collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Scott Hogan - retired  (Read 269654 times)

Online Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
Re: Scott Hogan - confirmed
« Reply #270 on: February 21, 2017, 01:20:53 PM »
Hogan could be an enormous asset to us if only we could play to his strengths - long, high, hopeful punts will not be exploited by a player who prefers to use his considerable pace with the ball on the ground, through the channels. Seeking to use the full backs to provide the killer pass (or, even worse, the CB) is not a strategy favouring either Hogan or Kodjia.
I hope he gets fit, and I hope that RHM (if / when fit) also gets a meaningful run-out.

Offline itbrvilla

• GM : 16.02.2022
« Reply #271 on: February 21, 2017, 01:29:05 PM »
Hogan could be an enormous asset to us if only we could play to his strengths - long, high, hopeful punts will not be exploited by a player who prefers to use his considerable pace with the ball on the ground, through the channels. Seeking to use the full backs to provide the killer pass (or, even worse, the CB) is not a strategy favouring either Hogan or Kodjia.
I hope he gets fit, and I hope that RHM (if / when fit) also gets a meaningful run-out.
Spot on. Same can be said for many of our players I.e. not playing to their strengths.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #272 on: February 21, 2017, 01:32:32 PM »
He looked in agony last night stamping his left foot down repeatedly while holding his head with his hands.

If he's got away with no ligament damage then that's good news.

Online curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #273 on: February 21, 2017, 02:53:18 PM »
If his foot's just sprained, that is brilliant news. He hasn't contributed what he's clearly worth yet, but if he's able to play at all this season, Bruce has to find a spot for him rather than just an add-on. Kodjia is not going to be prolific enough to get us out of this, while Hogan was at Brentford. Why he's persevered with Kodjia being his main goalscorer I can't work out.

Offline Villatillidie25

« Reply #274 on: February 21, 2017, 03:13:08 PM »
If his foot's just sprained, that is brilliant news. He hasn't contributed what he's clearly worth yet, but if he's able to play at all this season, Bruce has to find a spot for him rather than just an add-on. Kodjia is not going to be prolific enough to get us out of this, while Hogan was at Brentford. Why he's persevered with Kodjia being his main goalscorer I can't work out.

I would probably argue that buying Hogan in the first place suggests Bruce does not see Kodjia as the long-term main goal threat. The fact that we are still so disjointed and aren't using Hogan to his strengths is probably symptomatic of our current plight, rather than an indication that Bruce expects Kodjia to remain the main goal scorer.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #275 on: February 21, 2017, 03:49:55 PM »
Kodjia's got a move to a mid-table PL side nailed on imo.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #276 on: February 21, 2017, 03:53:31 PM »
Everton at a guess.

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #277 on: February 21, 2017, 03:53:53 PM »
Kodjia is nowhere near mid table Premier League standard.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #278 on: February 21, 2017, 03:55:49 PM »
I humbly beg to differ - he could do a useful job at any number of lower status PL clubs

Offline manic-road

« Reply #279 on: February 21, 2017, 03:58:14 PM »
I humbly beg to differ - he could do a useful job at any number of lower status PL clubs

Agree, he is far better than Ayew and he got a move to the Prem league albeit not a mid table one at the moment.

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #280 on: February 21, 2017, 03:59:14 PM »
No chance, there's a reason why he's 28 and spent his career in France and at the arse end of the Championship, he doesn't have the awareness to play at a higher level.

Offline aev

• GM : 01.09.2024
« Reply #281 on: February 21, 2017, 04:31:09 PM »
No chance, there's a reason why he's 28 and spent his career in France and at the arse end of the Championship, he doesn't have the awareness to play at a higher level.

I agree with you there - there certainly doesn't appear to be any coaching that has improved him in his time with us.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #282 on: February 21, 2017, 04:37:31 PM »
One of the reasons he is 28 and has been around the lower sides is that he is training to graduate with an accountancy degree from the Sorbonne.  He is not your average booze, bling and birds young footballer.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #283 on: February 21, 2017, 04:44:54 PM »
He's a Watford player if ever i've seen one.

Offline WarszaVillan

• GM : 06.10.2023
« Reply #284 on: February 21, 2017, 04:51:58 PM »
I just don't understand two things. One, why get rid of 3 strikers in the transfer window and sign only one (leaving us with Gabby and kids as back up)? And two, why only sign a striker who's main trait is to feed off through balls when we don't play that way and what we needed was someone who could hold the ball up and bring our other forward players into the game (or even play with Hogan in a front two)? 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal