collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by Chico Hamilton III
[Today at 09:24:14 AM]

FFP by Chico Hamilton III
[Today at 09:14:08 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by dicedlam
[Today at 09:14:03 AM]

Gordon Cowans by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 08:56:31 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Conor Hourihane - thanks and farewell  (Read 299990 times)

Offline RussellC

• GM : 04.04.2016
Re: Conor Hourihane - SIGNED
« Reply #1020 on: August 15, 2018, 08:41:02 AM »
Last night summed Hourihane up perfectly. Very poor first half - sloppy in possession, late into the tackle (correctly booked), fairly anonymous second-half but then popped-up with the winning goal.

For all of his faults he consistently produces and makes big contributions. To be completely fair to him, he was the match-winner both on Saturday and last night.

With McGinn coming-in I expect Hourihane to become more of a 'squad player' this season, but I also think that he gives us great option to come-off the bench, and play in cup games.  As others have said, I don't see him as being able to play as a holding midfielder or out-wide, and he doesn't carry the ball well enough to be a direct understudy to either Grealish or McGinn.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 08:52:41 AM by RussellC »

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #1021 on: August 15, 2018, 08:49:31 AM »
Great way of putting his contribution. And how he may turn out as squad player. Makes total sense that happening .

One challenge though ! To be completely fair to villa squad

Bjarnasson was match winner v wigan as he scored the winning goal.
We can have Conor assisted with an excellent cross but Bjarnasson was the match winner .
Otherwise JK was the match winner yesterday with his skillz and cross.

Let's see it right shall we Russel!

And he does for all his faults get assists as well as great  goals and number of goals ! So we all love him for that !

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #1022 on: September 07, 2018, 06:22:08 PM »
Apparently played and started  for Ireland last night .
I say that having watched he was pretty annoyomous or was giving ball away. Really garbage and so ineffective when he was subbed so low key wasn't even shown by sky sports him being hauled off

Of course his replacement scored showing this guy up even more

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #1023 on: September 11, 2018, 07:54:54 PM »
There's no way he's international class

Butat the  moment there's an argument we could do with his goal threat

Offline Mossie Hennebry

« Reply #1024 on: September 11, 2018, 09:19:30 PM »
Con is on 73'. Southern Ireland leading the Poland 0-1. Chip in with a goal lad!

Offline Duncan Shaw

« Reply #1025 on: September 17, 2018, 12:11:42 PM »
Well proved his value again - he scores goals, to me he is very important to us.

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #1026 on: September 17, 2018, 12:14:29 PM »
Well proved his value again - he scores goals, to me he is very important to us.

I agree, but as a midfielder he must do a lot more. We shouldn't be even looking at him to score vital goals with the other attacking options we have. I like Conor, but he goes missing for HUGE chunks of games. He's got to do more and be more visible on the pitch to warrant starts for me.

For example, you know McGinn is on the pitch, whether he's playing well or not he's there, he's not hiding or invisible.

Offline Richard

• GM : 08.06.2024
« Reply #1027 on: September 17, 2018, 12:15:26 PM »
I'd start him tomorrow no need for Jedi

Online aj2k77

« Reply #1028 on: September 17, 2018, 12:21:29 PM »
There's no need for Jedinak in any game in this division, not when you play 2 wide players who are asked to focus on defensive duties as well and only 1 striker.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #1029 on: September 17, 2018, 12:37:34 PM »

I agree, but as a midfielder he must do a lot more. We shouldn't be even looking at him to score vital goals with the other attacking options we have. I like Conor, but he goes missing for HUGE chunks of games. He's got to do more and be more visible on the pitch to warrant starts for me.

For example, you know McGinn is on the pitch, whether he's playing well or not he's there, he's not hiding or invisible.

Agree and he seems to make more of an impact coming off the bench in games.  That said, I thought him and McGinn looked OK when they were paired together in the latter stages of the game at the weekend. 

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #1030 on: September 21, 2018, 05:06:42 PM »
Anyone know or recall Houirhane position and villa formation when he scored his hat trick at home v Norwich last season?

Bruce spoke of him in his new position with Mcginn in midfield that Connor has been knocking on his door every 2 days .

Does tomorrow see him fall back again and be annoyomous outplayed by Bannan or does he step up with Mcginn

I guess Bruce will play team that played v Rotherham.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #1031 on: September 22, 2018, 06:58:07 AM »
Norwich was the first time we played 4141.

But I still think his position is deeper as part of a two (not the single DM tho). He can still be a goal threat, but you're not relying on him being a play maker. He's not that kind of player in my view. He's not good enough in tight situations

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #1032 on: October 03, 2018, 10:50:09 AM »
The way he gives ball away with his passing yesterday is opposite with some of his strikes . Wildy inaccurate and lofty balls over the top to front players at 10 which never reached the front .

Doesn't drive with the ball and his tendency to pass back and be annoymous in matches is very puzzling and annoying .

He also should have been taken off a lot sooner as he struggles far more than mcginn to close down and tackle appropriately.
Though mcginn was the one who did the careless foul for the free kick which Gallagher scored from.
Whelan could have been the screen in front of back four and kodjia wide with Abrahams left up front

I actually think he decent player to some degree with a super shot and assist play realtively well mainly from dead ball.

Too often he struggles to make an impact over the 90
He's not alone and I feel Bruce has partly stagnated the guys play and partly the player isn't top level so doesn't have the authority and dynamism on a consistent basis.

That said he sure strikes a great shot and similar to Grealish and maybe other players he's struggling on how Bruce wants him to play and fit into system.

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #1033 on: October 04, 2018, 09:08:47 PM »
Called up to the Ireland squad v Denmark and Wales

Offline kieron

« Reply #1034 on: October 04, 2018, 09:45:20 PM »
Ok

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal