collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Scott Hogan - retired  (Read 269645 times)

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
Re: Scott Hogan - confirmed
« Reply #735 on: October 03, 2017, 09:21:39 PM »
Poor signing in the sense that he's been bought for a huge fee and no plan how to use him but he's a very good player and the one I really feel sorry for because we appear to have found a winning formula without him in the team. I really think this one was a ridiculous panic buy. I've absolutely no doubt he'll do well for us if we can accommodate him and if not he'll do very well for someone else at this level certainly, maybe higher.

It was a panic buy absolutely. I’m also not sure that he’s a very good player, as to me he looks like a one trick lower league pony who has won the lottery after a good half season with Brentford.
I am also confused by the " very good player" comments I keep seeing.
If you play up front, you have to be able to hold the ball up and he doesn't.
Great technique? Strength? Good in the air? Lots of pace ? Nope.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #736 on: October 03, 2017, 09:53:24 PM »
I think Hogan is a good player but could do with a run in the team of three or four games to give him a decent chance of getting some chances and goals. Added to the fact Bruce doesn't seem to know how to play to his strengths - despite buying him -  it's very difficult for him to get opportunities in 15-20 minute cameos.   

Would weaken us though.

For how we actually play week in week out Kodjia and Davis for different reasons are ideal strikers in the final third for us. Davis can properly hold it up and in the games when we're clueless going forward individualism from Kodjia creates chances and goals.

Hogan can't do either from what I've seen.

In a funny way he reminds me of Collymore (without all the baggage). Week after week people were saying this would be the game where Stan would score and he'd go on a run but it just never happened bar a couple of good weeks when we were top of the league in 1998.

I think it's not far off when we'll have to cut our losses on him like McCormack.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #737 on: October 03, 2017, 09:56:20 PM »
I'm not so sure about him being a panic buy. There's not much evidence of that really to be honest. I think he's a very good player as well. It's just not happened for him here yet unfortunately.

Considering how we play a much better signing would've been giving Newcastle 4m for Daryl Murphy in January.

No one can argue he's a 12m player anyway. That sort is someone who could step up and do well in the prem and I see little that suggests he could hurt premier league defences.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #738 on: October 03, 2017, 09:59:05 PM »
We definitely paid way more than market rate

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #739 on: October 03, 2017, 10:01:20 PM »
How much did Brentford sell Jota for, 6m?

That's the sort where you can pay and if it dosen't come off you can get most of your money back.

12m really needs to be an all round forward who can hold it up, score and also be good enough to step up as/when promotion happens.

Offline Chinchilla Bathhouse

• GM : 25.01.2020
« Reply #740 on: October 03, 2017, 10:25:41 PM »

There was a bit of a bidding war that drove up the price. I'm sure West Ham had bid about £8m at one point. At the time it looked to me like we were desperate to make a big signing, any big signing, to show that we still had some clout. Hogan never looked a Bruce type player. He was just a statement signing; unfortunately that statement was 'we haven't got a fucking clue what we're doing.'

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #741 on: October 03, 2017, 10:33:00 PM »
He'd just have been another Snodgrass if he'd moved to West Ham.

There's another club who just sign players for the sake of it.

Bilic signed Snodgrass and then asked him just before he came on for his debut where he played.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #742 on: October 03, 2017, 10:47:34 PM »
I'm not so sure about him being a panic buy. There's not much evidence of that really to be honest. I think he's a very good player as well. It's just not happened for him here yet unfortunately.

1 league goal in twenty odd appearances is a pathetic return, whatever the mitigating circumstances.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #743 on: October 04, 2017, 06:46:20 AM »

1 league goal in twenty odd appearances is a pathetic return, whatever the mitigating circumstances.

It's not been a good return no, but it still doesn't mean it was a panic buy.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #744 on: October 04, 2017, 07:53:24 AM »
We keep coming back inevitably to the plain truth that in football, time is a luxury you can't afford.  While you are fart arsing around trying to structure a team to bring out the best in an individual player the season's games are being ticked off.  The real cost of a player is not only what we paid for him in purchase price and wages but what he costs us by being unable to do what we paid for. 

Online Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #745 on: October 04, 2017, 08:29:33 AM »
Like Gestede and Sherwood, I suspect someone had decided that Hogan was the answer and went out and bought him for whatever they could; in this case, a whopping £12m.
Problem is: what was the question they were providing an answer for?
 - Kodjia, IMO, is not a target man, so Hogan would always struggle to work off him
 - Villa did not / does not have a MF general, able to thread the ball through to Hogan through the channels
 - the current set-up does not move the ball quikcly, pullling defences out of position, creating space for Hogan to run into

Like several before him, Hogan is a misfit in the current set-up.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #746 on: October 04, 2017, 08:52:33 AM »

It's not been a good return no, but it still doesn't mean it was a panic buy.

How do you think Bruce intended to utilise him?

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #747 on: October 04, 2017, 11:09:44 AM »
Like Gestede and Sherwood, I suspect someone had decided that Hogan was the answer and went out and bought him for whatever they could; in this case, a whopping £12m.
 - Kodjia, IMO, is not a target man, so Hogan would always struggle to work off him
 - Villa did not / does not have a MF general, able to thread the ball through to Hogan through the channels
 - the current set-up does not move the ball quikcly, pullling defences out of position, creating space for Hogan to run into

I do think we're forgetting that Grealish is still out. With him in the side (and if earlier comments by the manager are true) and the central force of our attacking play, he's intelligent enough to play Hogan through.

I do think that Hogan will come good, I also think that Kodjia will start scoring from free play again soon too. When that all clicks we'll be more than ok, especially with the goals coming from midfield right now.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #748 on: October 04, 2017, 11:21:34 AM »

Have to agree with that.  We play an awful lot of long passes up to the front players, so having someone up there who is mobile, can challenge and hold the ball up is a must.  We definitely need another player like that in the squad, as it will be tough for Davis to lead the line all season. 

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #749 on: October 04, 2017, 11:33:49 AM »

and as he's not one for the future, you would have to say he was a panic buy, especially as funds were limited.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal