collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by OCD
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Nev
[Today at 07:38:29 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Ian.
[Today at 07:37:07 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 07:36:44 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by OCD
[Today at 07:32:48 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Paul.S
[Today at 07:27:19 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by VillaTim
[Today at 07:23:43 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Conor Hourihane - thanks and farewell  (Read 299862 times)

Offline Matt Collins

Re: Conor Hourihane - SIGNED
« Reply #1050 on: December 07, 2018, 06:15:18 AM »
I agree Phillips running past hourihane, and Harvey Barnes cutting in and getting straight onto our back four, seem the main risks

West Brom should have been four up at half time. They just didn't finish their chances

I don't think the midfield problem was all hourihane. Grealish and mcginn were pushed right up, and it didn't help that our defence kept giving the ball away when we were pushed up the pitch

But I agree Boro away didn't test us in the same way. I'm hoping they've been focusing on how we condense the space much better

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #1051 on: December 07, 2018, 06:57:51 AM »
They weren't given the chance because of our wingers on and off the ball.

Offline Colhint

• GM : 02.12.2016
« Reply #1052 on: December 07, 2018, 05:02:40 PM »
I feel a bit sorry for Conor, he's hit some cracking free kicks, but the way things are going he won't make the top 10 for goal of the season for us.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #1053 on: December 07, 2018, 06:02:39 PM »
I feel a bit sorry for Conor, he's hit some cracking free kicks, but the way things are going he won't make the top 10 for goal of the season for us.

He'll struggle to make the top 100 at this rate.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #1054 on: December 07, 2018, 06:35:52 PM »
They weren't given the chance because of our wingers on and off the ball.

Their midfielders just didn't have the creativity or fluidity that lolley and carvalho had

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #1055 on: December 09, 2018, 07:04:46 AM »
That threat didn't really happen

He's really growing in me in that deep role.

If jack is injured it will be interesting to see what Smith does. The obvious option is to move hourihane forwards and play Whelan deep. But hourihane doesn't offer anything like what jack offers. I wouldn't say he was great v WBA but if you watch the highlights jack is involved in so much of what we do going forwards with his running and passing ability

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #1056 on: December 09, 2018, 05:34:54 PM »

If jack is injured it will be interesting to see what Smith does. The obvious option is to move hourihane forwards and play Whelan deep. But hourihane doesn't offer anything like what jack offers. I wouldn't say he was great v WBA but if you watch the highlights jack is involved in so much of what we do going forwards with his running and passing ability
The obvious option to me would be to play a like-for-like replacement - O'Hare. May not happen, of course, because he has had such little gametime, but he's the obvious replacement.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #1057 on: December 09, 2018, 07:07:57 PM »
That threat didn't really happen

He's really growing in me in that deep role.

My concern with him has always been how he seems to drift out of the game for such long periods, almost to the point that you forget he is playing at times.  I think the defensive midfielder has to be constantly involved in the game, whether it be breaking play up in the defensive areas or dictating play when in possession.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #1058 on: December 09, 2018, 07:15:17 PM »
He is no where good enough in the defensive midfield role, he can’t tackle, does not close down space and is not involved enough.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #1059 on: December 09, 2018, 07:29:05 PM »
Past two games he's played well.

Albion got joy out of a long ball and managed to get 1 on 1 with our full backs a couple of times, but nothing came through the middle. Fair play to for picking it up post Forest.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #1060 on: December 09, 2018, 08:47:36 PM »
He lacks pace and physicality to play the DCM role over the course of a season.  in my opinion, if we want to get promoted this season, we need an upgrade on Hourihane.  Good player though he is, I personally don't think that his role is a DCM.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #1061 on: December 09, 2018, 11:59:46 PM »
He is no where good enough in the defensive midfield role, he can’t tackle, does not close down space and is not involved enough.

I think he made About 90 passes in one of them

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #1062 on: December 10, 2018, 12:00:56 AM »

The obvious option to me would be to play a like-for-like replacement - O'Hare. May not happen, of course, because he has had such little gametime, but he's the obvious replacement.

I see O'Hare as a number 10 or striker

Not sure I've ever seen him play in the sort of 8 position grealish and mcginn are playing in?

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #1063 on: December 10, 2018, 12:06:59 AM »

I see O'Hare as a number 10 or striker

Not sure I've ever seen him play in the sort of 8 position grealish and mcginn are playing in?

Agree Matt and I have seen him play wide as well.  As Jack Grealish found, the obvious problem with being a 'number 10' is that you have got to be at a club that plays that kind of system.  If you are not, then you aren't really going to get many chances.  Grealish has now become a midfielder who could play 'number 10' if needed and it has kick started his career.  I have wondered whether O'Hare needs to make a similar move to have more chance of getting into the side.

I really like what I have seen of him so far though. 

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #1064 on: December 10, 2018, 12:42:48 AM »
Gary Gardner could play the role we want Hourihane to fulfil, no?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal