collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by pablo_picasso
[Today at 08:07:11 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Edge
[Today at 07:51:24 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:47:37 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by OCD
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Nev
[Today at 07:38:29 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Ian.
[Today at 07:37:07 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 07:36:44 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Scott Hogan - retired  (Read 269684 times)

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
Re: Scott Hogan - confirmed
« Reply #525 on: August 17, 2017, 08:44:25 AM »
Agree OMVF.  Once Eric Black allowed the remnants of the relegation side to dangle in the wind all plans for an immediate return to the Premiership were lost and replaced by baseless expectation.  We were so bad when we were relegated and the club in the Lerner bale out vacuum was such a mess, and in many respects continues to be a mess, it was clearly going to be a long haul.  I have always thought 3 to 5 years of rebuilding and have seen nothing to make me change that view.  The throwing of money at problems wantonly has to stop.  The effectiveness of money is only as good as the judgement of those spending it.  Our judgement has been very poor.  No, it has been downright irresponsible.

As I posted yesterday, and as you underscore OMVF our circling of the plughole has become unstoppable as Villa become regarded as a trough of money for increasingly second rate players to get their noses in.  On Saturday I would pick Davis ahead of Agbonlahor.  He is a better, younger, faster, stronger player than Gabby and can only grow into money for us.  I bet Davis gets  less than a twentieth of Gabby's wages.  But who will Bruce pick?  Gabby.

Online boozey182

• GM : PCM
« Reply #526 on: August 17, 2017, 09:47:51 AM »
Agree OMVF.  Once Eric Black allowed the remnants of the relegation side to dangle in the wind all plans for an immediate return to the Premiership were lost and replaced by baseless expectation.  We were so bad when we were relegated and the club in the Lerner bale out vacuum was such a mess, and in many respects continues to be a mess, it was clearly going to be a long haul.  I have always thought 3 to 5 years of rebuilding and have seen nothing to make me change that view.  The throwing of money at problems wantonly has to stop.  The effectiveness of money is only as good as the judgement of those spending it.  Our judgement has been very poor.  No, it has been downright irresponsible.

As I posted yesterday, and as you underscore OMVF our circling of the plughole has become unstoppable as Villa become regarded as a trough of money for increasingly second rate players to get their noses in.  On Saturday I would pick Davis ahead of Agbonlahor.  He is a better, younger, faster, stronger player than Gabby and can only grow into money for us.  I bet Davis gets  less than a twentieth of Gabby's wages.  But who will Bruce pick?  Gabby.

You're right on the money Brian. The only promising aspect of the side that came out in pre-season was the promising young players that bossed the games in Germany. O'Hare and Bree both did enough against Colchester to have earned a start, but both were dropped, so we had to watch Lansbury and Hutton trudge their way through another defeat.

The lack of imagination shown by the manager, coaches and Wyness is pathetic. I would say it is unbelievable, but unfortunately it's anything but. Tediously predictable. Translate that into Latin and put it on the badge.

On a more positive note, however, if we can use some of the younger players in conjunction with the cloggers, I'm sure we could still make a decent side out of what we have. Add a centre back with pace next to Chester, some creativity in midfield and we're pretty much there once Kodjia comes back.

Offline KRS

« Reply #527 on: August 17, 2017, 10:02:24 AM »
The lack of imagination shown by the manager, coaches and Wyness is pathetic. I would say it is unbelievable, but unfortunately it's anything but. Tediously predictable. Translate that into Latin and put it on the badge.
moleste praevidere

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #528 on: August 17, 2017, 10:45:09 AM »
Criticsing Hogan at this stage seems akin to having a go at Fernando Alonso for not winning because McLaren have forgot to put any fuel in his car.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #529 on: August 17, 2017, 10:50:33 AM »
Isn't it his job to look at the fuel gauge?

Offline AVH87

• GM : 13.02.2021
« Reply #530 on: August 17, 2017, 10:53:16 AM »
Hogan probably feels like he's competing against McLarens and Bentleys in a Fiat Cinquecento at the moment.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #531 on: August 17, 2017, 11:47:48 AM »

You're right on the money Brian. The only promising aspect of the side that came out in pre-season was the promising young players that bossed the games in Germany. O'Hare and Bree both did enough against Colchester to have earned a start, but both were dropped, so we had to watch Lansbury and Hutton trudge their way through another defeat.

On a more positive note, however, if we can use some of the younger players in conjunction with the cloggers, I'm sure we could still make a decent side out of what we have. Add a centre back with pace next to Chester, some creativity in midfield and we're pretty much there once Kodjia comes back.

I said in pre-season that the better performances seemed to coincide with an increased number of kids starting the games because they were bringing movement and energy that was missing otherwise.  The games we've seen this season just back that up.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #532 on: August 17, 2017, 03:03:10 PM »
Hogan is  never going to thrive at Villa and if he does I will eat my season ticket. So there.

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #533 on: August 17, 2017, 03:29:51 PM »
He might if Bruce is given the hoof and is replaced by Dean Smith.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #534 on: August 17, 2017, 11:37:51 PM »
Criticsing Hogan at this stage seems akin to having a go at Fernando Alonso for not winning because McLaren have forgot to put any fuel in his car.

He has had chances though this season and hasn't converted them.

I know he's feeding on scraps but considering he cost 12m is it too much to ask for him to convert his one on ones with the keeper?

Offline waynejames

« Reply #535 on: August 17, 2017, 11:48:15 PM »
When he plays on the last man he waits and waits for an intelligent player to put a through ball in to run onto.
He suffers because we have players who have the speed of thought equivalent of Kirk off Coronation Street.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #536 on: August 18, 2017, 07:43:45 AM »

He has had chances though this season and hasn't converted them.

I know he's feeding on scraps but considering he cost 12m is it too much to ask for him to convert his one on ones with the keeper?

Nope. Presumably 6 months of feeding off scraps and almost no goals does dent the confidence a lot

He's only had 6 good months at this level tho so we don't really know his true quality. Aside from style and stature, I do also have concerns that he struggles with the pressure of playing for a much bigger club than he's used to.

Look at the way he swept in those goals in Germany. He looks a million miles from that player again now

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #537 on: August 18, 2017, 09:02:23 AM »
no pressure then though - the wick's up to max already and he looks like a headless chicken

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #538 on: August 18, 2017, 10:47:26 AM »
Wasn't he all set to sign for West Ham and they dropped their interest fairly sharpish?

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #539 on: August 18, 2017, 12:40:09 PM »
Is there any injury update on him or Elmo etc

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal