collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Chris Smith
[Today at 01:39:14 PM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Ads
[Today at 01:35:13 PM]

Gordon Cowans by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 01:27:21 PM]

Happy Easter everyone - Wolves at home by Legion
[Today at 01:17:36 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ducksworthy
[Today at 01:01:39 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by devilla
[Today at 01:00:58 PM]

Champions League Contention by AV82EC
[Today at 12:09:23 PM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Chris Smith
[Today at 01:39:14 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Ads
[Today at 01:35:13 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 01:31:43 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 01:27:21 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Nev
[Today at 01:18:45 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Ads
[Today at 01:17:42 PM]

Re: Happy Easter everyone - Wolves at home by Legion
[Today at 01:17:36 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by algy
[Today at 01:05:47 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Scott Hogan - retired  (Read 269939 times)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Re: Scott Hogan - on loan at Stoke
« Reply #1545 on: August 20, 2019, 07:53:47 AM »
Looking on the bright side the manager who dropped Hogan on us from a great height for a massively inflated price was Dean Smith.  The same sort of talent to get top dollar for our rejects will make a very welcome change from the Get Rid policy that bled us white

Unfortunately doesn’t seem to have worked this summer.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #1546 on: August 20, 2019, 08:15:49 AM »
I think this summer DS has been trying to make a silk purse out of the sow's ear he inherited from Bruce and his predecessors.  His astuteness will be more apparent, in my opinion, when he does not have so much dross on the books.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #1547 on: August 20, 2019, 08:53:39 AM »
I'm not sure the Brentford astuteness was down to Dean Smith.  They have a team looking at tranfers that heavily relies on stats to identify players.  I think this was there before Smith joined and is still in place now.  Unfortunately listening to a podcast from the Stasbomb team (who I think are involved with Brentford but I can't be 100% sure) they were not impressed by our summer transfer business.  That's not to say the players won't be a success, but from a stats basis they didn't stand out.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #1548 on: August 20, 2019, 10:53:16 AM »
Top players can be good in any system.  Not so good players can look good playing in one system but not another. Hogan is limited and is in the latter category .  Why Bruce ever bought him, I could never understand as he was never going to fit in.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #1549 on: August 20, 2019, 01:21:15 PM »
The point I hoped to make aligns with the views of Martin and Chris.  Dean Smith comes to us from a culture of shrewd player dealing.  Whether he is or was the driving force of the discipline of spending money wisely is a moot point.  Probably not.  But he is the beneficiary of immersion in that discipline and so are we if he brings good practice to Villa Park.  Right back to MON we have seen massive waste of money both on incoming and outgoing sales.  Player movements orchestrated by bombsquaddery and player antipathy towards the club.  I am confident that our dealings are now much more about who is being bought and sold than who is doing the buying and selling.

Offline Richie

« Reply #1550 on: August 20, 2019, 01:39:48 PM »
He’s been shite since he’s been here, and only has himself to blame if he “hasn’t enjoyed it a bit” at Villa...we wanted you to be good but the truth is that we haven’t enjoyed watching a minute of you being shite in a claret and blue shirt either Scott, but at least you’ve admitted you took your eye of the ball. My heart bleeds for you and the nice big wages you were receiving...I’m sure that helped ease the pain of not fitting in. Fuck off.

My thoughts exactly. He will never play for a club with such a high profile as Villa in the rest of his career, or earn anywhere near as much once his Villa contract is up. I was really hoping Dean Smith could get the best out of him considering the goals he was banging in under him at Brentford, but it soon became obvious it was never going to happen.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #1551 on: August 20, 2019, 04:49:06 PM »
Everybody conveniently forgetting that super goal he scored against Shewsbury in a tightly contested pre season friendly !!

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #1552 on: August 22, 2019, 12:21:28 PM »
I don't really understand the hatred for Hogan.

He was signed by a manager who didn't really understand what he was buying, beyond a set of goalscoring statistics, and who then proceeded to play him in a system which was completely different to the system he'd previously scored all those goals in.

He got disheartened with it and has now admitted that he took his foot off the accelerator as well.

At no point has he slagged the club off, or the fans, or anything else.  He's just admitted it didn't work out and has now moved on.

Why the animosity?

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1553 on: August 22, 2019, 12:40:33 PM »
I agree Ad@m

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #1554 on: August 22, 2019, 12:43:42 PM »
Dunno...cos for 33k a week and a nice promotion bonus he should be sucking our willys or something.

Offline sid1964

« Reply #1555 on: August 22, 2019, 12:51:05 PM »
Watched 1st half last night, and he looked very average at best, but Butland - looked like me in goal, he was dreadful

The Stoke team looked as though the cannot wait to get rid of their Manager, they were dreadful.

Online dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #1556 on: August 22, 2019, 12:54:19 PM »
I agree Ad@m

So do I.  I'll continue to watch his career, wherever it is, with interest.  I genuinely wish him well.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #1557 on: August 22, 2019, 01:00:12 PM »
I saw the game last night and thought it epitomised his time here - he moped about, hardly made any runs that could draw a pass and was non existent in the box.

He also looks such a miserable fucker that you think he really does not enjoy football at all - I think we maybe lumbered with him till his contract expires

Offline Damo70

« Reply #1558 on: August 22, 2019, 01:00:46 PM »
The point I hoped to make aligns with the views of Martin and Chris.  Dean Smith comes to us from a culture of shrewd player dealing.  Whether he is or was the driving force of the discipline of spending money wisely is a moot point.  Probably not.  But he is the beneficiary of immersion in that discipline and so are we if he brings good practice to Villa Park.  Right back to MON we have seen massive waste of money both on incoming and outgoing sales.  Player movements orchestrated by bombsquaddery and player antipathy towards the club.  I am confident that our dealings are now much more about who is being bought and sold than who is doing the buying and selling.

Dean Smith did a good job at Brentford as a head coach working alongside a director of football, which is the structure we have now at Villa with Purslow, Pitarch and Smith. It is a set up a million miles away from Bruce signing or attempting to sign whoever was Championship player of the month the previous month.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #1559 on: August 22, 2019, 01:03:12 PM »
I saw the game last night and thought it epitomised his time here - he moped about, hardly made any runs that could draw a pass and was non existent in the box.

He also looks such a miserable fucker that you think he really does not enjoy football at all - I think we maybe lumbered with him till his contract expires

He looks like a poor player in what despite looking decent on paper is a poor Stoke side with very little spirit at the moment. But to be fair he looked decent in a successful Sheffield United side last season.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal