collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Conor Hourihane - thanks and farewell  (Read 299840 times)

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
Re: Conor Hourihane - SIGNED
« Reply #1140 on: January 20, 2019, 01:37:59 PM »
Eamonn, I think I highlighted a weakness in my last post, he's not a dm. It's very difficult to pinpoint the failings of a team of 11 players down to one individual. Without his assist yesterday we'd have lost that game! There are other games where his goals and assists have gained us results. He is contributing and certainly more so than the likes of barny and bolasie.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1141 on: January 20, 2019, 01:45:03 PM »
He goes missing in games a bit too often but I'd say 4 goals and 7 assists this season (including yesterday) is not too bad a contribution.
If assists and goals were his only responsibility to the team then those stats are no where near good enough.

He's also chipped in with goals in previous seasons. He's not perfect but he's far from one of the worst.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #1142 on: January 20, 2019, 01:52:32 PM »
He does have one or two redeeming features while several others on the starting team sheet have none.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #1143 on: January 20, 2019, 04:44:22 PM »
Indeed. One thing really annoyed me watching him yesterday was his unwillingness to receive the ball, whether it be from throw-ins or when the defence bring the ball out, he never looks to make himself available. He has a talent of finding an opposition player to hide behind.

Online Nii Lamptey

« Reply #1144 on: January 20, 2019, 05:33:35 PM »
I've been saying this for the last couple of seasons - Hourihane is a liability, especially in our current plight.

Until we have a defence that can defend, and a decent defensive midfielder that can mop up the scraps, we need our midfielders to mark/block/tackle to help take some of the pressure off the backline. Hourihane does NOTHING in this regard, his work ethic is abysmal. It's all very well highlighting his goals and assists, but what the stats DON'T tell us is how many opposition players he's left unmarked or players that have ghosted past him and gone on to assist or score goals against us.

IMO, all that he's going to succeed in doing is 'breaking' McGinn, as that poor bloke is having to run around the pitch for 2-3 players every game.   }:[

Flatters to deceive.

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #1145 on: January 20, 2019, 05:37:39 PM »
As I said before my overriding image of Hourihane is him lying sprawled on the floor, arms wide open staring at the ref, pleading for a non existent free kick.

I think it was about 8 minutes into yesterday’s when he did it again.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1146 on: January 20, 2019, 08:56:28 PM »
Indeed. One thing really annoyed me watching him yesterday was his unwillingness to receive the ball, whether it be from throw-ins or when the defence bring the ball out, he never looks to make himself available. He has a talent of finding an opposition player to hide behind.

I'd take it a bit further that, he generally isn't interested in pkaying in his own half. He's a very different player once we get to their box.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #1147 on: January 20, 2019, 09:00:35 PM »
He’s useful as an impact player if we need a goal. He’s not a midfielder who can do the defensive side of the game.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #1148 on: January 20, 2019, 09:02:12 PM »

I'd take it a bit further that, he generally isn't interested in pkaying in his own half. He's a very different player once we get to their box.

Totally. Over the last month I seen Whelan in more advanced positions. What that was about I have no idea. Right now I'd appreciate a bit of positional discipline where everybody knows their role. It's all very freestyle and just like the jazz version, it stinks!

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1149 on: January 20, 2019, 09:36:26 PM »
I've been saying this for the last couple of seasons - Hourihane is a liability, especially in our current plight.

Until we have a defence that can defend, and a decent defensive midfielder that can mop up the scraps, we need our midfielders to mark/block/tackle to help take some of the pressure off the backline. Hourihane does NOTHING in this regard, his work ethic is abysmal. It's all very well highlighting his goals and assists, but what the stats DON'T tell us is how many opposition players he's left unmarked or players that have ghosted past him and gone on to assist or score goals against us.

IMO, all that he's going to succeed in doing is 'breaking' McGinn, as that poor bloke is having to run around the pitch for 2-3 players every game.   }:[

Flatters to deceive.

I used to think broadly similar things about Frank Lampard as a player (I'm not suggesting that CH is in the same class). Whenever I verbalised this opinion I was met with incredulity. I don't know what point I'm making but at least I've had my say now.

Online VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #1150 on: January 20, 2019, 09:51:07 PM »

Flatters to deceive.

I used to think broadly similar things about Frank Lampard as a player (I'm not suggesting that CH is in the same class). Whenever I verbalised this opinion I was met with incredulity. I don't know what point I'm making but at least I've had my say now.

I can see the similarity in style , but he doesn't have the strength or power as Fat Frank

Offline achilles

« Reply #1151 on: January 20, 2019, 11:31:28 PM »
I wish he would stop taking these quick free kicks, where all he does is pass it sideways or backwards five yards at best.
Take a bit of time over them and pass forward, not rocket science!

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1152 on: January 21, 2019, 12:50:18 AM »

Flatters to deceive.

I can see the similarity in style , but he doesn't have the strength or power as Fat Frank

More importantly Lampard scored about 1 in 3 over his career, making him as productive as almost any 2nd striker around and he played most of his career in teams that were built to have a shielding midfielder and a deep playmaker behind him so he could press defenders high up up the pitch and not have to get into his own box all that often. If Hourihane was the cover for Grealish and got into the box more consistently then he'd be a decent squad player but as is the midfield just isn't setup for someone who offers so little in his own half.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #1153 on: January 21, 2019, 01:31:40 AM »

Totally. Over the last month I seen Whelan in more advanced positions. What that was about I have no idea. Right now I'd appreciate a bit of positional discipline where everybody knows their role. It's all very freestyle and just like the jazz version, it stinks!

No half decent jazz outfit starts with the riffing in the absence of a solid rhythm section groove.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 01:46:26 AM by adrenachrome »

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #1154 on: January 21, 2019, 10:00:37 PM »
He’s useful as an impact player if we need a goal. He’s not a midfielder who can do the defensive side of the game.

Yes if he didn't score goals he would be an avearge player with a left foot.

Really struggles at this level in many respects.
Unable to impose himself, can't dominate anything and severely lacking in pace.

He's at an age now where he's peaked and I don't see him getting much better.
He'd be totally and utterly lost in premier league and that's with the quality going down.

Suited to Scottish football of rangers  or Celtic and excell against limited opposition.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal