collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Sir Graham Taylor  (Read 102579 times)

Offline martin o`who??

• Apparently I am my own worst enemy.
Re: Sir Graham Taylor has died
« Reply #330 on: January 13, 2017, 07:41:58 AM »
I really hope the Rectums in the gutter press, particularly those responsible for the infamous "Turnip" caricature are feeling slightly low this morning - you will NEVER EVER  be held in the esteem this man was. EVER.....

Offline Marlon From Bearwood

« Reply #331 on: January 13, 2017, 07:59:33 AM »
Some brilliant stories on here. I met SGT a couple of times and he was a great bloke, as we all know. My best memory was Swindon away when we won promotion. I was 12 and with my dad and had travelled down on the family club coaches run by Dave Wallis. SGT invited everyone off the coach into the dressing room after the match to meet him and the players. I recall SGT shouting to an undressed Garry Thompson to cover up as there were ladies present!

A great gesture and obviously a memorable moment for all of us (people were boarding the coach with bits of kit and champagne bottles as souvenirs). Like many stories on here, something that just wouldn't happen today.

Online maidstonevillain

• GM : 26.11.2024
« Reply #332 on: January 13, 2017, 08:53:04 AM »
Not sure whether it has been posted already, but good obit. from Phil McNulty.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38596836

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #333 on: January 13, 2017, 08:57:43 AM »
Axl, that is some memory to cherish.
I became a Villa fan under SGT's reign but was too young to appreciate it.
My only brush with him was during his second spell after beating Chelsea on the last day of the 2001/02 season. Dublin, Vassell and Crouched had all played their part in a win. We also had Angel, Balaban and I think Allback on the books. He was milling around the team bus and my dad asked him "What are you going to do with all those strikers you have?" "Keep 'em, I hope!" he replied quickly.

Has anyone read any tributes from Dwight? He rang Graham from the Nou Camp on the night of the Champions League Final in '99 to thank him for what he had done for him. I imagine he's pretty cut-up at the moment.

Offline MarkM

« Reply #334 on: January 13, 2017, 09:01:37 AM »
When I joined the Army at 16, SGT was in his first year at VP.

I was missing home and missing going to the Villa, my mum wrote to the club saying I was homesick and suffering a bit and asked if anyone could help (all unknown to me)

At mail call a few weeks later a large brown envelope appeared for me stamped 'Aston Villa F.C' when I opened it there was a hand written letter from SGT asking how I was and that he hoped I would get over the homesickness. He said the Villa would always be here for me whenever I needed the club. He also sent me a glossy colour photo of the first team signed by him. (Not the usual type of print but an actual glossy photo) He wrote on the back 'Thanks for the service your doing, Graham.'

It made my day, and made  helped me to get over my homesickness.

Online Dave P

• GM : PCM
« Reply #335 on: January 13, 2017, 09:18:01 AM »
When I joined the Army at 16, SGT was in his first year at VP.

I was missing home and missing going to the Villa, my mum wrote to the club saying I was homesick and suffering a bit and asked if anyone could help (all unknown to me)

At mail call a few weeks later a large brown envelope appeared for me stamped 'Aston Villa F.C' when I opened it there was a hand written letter from SGT asking how I was and that he hoped I would get over the homesickness. He said the Villa would always be here for me whenever I needed the club. He also sent me a glossy colour photo of the first team signed by him. (Not the usual type of print but an actual glossy photo) He wrote on the back 'Thanks for the service your doing, Graham.'

It made my day, and made  helped me to get over my homesickness.

Incredible story.  Thanks for sharing.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #336 on: January 13, 2017, 09:31:39 AM »
The more you read the more you hear of an epic man he was.

100% this

Not since probably Bobby Robson has football lost such a decent man, the level of tributes from all quarters is astounding but not surprising to anyone who knew him - and to think this news broke on a day a modern footballer (Payet) threw his rattle out and does not want to play for his reputed £160k per week.

What has Harris said?

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #337 on: January 13, 2017, 09:42:23 AM »
A true gentleman.
[..........] 
Brilliant man, brilliant. I loved him.

I feel extremely sad today.

Rest in peace Graham, you'll never be forgotten. I'll try digging out some photos of that evening and will post them on here when I do.

And thank you for everything.
Fantastic story Nik. The biggest regret is that this man deserved to win the League in 1990 but...
What he did for Watford (twice) and the broken Villa when he took over in 1987 was on par with Clough's achievements at Derby and Forest.

Offline Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #338 on: January 13, 2017, 10:10:56 AM »
I'm not sure if this has been posted on here already but, talking about the family-man side of Taylor, do you remember when we played Man United at Old Trafford and he decided that it was more important for him to attend his daughter's graduation than to sit on a bench watching his team play?

There's a man with his priorities in the right order.

Also, a fantastic black and white photo on the back of the Metro today of Sir Graham standing in front of the old Trinity.

Offline fbriai

• GM : 31.01.2022
« Reply #339 on: January 13, 2017, 10:13:38 AM »
I'm not sure if this has been posted on here already but, talking about the family-man side of Taylor, do you remember when we played Man United at Old Trafford and he decided that it was more important for him to attend his daughter's graduation than to sit on a bench watching his team play?

There's a man with his priorities in the right order.

I was thinking about this last night. I completely agree with you.

Offline simon ward 50

« Reply #340 on: January 13, 2017, 10:23:30 AM »
Still tearful as I read all the tributes !

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #341 on: January 13, 2017, 10:47:07 AM »

Offline St AustellAVFC

« Reply #342 on: January 13, 2017, 11:02:18 AM »
Sir Graham was in charge when my mom started taking me along to the Villa. These we're really special days and games I will never forget. I remember my late father taking me up to Bodymoor Heath and Graham came over and chatted with us. I wasnt listening as I was on player lookout for autographs but Graham chatted with my Dad for a good 5 minutes. I have no idea what was said but both my Dad and Graham left the conversation laughing. Really sad day yesterday, may you rest in peace.

Offline fbriai

• GM : 31.01.2022
« Reply #343 on: January 13, 2017, 11:11:01 AM »
After reading all of the tributes yesterday evening, I was minded to look over the pages relating to Sir Graham in Paul McGrath's autobiography. There is page after page of evidence of the goodness of the man. I thought the following summed him up particularly well, so thought I'd post it on here:

Quote from: God
I had liked Graham Taylor from the first time we spoke. He had a quirky way about him. He'd bounce up and down out of his chair, all energy and business. Even those chats in his office, they weren't all doom and gloom. He had a lovely way of lightening things. 'Ah big man, step into my clinic'.

The thing that struck me above all else was that he was interested in me. I mean he had every reason to be furious. One of his big summer signings had turned out to be a walking mess. I couldn't have argued if he was obnoxious, if he'd turned on me saying 'What the fuck are you like you dozy twat?'

But he was open and caring. I always felt welcome in his office. He'd say to me, 'Look, if you need something, come to me. We're all here to help you.' That was his attitude. He gave me his home number. I felt I could talk to him on a level I had probably never talked on with anyone else in football.

He even said to me that if I ever felt things getting on top of me again, I would be welcome to come and stay with him and his wife, Rita. I don't think I'm being melodramatic when I say that he literally rescued me from a very bad, bad scene.

It wasn't just a case of giving me the time of day. He was giving me time. I was getting a lot off my chest when I'd go to see him. In many ways, I was at a point of crisis in my life and I needed someone to pull me back from it. My confidence was in ribbons.

Online FrankyH

• GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #344 on: January 13, 2017, 11:40:38 AM »
Remember this when it was broadcast.Like many have said , could listen to the Great man all day.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02kszvb

The Jeremy Vine show are doing a feature about Sir Graham's England tenure later on today.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal