collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Astnor
[Today at 02:28:48 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 02:25:34 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Dave
[Today at 02:21:56 PM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 02:20:52 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Chris Smith
[Today at 02:15:26 PM]

Re: FFP by rob_bridge
[Today at 02:01:05 PM]

Re: FFP by Risso
[Today at 02:00:06 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 01:59:07 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Conor Hourihane - thanks and farewell  (Read 299828 times)

Offline Matt Collins

Re: Conor Hourihane - SIGNED
« Reply #1005 on: August 12, 2018, 09:26:06 AM »
Yep that's the conundrum w hourihane

But would he have got in the Fulham or wolves side last year? No way

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #1006 on: August 12, 2018, 09:58:06 AM »
I think there is even less protection with 3-5-2 and the holding player in that role needs to be more Jedinak than Whelan.  Hopefully, someone signed on loan who is even better!  Hourihane dipping in and out of the side, if we are evidencing moving the team forward, is exactly the right thing.  Then he comes on and does what he did yesterday.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 10:00:12 AM by Newby »

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #1007 on: August 12, 2018, 10:31:28 AM »
I’ve said it before but if you watch him in a game, every time we win the ball his job is not to show to receive but to make a run to take players away from JG. Hence people think he’s not involved.

If there’s no CH, Albert and Snodgrass starting regularly this season that’s a huge drop in goals and assists we need to make up.

Offline passitsideways

« Reply #1008 on: August 12, 2018, 10:32:38 AM »
Yep that's the conundrum w hourihane

But would he have got in the Fulham or wolves side last year? No way

I don't think any of the midfielders in those teams besides Neves and Cairney were all that, the difference is they both played systems which ensured that they had the ball a lot, instead of having to go out of their way to try and impose themselves on the game.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #1009 on: August 12, 2018, 10:57:47 AM »
Take away one or two special moments and not a lot is left to remember.  He will struggle to get back in permantly and certainly in the starting 11 which is not a bad  thing  for the team as it shows we are progressing.

Offline Richard

• GM : 08.06.2024
« Reply #1010 on: August 12, 2018, 11:12:25 AM »
I don't see why Hourihane Grealish and McGinn can't play in a 3 just ahead of a more defensive midfielder 

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #1011 on: August 12, 2018, 11:42:55 AM »
I don't see why Hourihane Grealish and McGinn can't play in a 3 just ahead of a more defensive midfielder 

They could but there wouldn't be much width unless we pay 5-4-1 with very attacking wing backs.   Also would require a centre forward who can get >20 goals on his own (and those 3 pitching in with their fair share). 

Offline Keeno

• Twitter
« Reply #1012 on: August 12, 2018, 12:16:08 PM »

They could but there wouldn't be much width unless we pay 5-4-1 with very attacking wing backs.   Also would require a centre forward who can get >20 goals on his own (and those 3 pitching in with their fair share). 

Either that, or a diamond in midfield with BB at the base, McGinn and Hourihane shuttling either side and Grealish at the 10 behind a front two (Kodjia and Adomah perhaps). As you say, you'd need good fullbacks with lots of energy - could RDM and Hutton do it?

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #1013 on: August 12, 2018, 07:12:11 PM »

Well they could do in a diamond although one would have to play on the right

Or if grealish was wide but I don't see why you'd do that

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #1014 on: August 12, 2018, 07:36:50 PM »
I think playing those 3 in front of a DM would be fine if we had a striker with really good hold-up play. They could then all bomb forward when once the ball has been played (hoofed) up to the striker and allow him to feed one of those 3. That certainly wouldn't play to Hogan's strengths and I'm not sure it does to Kodija either. Davis and possibly RHM, from the little I've seen of him, could do that though. I think Bruce will switch to 3-5-2 at some point though and try to get Kodija and Hogan working together with 2 of those 3 midfielders in front of someone sitting in front of the back.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #1015 on: August 12, 2018, 08:21:01 PM »
The way I see it, McGinn arriving has now really upped the competition for midfield places, so the onus is on Hourihane to step up.  Good competition is healthy for us. 

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #1016 on: August 14, 2018, 04:20:21 PM »
Agreed. Hourihane could be very useful for us coming off the bench, as he proved on Saturday.

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #1017 on: August 15, 2018, 07:50:43 AM »
Predictably weak first half when he did get involved and gave some sloppy passes . One time he was so bad at passing he got a yellow card for pulling guy back .Bruce would have noted that I think and his usual lack of responsibility in taking the ball and getting involved.

Of course he got his goal which is his main use and wouldn't be near team if he didnt have a goal in him.

Like a bit more from his corners too .
I'll support him as he can be very impressive with his play but too many times he just disappears

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #1018 on: August 15, 2018, 08:05:26 AM »
I agree

He was atrocious first half

But he's probably our most reliable goalscorer

Given how poor our wide players have been I wonder if Bruce will try to get him into the side alongside jack and mcginn

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #1019 on: August 15, 2018, 08:34:31 AM »
Sometimes I not sure if expecting too much so it's  helps to know that I not exactly alone on seeing his play .

I tried to be balanced and realise maybe he's not premier league quality but if he does what he does without creating impressions other than goals it's only half a good problem to have

I thought Whelan was very apparent yesterday and would like hourihane getting on ball far more or are least moving when he's passed .

I think Percy on here made a good point about the work he does off the ball by his forward runs and then creating space.

However I do see conor run back to get along side to players with the ball and then would often passes sideways or back .

There is the occasions with a quarter back or Hollywood pass which he enjoys but does infrequently both in success of pass and making them .

Well played to him getting the goal speaks well of the Villa and I think he may not have Bruce's total confidence .

I had to remind myself he's come back from a injury established in the final minutes against Fulham desperate in trying to get to the ball . His lack of pace and reaction meant he didn't get there for one of his almightys but he does offer a genuine goal getting attitude some how !

I just like it to be way more apparent in matches especially against Yeovil. No disrespectful to the league two team. Conor should be running that midfield and feeding balls.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal