collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Scott Hogan - retired  (Read 269655 times)

Offline in exile

• GM : 22.07.2022
Re: Scott Hogan - confirmed
« Reply #645 on: September 20, 2017, 08:59:23 AM »
He and Bruce had words when Hogan was substituted last night, and by the look of body language they were not very friendly

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #646 on: September 20, 2017, 09:11:25 AM »
It's like watching Tyrion Lannister running into battle.
Spot on. That made me 😂. I needed cheering up after last night. Thanks.

Offline The Edge

« Reply #647 on: September 20, 2017, 09:15:18 AM »
He's a very strange looking footballer. All torso with short legs.  When he's trying to get a sprint on, you can see his legs are going ten to the dozen, but to very little effect with all defenders catching him no trouble.
Tyrion Lannister? (shamelessly nicks someone else's quote)

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #648 on: September 20, 2017, 09:24:32 AM »
Feel sorry for him, SB has bought him and has no idea what to do with him....also see Hourihane and Lansbury.

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #649 on: September 20, 2017, 09:34:37 AM »
It's like watching Tyrion Lannister running into battle.

Brilliant analogy, probably needs Jamie or even Gregor Clegane to play off

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #650 on: September 20, 2017, 10:23:19 AM »
I am struggling to think of a player I have seen play for us who has had less impact on a game than Hogan.  I understand that the service wasn't great again last night, but he had absolutely no affect on the game whatsoever.  I fully understand it must be difficult when the service is so limited, but he doesn't make it difficult for defenders at all and they seem to have such an easy time against him. 

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #651 on: September 20, 2017, 10:25:08 AM »
Guess who's recently binge watched GoT

Offline KRS

« Reply #652 on: September 20, 2017, 10:34:46 AM »
I am struggling to think of a player I have seen play for us who has had less impact on a game than Hogan.  I understand that the service wasn't great again last night, but he had absolutely no affect on the game whatsoever.  I fully understand it must be difficult when the service is so limited, but he doesn't make it difficult for defenders at all and they seem to have such an easy time against him. 
He's one of those forwards that can't really make chances for himself (see J.Kodjia) and needs goals handed to him on a plate (see D.Bent) so requires the correct service. He'll continue to be a waste of time and money unless Bruce starts to use him correctly.

Offline The Edge

« Reply #653 on: September 20, 2017, 10:36:52 AM »
Can't fault his effort he does his best to close down defenders. But he has no real turn of pace so the only way he can be effective for us is to keep putting the ball into danger areas where he can try to anticipate and get on the end of them. Sadly for him I just don't see that happening. Bruce is going with the all round threat that Kodja & Davis provide.Brentfords style of play suited his abilities far better. A signing that Bruce just gave little to no thought on integrating into the team. I wouldn't be too happy if it was my 12 million he spent.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #654 on: September 20, 2017, 11:03:26 AM »
Can't fault his effort he does his best to close down defenders. But he has no real turn of pace so the only way he can be effective for us is to keep putting the ball into danger areas where he can try to anticipate and get on the end of them. Sadly for him I just don't see that happening. Bruce is going with the all round threat that Kodja & Davis provide.Brentfords style of play suited his abilities far better. A signing that Bruce just gave little to no thought on integrating into the team. I wouldn't be too happy if it was my 12 million he spent.

As others have said, it's not all his fault but he offers absolutely nothing in terms of what you would expect from a forward.  He doesn't offer a target, he doesn't hold the ball up, he doesn't challenge in the air, he doesn't work the channels, he doesn't drop deep and doesn't link play up.  I do feel for the guy, but at the moment he just looks so ineffective.  I would rather have Agbonlahor up front and that is saying something.

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #655 on: September 20, 2017, 11:14:34 AM »

As others have said, it's not all his fault but he offers absolutely nothing in terms of what you would expect from a forward.  He doesn't offer a target, he doesn't hold the ball up, he doesn't challenge in the air, he doesn't work the channels, he doesn't drop deep and doesn't link play up.  I do feel for the guy, but at the moment he just looks so ineffective.  I would rather have Agbonlahor up front and that is saying something.

Agree 100% Tom apart from your last sentence.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #656 on: September 20, 2017, 05:27:40 PM »
He played upfront in a 451 for Brentford - that's the thing that perplexes me a bit. Obviously different style. But even so he still just doesn't look capable of playing that role at all for me

Look at the goals he scored. The ball was played through to him. Brentford played with midfielders and forwards close together not fucking miles apart. He's being asked to do a role that just doesn't suit him. For a "manager" and I'm going to use that term loosely for Bungle Bruce, not to know that, or to have spent that much money and not play to his strengths just shows how utterly out of touch he is.

Online London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #657 on: September 20, 2017, 09:49:39 PM »
&feature=share

Through balls from midfield... all a bit alien for us.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #658 on: September 20, 2017, 10:00:39 PM »
All those through balls.....

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #659 on: September 20, 2017, 10:11:41 PM »
All those through balls.....
He is a goal poacher, wants to hang around and get played in, that's his game, a one trick pony, unfortunately he is playing for a manager that is not going to feed the pony.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal