collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by OCD
[Today at 07:32:48 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Paul.S
[Today at 07:27:19 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by VillaTim
[Today at 07:23:43 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:23:42 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[Today at 07:22:15 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by OCD
[Today at 07:20:22 PM]

Re: FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 07:17:32 PM]

Re: FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 07:02:54 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Conor Hourihane - thanks and farewell  (Read 299861 times)

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
Re: Conor Hourihane - SIGNED
« Reply #660 on: January 26, 2017, 08:31:33 PM »
If you are in Harringay and you hear somebody calling Yusuf or Abdul you are on the Turkish side of Green Lanes.  If you hear somebody shout Georgio or Stefan you are on the Greek side.  If you hear somebody shout "Oi Cant!" you are in the middle of the road.

Online VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #661 on: January 26, 2017, 08:35:30 PM »
If you are in Harringay and you hear somebody calling Yusuf or Abdul you are on the Turkish side of Green Lanes.  If you hear somebody shout Georgio or Stefan you are on the Greek side.  If you hear somebody shout "Oi Cant!" you are in the middle of the road.

made me laugh thankyou

Offline peter w

« Reply #662 on: January 26, 2017, 08:46:54 PM »

Stewards order...

It'd be Mustafa or Emre on the Turkish side...

Offline Mossie Hennebry

« Reply #663 on: January 26, 2017, 08:47:53 PM »
i have two sons called Albert and Connor,
 so this would be the first time we have the possibility of both names in the team playing at the same time in our history

a random fact of no consequence whatsoever

about the name Connor/Conor a Irish friend told me a long time ago that the name spelt with two N's was the Protestant way of spelling it and the one N was the Catholic way.
apparently in Ireland there is no end of ways to decipher what side your on without having to say a word,
 maybe one of our Irish lads will know more

Conor is an Irish Christian name and Connor is an Irish surname. I think the latter is more to do with the modern phenomena of using surnames as first names.

Is the correct answer.

O Connor is the Irish surname. It is said that the Connors dropped the O when they converted to Protestantism for food during the famine.  I don't know if there is any truth to this, but you will hear it termed as 'They took the soup'. As an aside, Bandon would have been predominantly Protestant when I was growing up. I'm not sure what the score is now.

Offline the-farmer

• GM : Nov, 2013
« Reply #664 on: January 26, 2017, 08:53:31 PM »
 so this would be the first time we have the possibility of both names in the team playing at the same time in our history

about the name Connor/Conor a Irish friend told me a long time ago that the name spelt with two N's was the Protestant way of spelling it and the one N was the Catholic way.
apparently in Ireland there is no end of ways to decipher what side your on without having to say a word,

Conor is an Irish Christian name and Connor is an Irish surname. I think the latter is more to do with the modern phenomena of using surnames as first names.

Is the correct answer.

O Connor is the Irish surname. It is said that the Connors dropped the O when they converted to Protestantism for food during the famine.  I don't know if there is any truth to this, but you will hear it termed as 'They took the soup'. As an aside, Bandon would have been predominantly Protestant when I was growing up. I'm not sure what the score is now.

I heard Billy Connolly say something along these lines a few years ago

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #665 on: January 26, 2017, 08:57:37 PM »
I bow to your first hand knowledge Mr W.  I don't go to Harringay much since they closed the dog track.  Walt Disney's family came from Harringay.  Ths notta lotta peepul know thet.  Maurice Micklewhite circa 1963.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #666 on: January 26, 2017, 10:02:07 PM »

Is the correct answer.

Over the centuries families just drop the "O" from their names for various reasons. My own surname originally had an "O" before it but it hasn't anymore for whatever reason. Sometimes they're just dropped out of even laziness. I have a mate called Reilly who (about 20 years ago) applied for an Irish passport. He had to get his dad's birth certificate and when he got it it said his dad was born O'Reilly. When he spoke to his dad he said, "oh yeah I dropped the O when I came to England so I could get a job."

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #667 on: January 26, 2017, 10:40:39 PM »

Is the correct answer.

Over the centuries families just drop the "O" from their names for various reasons. My own surname originally had an "O" before it but it hasn't anymore for whatever reason. Sometimes they're just dropped out of even laziness. I have a mate called Reilly who (about 20 years ago) applied for an Irish passport. He had to get his dad's birth certificate and when he got it it said his dad was born O'Reilly. When he spoke to his dad he said, "oh yeah I dropped the O when I came to England so I could get a job."

Who do you think you Are? Live on h and v

Offline BC Villain

« Reply #668 on: January 26, 2017, 10:55:48 PM »
Great to hear that sort of attitude.  One thing we've lacked badly in recent years.  Players who are desperate to be here as opposed to a nice big pay day

https://twitter.com/thevillazone/status/824643530954051585

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #669 on: January 26, 2017, 11:11:39 PM »
A lovely thing to hear. Good man Conor and good luck. I've a feeling he'll be great for us.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #670 on: January 27, 2017, 12:00:45 AM »
Stretching a purple shirt there. Unbelievable that kit manufacturers can't get the right colour these days.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #671 on: January 27, 2017, 12:24:53 AM »
It's a bit shit, isn't it (the kit, not the signing).

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #672 on: January 27, 2017, 12:27:48 AM »
It's a bit shit, isn't it (the kit, not the signing).

It is. Burnley have a good shade of claret. Not sure why we can't nail it.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #673 on: January 27, 2017, 12:37:46 AM »
Even West Ham kits have looked reasonable in recent years.

Traditionally they had the tat and we had something approximating a proper kit.

Offline Ger Regan

• GM : 25.11.2023
« Reply #674 on: January 27, 2017, 01:15:10 AM »
Pop quiz, who can pronounce the irish translation of Conor? It's spelled Conchubhar, by the way.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal