collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Unai Emery - our manager by Mister E
[Today at 01:29:15 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by rob_bridge
[Today at 01:28:47 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by Meanwood Villa
[Today at 01:28:12 PM]

New Shirt Sponsor by Risso
[Today at 01:25:44 PM]

John McGinn - signed (Captain) by usav
[Today at 01:25:15 PM]

NSWE Investment by Somniloquism
[Today at 01:22:44 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Mister E
[Today at 01:19:00 PM]

Ollie Watkins by LeeB
[Today at 01:10:23 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Conor Hourihane - thanks and farewell  (Read 302603 times)

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
Re: Conor Hourihane - SIGNED
« Reply #1320 on: March 18, 2019, 10:55:28 PM »
Grealish is pivotal to our midfield and gets the best out of Whelan, Hourihane and McGinn. The latter 3 know they are playing for 2 places, as Deano likes to play with 2 wide men. That can only be good for Villa because each knows they have to step up if they want to be part of the starting 11. At different points from Stoke away onwards, all three have missed games and have responded with great performances to ensure Deano keeps picking them. At this stage of the season with the playoffs back on again the whole of the midfield is to be applauded for their efforts (no exceptions). So to Conor, Glenn and John...keep up the good work and to captain Jack, keep masterminding the team to wins. UTV!

Offline KRS

« Reply #1321 on: March 18, 2019, 11:48:38 PM »
I'd go as far to say that it's 2 players fighting for 1 place (Hourihane and Whelan). They both have their strengths and weaknesses so there is absolutely nothing wrong with rotating them depending on the opposition or how a game is going. As someone mentioned on the Whelan thread, he was great against Boro because they sat so deep and weren't running at us so he had time and space to do his job, however he may not necessarily be so effective against Leeds, Norwich or Sheff Utd. I don't think he has the legs for 2 games per week, so utilising and rotating Hourihane and Whelan makes perfect sense to me.

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #1322 on: March 19, 2019, 12:08:48 AM »
Anyone watched the extended highlights on Youtube yet? What's with the commentator pronouncing Hourihane as Houri-HAINE ( sounds like rain ). Is that how it should be pronounced?

"How- ra- hun"

Oh how he doesn't run hun

Online andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #1323 on: April 30, 2019, 08:41:53 PM »
Well.
I have been a big critic of Hourihane over the last few months and have found him very frustrating at times.
But, the way he stood up on Sunday and showed his passion, fight and desire, he has shot up in my estimation.
He plays too many backwards passes sometimes, but I’m now going to be blind to that because there is no doubt the bloke cares, and you can’t ask for more than that.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 10:08:47 PM by andyh »

Offline KRS

« Reply #1324 on: April 30, 2019, 08:44:10 PM »
The passion, fight, desire and team ethic is running through the squad. Conor is just one of many that have bought into it, and I'm absolutely delighted to be able to eat humble pie. Keep up the good work! :)

Offline XXVilla

« Reply #1325 on: April 30, 2019, 09:25:49 PM »
Well Dean did say they were squaring up to each other in training...

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #1326 on: April 30, 2019, 10:49:52 PM »
Well Dean did say they were squaring up to each other in training...

I bet they've been laughing and pissing about in training by diving like a Bamford all week. 

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #1327 on: May 01, 2019, 01:12:42 AM »
He's a lucky boy is our Conor. If he got a ban we couldn't really have complained. Still good for us and fuck Leeds.

Offline Singapore Villa

• GM : 09.06.2019
« Reply #1328 on: May 01, 2019, 06:00:20 AM »
Conor is a lucky boy!

Onwards and upwards.

UTV.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #1329 on: May 04, 2019, 06:26:12 AM »
Very very lucky. I can't fathom how they reached that view

I'd still pick whelan ahead of him other than when whelan needs resting. He gives us more presence and allows Jack and mcginn to play higher up the pitch.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #1330 on: May 04, 2019, 08:17:22 AM »
Very very lucky. I can't fathom how they reached that view

I'd still pick whelan ahead of him other than when whelan needs resting. He gives us more presence and allows Jack and mcginn to play higher up the pitch.

Whelan for me as well.

I guess that Conor escaped further punishment because he was booked in the melee and I don't think that the EFL can override the ref's decision.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1331 on: May 04, 2019, 09:35:02 AM »
I like Hourihane but it's Whelan for me in the play off games as well. Hourihane has played the deeper role when he's been in the side though which may not suit him as much but he's done ok.

Offline Tom Stewart

« Reply #1332 on: May 04, 2019, 10:28:41 AM »
Is it just me who doesn't see a punch? He puts an open hand on his chest then grabs a fistful of his shirt, admittedly in an aggressive manner, but the total lack of reaction from the Leeds player suggests there wasn't much force behind it.

Agree that Whelan is currently ahead of him in the pecking order. His quick, one-touch passing game is better IMO, as is his tactical knowledge of the DM position, and also his bravery to get on the ball as much as possible. I really like that about Glenn.

I expect to see Conor play a part at some point, though. Whelan probably doesn't have the legs for 180 minutes of intense football in 4 days. Plus, we do miss his set-pieces when he isn't in the side. Don't carry anywhere near the same threat from deadballs.

Offline villan from luton

« Reply #1333 on: May 04, 2019, 10:42:15 PM »
It was not a punch, Leeds fans just tried to make a big deal of it. To be fair the tosser deserved a whack, as did Roberts even more. I think Hourihane has done a good job this season, but Glenn is the better defensive midfielder but he will have a big part to play

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #1334 on: May 04, 2019, 10:44:25 PM »
Whelan will play first leg for sure, have to see if he can manage the quick turnaround.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal