collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Scott Hogan - retired  (Read 269596 times)

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
Re: Scott Hogan - confirmed
« Reply #345 on: April 08, 2017, 07:45:52 PM »
Looked hopeless today.

No.he didn't, he looked completely isolated and starved of any chances or support.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #346 on: April 08, 2017, 07:50:38 PM »
I've not really a big fan of forwards who desperately need others to create chances for them.

In the modern game you need your central striker to be so much more than that if you want to advance as a team.

We saw that with Darren Bent. Very good with Young and Downing either side of him but as soon as both left he became a bit of a luxury player as if he wasn't tapping them in it was very much 10 men on the pitch as he hardly touched the ball.

I much prefer forwards like Benteke and Kodjia who can create chances out of nothing with their pace and trickery. Even Gabby when he was bothered could do this.

That said I'm still willing to give Hogan a chance as it's been a bit stop start so far with injuries and having to play understudy to Johnny K. I do think he'll chip in with his fair share next season and be a much better player for the club than McCormack has been.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #347 on: April 08, 2017, 08:01:01 PM »
If he's going to create chances for himself then he needs the ball.

Offline Rudy65

« Reply #348 on: April 08, 2017, 08:07:43 PM »
No service whatsoever today. Need to play through the channels to benefit him.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #349 on: April 08, 2017, 08:11:04 PM »

He's playing with the same players Kodjia is?

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #350 on: April 08, 2017, 08:26:55 PM »

and they don't create chances for him either.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #351 on: April 08, 2017, 08:33:06 PM »

and they don't create chances for him either.

The goal on Tuesday was a chance created for Kodjia.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #352 on: April 08, 2017, 08:58:47 PM »
Hogan is a strange one for me in that I don't really get why Bruce wanted him.  He's not quick enough to chase things down and score with breaks from the halfway line and he's not big enough or strong enough to hold it up and make chances for people arriving late.  If you're going to play as deep as we do then you need strikers that fit 1 of those.  It's not like Bruce has has huge success with 'fox in the box' type strikers before, and certainly not playing 1 of them up front on his own.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #353 on: April 08, 2017, 10:39:28 PM »
Hogan is a strange one for me in that I don't really get why Bruce wanted him.  He's not quick enough to chase things down and score with breaks from the halfway line and he's not big enough or strong enough to hold it up and make chances for people arriving late.  If you're going to play as deep as we do then you need strikers that fit 1 of those.  It's not like Bruce has has huge success with 'fox in the box' type strikers before, and certainly not playing 1 of them up front on his own.

Yes I worry it was a lazy signing like RDM did with McCormack e.g. just look at how is up there in the championship goal scoring charts and sign them without any real idea how to fit them into the team.

SB has a hit and miss record with strikers at previous clubs but then I suppose most managers are like that.

Offline itbrvilla

• GM : 16.02.2022
« Reply #354 on: April 09, 2017, 07:49:10 AM »

Yes I worry it was a lazy signing like RDM did with McCormack e.g. just look at how is up there in the championship goal scoring charts and sign them without any real idea how to fit them into the team.

SB has a hit and miss record with strikers at previous clubs but then I suppose most managers are like that.
A lot of our transfers feel like that. We've been ripped off for most of them. Only Kod and Chester look like value for money players

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #355 on: April 09, 2017, 10:18:23 AM »
There is an extreme case of verbal diarrea on this thread. A real steaming pile of fly infested horseshit.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #356 on: April 09, 2017, 10:24:06 AM »
Their does seem to be a lack of paitence with new players nowadays if they don't hit the ground running.

Offline in exile

• GM : 22.07.2022
« Reply #357 on: April 09, 2017, 10:26:12 AM »
Mmmm...horseshit

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #358 on: April 09, 2017, 11:00:22 AM »
Their does seem to be a lack of paitence with new players nowadays if they don't hit the ground running.

Absolutely. His time with us has been disrupted by injuries, until he has had an unbroken run of games and the chance to develop a partnership with Kodjia then we cannot form any sort of informed judgement.

Offline villa `cross the mersey

« Reply #359 on: April 09, 2017, 11:41:58 AM »
Watched him closely in the pre match warm up and when he came on for a short stint (where he barely got a touch) .

He`s a stocky lad and doesn't appear to have much pace - slightly overweight?

It was interesting watching him having shots in on the keeper - he was shocking , poor control, mis-hit most of his shots at goal and didn't look too interested .
Hopefully he will pick up fitness pre-season and get some vital goals for us next year.

I am not too sure about these comments tbh

These were my observations on the night  - I was sitting at the front of the Holte and had a very good view. To be blunt I didn't recognise him at first - I honestly thought he was one of the coaching staff at first, as his technique and physique did not marry up with my idea of a professional footballer.
He sounds like the kind of striker who will thrive on playing alongside another and will not shine as a lone striker.

I hope he comes good but my first observation of him was disappointing.

Yesterday, as Tuesday it sounds like he had little service - not his fault, but surely SB and the coaches  must know his strengths by now - however my recollection in front of goal, pre match Tuesday was that he did not appear interested - just my opinion  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal