collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Conor Hourihane - thanks and farewell  (Read 301947 times)

Offline footyskillz

Re: Conor Hourihane - SIGNED
« Reply #990 on: August 09, 2018, 11:21:07 AM »
If it wasn't for goals I don't know if he be in team   
Felt he was carried v hull and that he not whipping the ball in like snoddy did .

At times he flighted it or clipped it .

Unlucky with free kick and good to have him on this at least don't miss snoddy hitting the wall .

Just feel he needs to be far more apparent on the ball and making runs.
Felt whelan showed him up as midfielder and as mcginn is left footed it will give him some competition.

I hope he actually imposes himself in the play a lot more rather than the odd pass and set piece.

He did assist elmo but that was luck from poor hull goal kick .

A similar problem is his actual position and how to get best out of him as it is it Bjarnasson . It's also to either have them develop so they can play in systems or have set system . I think he's had to slightly play different midfield roles.

I don't think he passes forward enough and would mainly like to see that.
But also would like to see him demand the ball and get hold of it if he wants to be the midfielder then he needs to be impacting a heck of a lot more

He always looks invisible to me. You don't hear or see him unless he scores I slices through a player from behind who just went past him. He struggles to get games for his country and Ireland are hardly blessed with top centre mids.

That's why I've said with him, Whelan or Jedinak in that centre we look slow and poor with the ball.

Yes invisible would be the term if it wasn't for set pieces and goals he wouldn't be considered .

I hope McGinty gives him competition and looks like the Scottish one can play both feet

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #991 on: August 11, 2018, 07:35:32 AM »
Depending on system i hope he is dropped today v wigan and others given a chance.

Though imagine he ll get his ' rest' v Yeovil

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #992 on: August 11, 2018, 09:10:02 AM »
Can't see him not playing today

But can't really see who McGinn comes in for if it isn't him, in time

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #993 on: August 11, 2018, 09:35:34 AM »
I think his best game for us was against Boro in the 2nd leg play off. He was immense that night. He does seem to dip out of games but I think he's been a decent buy for the money we paid.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #994 on: August 11, 2018, 09:38:50 AM »
I think his best game for us was against Boro in the 2nd leg play off. He was immense that night. He does seem to dip out of games but I think he's been a decent buy for the money we paid.

Yes, in terms of goals scored he's been fine.  I'm hoping that playing with somebody more dynamic in McGinn will help him out a bit, as the getting your shorts dirty stuff isn't really his game.  I've said it before, but playing with Whelan and Jedinak puts pressure on the rest of the midfield because of their complete lack of mobility.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #995 on: August 11, 2018, 10:35:47 AM »
Didn't he play a very different role at Barnsley? I just can't imagine him as the driver from midfield that people described him as when we bought him. I'd take that with half a dozen goals less a season than the hider with a poacher's instinct and not much else besides that we seem to have got.

Offline passitsideways

« Reply #996 on: August 11, 2018, 11:04:36 AM »
Didn't he play a very different role at Barnsley? I just can't imagine him as the driver from midfield that people described him as when we bought him. I'd take that with half a dozen goals less a season than the hider with a poacher's instinct and not much else besides that we seem to have got.

I went and had a look at a breakdown of his assists and chances created from his final half-season at Barnsley, and it wasn't just set pieces - he had plenty of them in open play as well. I think it has to be a case of him having to take a backseat because either everything goes through Grealish if it's going through the middle, or we look for a one-on-one out wide.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #997 on: August 11, 2018, 11:16:08 AM »
I've mentioned this few times previously. During the game watch how many times he gets the ball facing the wrong way. He needs to have it whilst moving forward to be really effective.

Offline Fred Crump

« Reply #998 on: August 11, 2018, 11:21:03 AM »
I've mentioned this few times previously. During the game watch how many times he gets the ball facing the wrong way. He needs to have it whilst moving forward to be really effective.
Yes because he doesn’t have the agility to receive the ball and play on the turn like top class midfielders do.

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #999 on: August 11, 2018, 11:22:47 AM »
Yes because he doesn’t have the agility to receive the ball and play on the turn like top class midfielders do.

That's the Championship.

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #1000 on: August 11, 2018, 11:49:08 AM »

In regards to what we paid yes 100%

Especially when the fails of McCormack and Lesser but still uncovincing Hogan.

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #1001 on: August 12, 2018, 08:14:47 AM »
Versus wigan. Was good to see he was dropped but happy he came on and assisted the goal for the win.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #1002 on: August 12, 2018, 08:20:29 AM »

Spot on sir.

It was exposed at the dingle den last season, with Neves showing how it's done in contrast.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #1003 on: August 12, 2018, 09:03:45 AM »
The fact he got double digit goals ans never seems linked with a premier league team is pretty telling I think

The only way I can see him getting in the side alongside jack and mcginn is if we play 352. Otherwise there's not enough protection

Offline passitsideways

« Reply #1004 on: August 12, 2018, 09:23:49 AM »
I don't think it tells anything, really, given the state of the transfer rumours business.

I think he's the odd man out for now, but they need to figure out a way for him to be effective because Grealish can't be expected to play every minute and McGinn may go through ups and downs. Plus, still need goals from midfield unless a 20 goal striker suddenly emerges from the ether.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal