan - retired  (Read 269666 times)

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
Re: Scott Hogan - confirmed
« Reply #960 on: November 04, 2017, 07:04:10 PM »
Words fail me. Even more hopeless than I thought possible. Up there with Tonev for complete lack of talent and footballing ability.
If we can see this, I do not understand why Bruce can’t and played him today.

Out of loyalty because he signed him I’m guessing. He shouldn’t have started, and when we made the second sub he should have been replaced by O’Hare like for like but they left him on and took off Snodgrass instead. That was poor from Bruce.

To be fair Snodgrass was injured.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #961 on: November 04, 2017, 07:05:38 PM »
Words fail me. Even more hopeless than I thought possible. Up there with Tonev for complete lack of talent and footballing ability.

Out of loyalty because he signed him I’m guessing. He shouldn’t have started, and when we made the second sub he should have been replaced by O’Hare like for like but they left him on and took off Snodgrass instead. That was poor from Bruce.

I didn’t realise. He certainly didn’t look happy going off.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #962 on: November 04, 2017, 07:09:31 PM »

I didn’t realise. He certainly didn’t look happy going off.

You're right, he didn't. But for the 10 mins before you could see he was struggling and Bruce has since said that he was playing with a broken rib.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #963 on: November 04, 2017, 07:14:55 PM »
WM made a massive drama over the Snodgrass sub...well Franksy did. Apparently he flung his shinpads in SB's direction?

Offline XXVilla

« Reply #964 on: November 04, 2017, 09:31:12 PM »
Bruce was on the touch line wasn’t he? Shin pads went into the Doug Out. Frustration at the situation nothing else.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #965 on: November 04, 2017, 10:46:08 PM »
WM made a massive drama over the Snodgrass sub...well Franksy did. Apparently he flung his shinpads in SB's direction?

Shows what he was watching.  He clearly took something off from under his shirt on the way off (guessing it was some kind of rib protector from the comments above) and threw that. 

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #966 on: November 04, 2017, 11:17:32 PM »
Hogan is a metaphysical footballer. He seems to make the perfect run without actually ever recieving the ball, and no disappointing performance is ever really his fault.

Or he could just be crap. Tough call.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #967 on: November 04, 2017, 11:24:12 PM »
I don't know. He's obviously suffering from a lack of confidence but watch his goals on youtube. They're not lucky, just getting the ball passed to him on the floor, or crossed accurately. If he was missing sitters all the time or messing up in front of goal that would be one thing. He just doesn't get the ball to miss sitters or accurate crosses.

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #968 on: November 04, 2017, 11:30:56 PM »
brentford played a system that benefitted him, you'd hope with us spending so much money on him that we had a plan on how to utilise him aswell but its looking more and more like we signed him purely because he scored goals without any idea of how to get the best out of him, he sure as hell isn't a fucking target man or a winger.

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #969 on: November 04, 2017, 11:32:40 PM »
People keep defending Hogan in that regard, but if it so clearly doesn't work, it's up to him to help change that. I hate the long ball and have sympathy with him there, but I refuse to believe players like Hourihane and Onomah are too dense to spot one of these perfect runs Hogan is supposed to make. So he liked it to feet at Brentford? Tough. Change your game. Develop. It's the only way it'll work for him under Bruce, because the guy is here to stay for the foreseeable, whereas Hogan may have seven or eight weeks left at Villa Park if he can't get his head right or take chances like the start he was given today.

Offline sickbeggar

« Reply #970 on: November 04, 2017, 11:38:20 PM »
Just think that's daft. I mean Bruce must have known what kind of player he was? Like buying a sports car and wanting to drive it off-road. He seems to like it to feet while hanging off the shoulders of the defenders (the amount of offsides he beats at brentford is worth seeing). Surely that's not too hard for our midfield to adapt to, rather than try and turn him into Kodja?

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #971 on: November 04, 2017, 11:38:56 PM »
Its up to him to change his style? He obviously can't and that is all on Bruce for not doing his homework on him before signing him.

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #972 on: November 04, 2017, 11:44:26 PM »
What I'm getting at is that Hogan can scream until he's blue in the face that he wants to play one way, but it's obvious that Bruce has no intention of sending us out to do that. So Hogan can't just wait for it to click - what can he do to make it work? If I was him, and I would say it's a fair bet he's keen to find out, I'd be racking my brains to adapt so I don't get benched or sold.

Offline sickbeggar

« Reply #973 on: November 04, 2017, 11:47:25 PM »
still dont get the thinking really. get our midfield to pass to him on the floor or tell him to become Kodja. I'm sorry but even if he does what kodja does he's never going to be any good at it. you could have asked Dwight York to do the same and he would have been crap at it as well.

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #974 on: November 04, 2017, 11:51:26 PM »
So what's the solution? Play him as we do now, where he's completely redundant and hope it works? Because, and I can't stress this enough, there is no evidence Steve Bruce is going to change the way we play to accommodate him. I'm not asking Hogan to become Kodjia, but I'm fed up with people excusing his non-performances on confidence. It's not working for him and there must be something he himself can adjust.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal