collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Birkir Bjarnason - Released  (Read 135939 times)

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
Re: Birkir Bjarnason - SIGNED
« Reply #675 on: June 17, 2018, 12:42:15 AM »
His performance today in a way reminded of the display Carlos Santos put in for Columbia against Messi. Everyone was raving about it. Then he comes back to us and either he was just magnificent that night or as probably was the case we never used him in his position. Santos was a good, not great player that we should have got more out of. I hope we don't make the same mistake with BB because as a defensive midfield player he looked more than solid for us at Championship level last season.

Excellent point. I loved Carlos. Just another that was bought without a thought to how he was going to be used or played to his strengths. May as well have bought Messi as our 6th right back choice. Not physical enough.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #676 on: June 17, 2018, 01:36:01 AM »
His strengths must have been under nines football as the bloke couldn't last an hour.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #677 on: June 17, 2018, 02:05:51 AM »
Is he at Fiorentina with Veretout these days? He did have fitness issues but there was a player there. Did he leave just before the relegation season?

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #678 on: June 17, 2018, 02:30:45 AM »
His strengths must have been under nines football as the bloke couldn't last an hour.

Yeah, typical donkey Villa management, ask a player to be the opposite of what his strengths are.
When will we learn?

While we're at it, is it only England players that deserve a rest? Carlos played every summer in international competitions but was treated like a mule. And then fans wondered why he disappeared after 60 minutes.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 02:36:03 AM by Rudy Can't Fail »

Offline passitsideways

« Reply #679 on: June 17, 2018, 05:51:26 AM »
Is he at Fiorentina with Veretout these days? He did have fitness issues but there was a player there. Did he leave just before the relegation season?

We loaned him out after we got relegated and the move was made permanent last summer. Got loaned out to La Liga at some point last season, I think.

Thing is, we effectively replaced him with Jedinak, who has similar strengths and weaknesses (crap passer, but shields the back 4 well and wins everything in the air), except we paid 4 million for that privilege. Unless he was really, really keen to leave, just one out of a series of pretty unnecessary transfer decisions.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #680 on: June 17, 2018, 06:43:30 AM »
Wondered who you were unabout before realising you were talking about Carlos Sanchez.

Offline Ads

« Reply #681 on: June 17, 2018, 07:35:05 AM »

We loaned him out after we got relegated and the move was made permanent last summer. Got loaned out to La Liga at some point last season, I think.

Thing is, we effectively replaced him with Jedinak, who has similar strengths and weaknesses (crap passer, but shields the back 4 well and wins everything in the air), except we paid 4 million for that privilege. Unless he was really, really keen to leave, just one out of a series of pretty unnecessary transfer decisions.

Jedinak can at least last 90 minutes, so you'd expect him to cost at least a 3rd more than Sanchez.

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #682 on: June 17, 2018, 08:11:46 AM »
It fucking grieved me, our use of Sanchez. I'd been a big admirer, I've always loved his kind of player, and thought his arrival was signalling a new dawn of uptempo direct football. Instead he got to play behind the most confused static forward line the world has ever witnessed.

Yeah, well done there.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #683 on: June 17, 2018, 08:50:14 AM »
Some players just aren’t suited to the Premier League. Sanchez was one of them.

Offline Ads

« Reply #684 on: June 17, 2018, 08:52:01 AM »
Some players just aren’t suited to the Premier League. Sanchez was one of them.

Aye. The problem was him, not us.

Offline Lastfootstamper

« Reply #685 on: June 17, 2018, 09:02:39 AM »
Sid would've struggled to pick a forward pass from behind those twonks.

Offline The Edge

« Reply #686 on: June 17, 2018, 09:30:52 AM »
If someone offered 10 for Hourihane based on his goal return I'd snap their hands off.

10? Fuck yes

We bought him for so little it would make a massive dent in our FFP problem. Plus he's not actually that good, albeit his habit of scoring is very handy
A tenner? Hourihane is worth more than that surely. Barney would of done a good job for us in the final. He would of covered every blade of grass. That's not hindsight speaking either many posters on here and elsewhere made the point.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #687 on: June 17, 2018, 09:43:42 AM »
If someone offered 10 for Hourihane based on his goal return I'd snap their hands off.

10? Fuck yes

We bought him for so little it would make a massive dent in our FFP problem. Plus he's not actually that good, albeit his habit of scoring is very handy
A tenner? Hourihane is worth more than that surely. Barney would of done a good job for us in the final. He would of covered every blade of grass. That's not hindsight speaking either many posters on here and elsewhere made the point.

if Hourihane was given away free we would struggle to get him gone
how many other championship clubs are going to pay or could afford to pay 30k a week wages for a bang average championship midfielder

so yes the 10 whether it’s million pounds or pence is to much

Offline shipscat

• I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders
« Reply #688 on: June 17, 2018, 10:33:10 AM »
Brighton were very interested in Hourihane in the last transfer window.

Can't imagine we'll have too many issues selling him for 4/5 million in this window.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #689 on: June 17, 2018, 11:08:20 AM »
His performance today in a way reminded of the display Carlos Santos put in for Columbia against Messi. Everyone was raving about it. Then he comes back to us and either he was just magnificent that night or as probably was the case we never used him in his position. Santos was a good, not great player that we should have got more out of. I hope we don't make the same mistake with BB because as a defensive midfield player he looked more than solid for us at Championship level last season.

Sanchez you mean?

I was thinking of him earlier. All those players we signed who barely got a look in and then got moved out on loan for the rest of their contracts.

Sanchez was o.k in a few games in his defined defensive role.

Weirdly because he was South American people seemed to have this odd idea he was going to be this attacking playmaker who'd dribbled past 4 players and hit one into the top corner from 30 yards.

He's done fine since he left us and will be starting for Colombia again on Tuesday.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal