collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: fan forum  (Read 8405 times)

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
fan forum
« on: January 25, 2017, 01:32:22 PM »
Was no one from here at the fan forum meeting with SB the other day?

Would rather read about it from our own sources that the up his own arse MOMS or the even more self important HH on twitter.

Offline Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
Re: fan forum
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 01:51:30 PM »
They were, but there are certain things they were asked not to reveal until the signings had been announced. So short of just saying "I went to this thing and can't really talk about it" they thought there wasn't much to say just yet.

A report will be put up pretty soon I'd expect.

Offline BOB MANSFIELD

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2017, 01:53:26 PM »
They were, but there are certain things they were asked not to reveal until the signings had been announced. So short of just saying "I went to this thing and can't really talk about it" they thought there wasn't much to say just yet.

A report will be put up pretty soon I'd expect.

My God, I am so proud of the honest bunch we have at our helm. Good on ya's all.

Offline amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2017, 02:08:51 PM »
Hi!

I was there but have a ridiculously busy day at work today due to not being there for quite a bit of yesterday. I won't be in til about 9pm now - and I need to think about what I am going to write! I will try and write something later though!

It was a really good meeting. steve Bruce is warm, funny, outrageously honest at times (which is why I need to think about what should be out here and what shouldn't a bit more) - but you can also tell he can be really tough too.

I'll catch you later.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2017, 02:10:02 PM »
Thanks Amfy, was hoping you were there.  much prefer your reports of these meetings.

Offline BOB MANSFIELD

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2017, 02:10:55 PM »
Can't wait, personally.
I am sure whatever you can tell us will nicely round-off what has come to light during today, so far.

Offline Comrade Blitz

• GM : 25.05.2019
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2017, 06:37:25 PM »
Who are MOMS and HH?

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2017, 06:43:38 PM »
My Old Man Said is a website and HH would be Howard Hodgson.

Offline Comrade Blitz

• GM : 25.05.2019
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2017, 06:44:18 PM »
Thank you!

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2017, 06:46:56 PM »
Thank you!

My pleasure. Or maybe that should be MP!

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2017, 04:51:43 AM »
Was no one from here at the fan forum meeting with SB the other day?

Would rather read about it from our own sources that the up his own arse MOMS or the even more self important HH on twitter.

I agree, Chris. MOMS are dreadful. A Facebook page full of snide comments.

Looking forward to hearing about what Bruce had to say from people on here, also.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 06:39:11 AM by Axl Rose »

Offline amfy

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2017, 11:22:11 AM »
Hi!

Well - hoping not to break any confidences as it is always hard to tell what is supposed to be out there and what isn't when they are not specific - and the one thing that was specific was - don't tell anyone who we are signing before they do!

Well I guess Steve Bruce himself is pretty much as you have all already seen him. He was really engaging and the time with him really flew by. He was keen to include everyone in the conversation which was really nice as at previous events of this type there has been a tendency for certain members to dominate. No doubt he is as inclusive with his players.

He does still feel there is a lot of work to do here and feels it will take a couple more windows to get the team we want. That doesn't mean we are ruling out getting back up this year - he wants us back there as quickly as possible, and would be delighted to be finishing the job of re-building the team whilst in 'the big league'. There is no fear of 'going up too soon' & he believes we can string a run together that puts us in amongst it.

He talked in great detail about what he felt we were missing, what we needed, and how he was addressing this - I.e. Specific qualities of the players he is bringing in. He doesn't feel we have had the right personnel to play in the way this league requires, but was very clear about how this is now being built in.

There was significant synergy between his account and our meeting with Steve Round which was good to observe.

He hasn't been able to set us up how he wants, and he knows it hasn't been pretty, but his first job, with the players we have had, has been to instill resilience, and he is hoping even these first signings will give us better shape and make us more exciting.

With regard to Gabby, he was very clear about how he had won his chance The detail of how it had come about made it clear that this was a justifiable decision. The player's own commitment at this stage, doesn't make up for what went before in his eyes either, but actually is impressive. Like we have said on here - Gabs has done nothing wrong (and as it turns out a hell of a lot right) on his watch.

With regard to gate gate, Bruce was able to re-assure us that the player's emotional health was a consideration, and is not been overlooked as a potential issue.

We got to shake James Bree's hand and have 5minutes chat with him, as he was the one who was 100% whist we were there. He seemed incredibly excited to be here which was nice, and he made me feel incredibly old as I felt like I needed to look after him on his first time away from Yorkshire - but that probably wouldn't go well!

We were told about BB and the other who still can't be named, and they were both in the building but still not totally over the line at that stage. We were all googling BB who looks very exciting & by the time we left it was pretty clear that someone in that meeting had probably leaked it against instructions. He was very clear how all of them fit into our proposed shape.

We did talk about loads of different stuff, right down to 'Why don't we leave someone up when we're defending a corner?' And even that made sense! I am not a great tactician - I love to watch the ebb and flow of a game but I don't really have a great grasp of formations and that kind of stuff - but the way he talked it brought it to life for me. I think he does make everything make sense - and that is probably what the players get too.

Hope this is helpful enough for people to feel they have had feedback, but not so much that I get banned from attending future meetings!

Overall - very impressive! Again - you will see elsewhere on social media that far more cynical souls than me were impressed too.

Offline ClaretAndBlueBlood

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2017, 11:29:58 AM »
that all sounds very positive Amfy, thanks for the feedback. I admit I am a Gabby hater but the important thing is, if Bruce wants him, then he should get him and then live or die by his decision

Offline achilles

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2017, 11:39:01 AM »
I would love to know why we don't leave anybody up when defending a corner, if that is possible to say, as I am always going on about it?

Offline amfy

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2017, 11:46:44 AM »
I'm not sure if I can say - I'm pretty sure iwhat he said is not an individual stroke of genius from Bruce that no-one else knows about, but what if it is?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal