collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by Chris Smith
[Today at 08:58:35 AM]

Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by chrisw1
[Today at 08:51:41 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by itbrvilla
[Today at 08:50:29 AM]

Re: FFP by chrisw1
[Today at 08:48:04 AM]

Re: FFP by cdward
[Today at 08:44:03 AM]

Re: FFP by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 08:31:47 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Hillbilly
[Today at 08:29:13 AM]

Re: Brian Evans by Scratchins
[Today at 08:23:18 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Scott Hogan - retired  (Read 269545 times)

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
Re: Scott Hogan - confirmed
« Reply #870 on: October 30, 2017, 12:27:14 PM »
you cant play Hogan on the wing. He is a good sub to have If only you play him where he should be playing.
Agree about not playing him on the wing, but he has shown nothing to suggest he is a good sub either.
Look at the impact Ohare had in 10 minutes against Wolves.
We have far better players than Hogan, Bruce keeps chucking him on to justify the ridiculous fee he paid for him.
Another Bruce fuck up.

kind of agree Chicago but we only need to get an (bad) injury to JK or KD and does not leave us a lot of cover . Id be depressed if Gabby became the No 1 striker .
You are forgetting Samba ;)

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #871 on: October 30, 2017, 12:28:18 PM »
I don't see why Hogan is seemingly blameless in his not being very good. If he is unable to adapt to different systems then he is not a very good footballer. He's a dud, a waste of money.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #872 on: October 30, 2017, 12:29:51 PM »
you cant play Hogan on the wing. He is a good sub to have If only you play him where he should be playing.
Agree about not playing him on the wing, but he has shown nothing to suggest he is a good sub either.
Look at the impact Ohare had in 10 minutes against Wolves.
We have far better players than Hogan, Bruce keeps chucking him on to justify the ridiculous fee he paid for him.
Another Bruce fuck up.

kind of agree Chicago but we only need to get an (bad) injury to JK or KD and does not leave us a lot of cover . Id be depressed if Gabby became the No 1 striker .

So would I but Bruce has already shown a complete unwillingness to play a style which suits Hogan so if we're just going to launch balls forward Gabby would actually cause the opposition more problems.

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #873 on: October 30, 2017, 12:32:10 PM »
I don't see why Hogan is seemingly blameless in his not being very good. If he is unable to adapt to different systems then he is not a very good footballer. He's a dud, a waste of money.
He was signed as a forward that primarily gets on the end of through balls. We do not play that style of football at all. If we wanted a forward that can play different roles then we should of signed one instead. It was poor use of our transfer funds.

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #874 on: October 30, 2017, 12:34:09 PM »

Not being good wouldn't be his fault though, would it? It would just be a fact. If he wasn't trying or something then fair enough people are entitled to have a pop at him.

Personally I still think there is a decent striker in there if we play to a system that suits him. It is reasonable to expect players to be adaptable but that has to be within reason. There would be no point e.g. playing a long ball game with a five foot four striker or expecting Peter Crouch to play a dynamic running game.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #875 on: October 30, 2017, 12:37:54 PM »

Not being good wouldn't be his fault though, would it? It would just be a fact. If he wasn't trying or something then fair enough people are entitled to have a pop at him.

Personally I still think there is a decent striker in there if we play to a system that suits him. It is reasonable to expect players to be adaptable but that has to be within reason. There would be no point e.g. playing a long ball game with a five foot four striker or expecting Peter Crouch to play a dynamic running game.

There's demonstrably a decent footballer there or he wouldn't have scored 21 goals in 33 matches for Brentford.

Saying Hogan's "not very good" is like saying a Bugatti Veyron's crap because it can't tow a caravan.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #876 on: October 30, 2017, 12:38:30 PM »
Kodjia is out for the Preston game so Hogan needs to step up

Would think he'll play Davis up top by himself with Albert and Snodgrass in a 5 man midfield pushing on and supporting.

Elmo Chester Terry Hutton
Snodgrass Jedinak Whelan Hourihane Albert
Davis

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #877 on: October 30, 2017, 12:40:21 PM »
Yeah, Davis will start for the Preston game. We need to hold onto the ball more up front and Davis can provide that.

Online brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #878 on: October 30, 2017, 12:42:35 PM »

Would think he'll play Davis up top by himself with Albert and Snodgrass in a 5 man midfield pushing on and supporting.

Davis

Is Grealish available yet? Jedinak and Whelan in midfield won't be pretty, might be time to give Whelan a breather. Has a lot of games played. Didn't happen for Onomoah yesterday but Preston game might be just what he needs.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #879 on: October 30, 2017, 12:47:22 PM »

Davis

Is Grealish available yet? Jedinak and Whelan in midfield won't be pretty, might be time to give Whelan a breather. Has a lot of games played. Didn't happen for Onomoah yesterday but Preston game might be just what he needs.

I would go with that (jedinak holding with Onomah and Hourihane playing in front of him and pushing on) and it will be interesting to see if Taylor comes back in or if Hutton keeps his place. 

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #880 on: October 30, 2017, 12:50:23 PM »
Huttons done well i  covering left back but Taylor balances the line up better. Having 3 out of 4 of our wide positions all wanting to cut inside is far from ideal.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #881 on: October 30, 2017, 01:27:57 PM »
He was signed as a forward that primarily gets on the end of through balls. We do not play that style of football at all. If we wanted a forward that can play different roles then we should of signed one instead. It was poor use of our transfer funds.

I agree with you. As we don't play that style i cannot yet confirm that he is a complete dud - not like he is missing loads of chances. But i fear he won't make it with us.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #882 on: October 30, 2017, 09:53:36 PM »
I'm moving more from "it's just not happening for him" to " he's not good enough".

To be a quality player you've got to at least be able to adapt your skills somewhat. He can't seem to be effective in any system we play. If money is tight I'd offload as soon as possible and try and bring in someone that doesn't resemble a spirited Daschund fruitlessly chasing German Shepards.

Offline passitsideways

« Reply #883 on: October 31, 2017, 04:20:23 AM »
I'm moving more from "it's just not happening for him" to " he's not good enough".

To be a quality player you've got to at least be able to adapt your skills somewhat. He can't seem to be effective in any system we play. If money is tight I'd offload as soon as possible and try and bring in someone that doesn't resemble a spirited Daschund fruitlessly chasing German Shepards.

The use of "any" makes it sound like we're playing a number of noticeably stylistically-different systems though, when we really aren't. Fair enough with the rest of your post, but even the good performances have involved the centre forward basically being used as a lamp-post.

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #884 on: October 31, 2017, 07:09:38 AM »

The use of "any" makes it sound like we're playing a number of noticeably stylistically-different systems though, when we really aren't. Fair enough with the rest of your post, but even the good performances have involved the centre forward basically being used as a lamp-post.

Teams tend to sit deep against us, not allowing the space required to play to his perceived strengths. I expect that given a run of games he might, in time, find a way to adapt. We don’t really have the time to risk it.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal