collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[March 28, 2024, 10:29:02 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by tomd2103
[Today at 12:47:19 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 12:22:56 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Conor Hourihane - thanks and farewell  (Read 299943 times)

Offline Smirker

• GM : Sep, 2014
Re: Conor Hourihane - SIGNED
« Reply #960 on: March 16, 2018, 10:50:40 AM »
Great goal.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #961 on: March 16, 2018, 11:55:08 AM »
It was a great goal but I think it's got more to do with the fact he plays for the best (supported) team in the league - some of the other goals were absolute crackers!

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #962 on: March 16, 2018, 12:02:05 PM »
I think he needs dropping.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #963 on: March 16, 2018, 12:04:07 PM »
I'm not sure. Whenever I think he's doing poorly, he scores a vital goal.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #964 on: March 16, 2018, 05:33:19 PM »
That's the thing. Games can seem to be passing him by and then he pops up with a goal. It's been a long time since had a centre midfielder like that.

He's certainly not the driving midfielder in the mould of Milner or Delph we'd like but then you don't get many of those sorts of players in the 2nd Division.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #965 on: March 16, 2018, 07:11:57 PM »
Thing is, he is not the killer-passer I thought we were getting; he is not the MF destroyer that SB seems to sometimes want of him; he not the ball-retainer that he should be (and he does get caught out a lot on the ball); and, he's not the Duracell bunny player who runs on and on for ever (in fact, he seems to run out of steam quite quickly).

So, I'm not sure what he brings to the team, other than the occasional goal.

And I'm trying hard not to be negative!

Offline Rudy65

« Reply #966 on: March 16, 2018, 08:18:58 PM »
Thing is, he is not the killer-passer I thought we were getting; he is not the MF destroyer that SB seems to sometimes want of him; he not the ball-retainer that he should be (and he does get caught out a lot on the ball); and, he's not the Duracell bunny player who runs on and on for ever (in fact, he seems to run out of steam quite quickly).

So, I'm not sure what he brings to the team, other than the occasional goal.

And I'm trying hard not to be negative!

Negative. But true

Offline bill

« Reply #967 on: March 17, 2018, 10:40:14 AM »
He scores goals. But his all round game isn’t as good as I’d hoped for. Difficult to ignore those goals though.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #968 on: March 17, 2018, 11:31:43 AM »
In general performances he isn’t doing it

But I’d fancy him to score a couple more crucial goals this season so I can see why he’s still playing

Personally I’d play Lansbury today though

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #969 on: March 17, 2018, 09:32:59 PM »
Glad he was subbed on 55 mins or so and should have been subbed at half time either for Jedinak or Lansbury.

Has been little of contributes in overall play and there are actually other players who can get goals from midfield as much as he has if they played.

I do like his shooting and his set pieces can  e effective but don't think he feels totally settled and established and struggles as a fish in big pond having to step up in class.

He plays in that middle because he balances with a left foot but I get annoyed with his most favourite play being two arms out in air appealing for things being the most notable of things he's doing.
Great shot on him though.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #970 on: March 17, 2018, 10:28:33 PM »
Yep. The occasional great goal and good set piece. So I can see why he plays

But time and again he’s a passenger for most of the game

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #971 on: March 17, 2018, 10:46:10 PM »
The player presents a most difficult conundrum. This is my theory.

If you put him in a lower level championship stup, he will dominate the midfield and make surging forward runs, sometimes resulting in spectacular goals.

If you stick him in a team where he realizes 3 or 4 of the midfielders are far better him, even if they rarely show it, he is less likely to express himself.

It's only a theory. Please don't hate me. I hatez the haterz, hun.

Offline David_Nab

• GM : 24.12.2015
« Reply #972 on: March 17, 2018, 11:15:12 PM »

If you put him in a lower level championship stup, he will dominate the midfield and make surging forward runs, sometimes resulting in spectacular goals.

If you stick him in a team where he realizes 3 or 4 of the midfielders are far better him, even if they rarely show it, he is less likely to express himself.

He plays as a 2 man midfield behind 4 attacking players so mostly he has to sit deeper to allow them to go forward.Really he should be more attacking as thats his strengh but it would leave us light in defence ..

For me the goals mask the fact he contributes little .In general I don't think we have a CM who can dictate play they are all tidy enough and can pass sideways but beyond that they are limited.We do better when we can sit and counter and bypass midfield and get it to the 3 players behind the striker to do something.In games like tonight where the play is slower we are always poor

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #973 on: March 17, 2018, 11:43:38 PM »

He plays as a 2 man midfield behind 4 attacking players so mostly he has to sit deeper to allow them to go forward.Really he should be more attacking as thats his strengh but it would leave us light in defence ..

For me the goals mask the fact he contributes little .In general I don't think we have a CM who can dictate play they are all tidy enough and can pass sideways but beyond that they are limited.We do better when we can sit and counter and bypass midfield and get it to the 3 players behind the striker to do something.In games like tonight where the play is slower we are always poor

Wouldn't disagree with that analysis.

The question is: why did we sign him?

Offline David_Nab

• GM : 24.12.2015
« Reply #974 on: March 17, 2018, 11:59:36 PM »

Wouldn't disagree with that analysis.

The question is: why did we sign him?

Well you could ask that of
Hogan - £12mil on a striker who needs through balls and barely touches the ball
Bree- RB who only plays LB  when the left footed LB is injured who was only in the team because the Right footed RB got injured
Lanbury - CM who sits on the Bench and has come on once as a MF replacement in the last 8 or so games he has been back from injury

Houriahane has good attributes I just think for the most part sitting deeper doesn't show them

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal