collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Sir Graham Taylor  (Read 102586 times)

Offline Kite

Re: Sir Graham Taylor has died
« Reply #315 on: January 13, 2017, 12:13:40 AM »
Can't remember the year, but Villa beat Watford 4-0. Graham was managing them at the time, and I remember as he walked up the touchline Villa fans were leaning out to shake his hand and he was all smiles.....then he got a massive chant of 'there's only one Graham Taylor' and 'Graham, give us a wave'.....and even before that, when he'd left Villa, he wrote a letter to the Evening Mail or Sutton Coldfield news, can't remember which, saying how much he'd enjoyed his time and what it meant to him....

A class act. He will be missed.

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #316 on: January 13, 2017, 12:23:52 AM »
Since reading Jon Crofts' story at around 7pm I've barely stopped blubbing at all the tributes.

What a phenomenal man (SGT, not JC, although I keep an open mind!).

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #317 on: January 13, 2017, 12:27:14 AM »
Can't remember the year, but Villa beat Watford 4-0. Graham was managing them at the time, and I remember as he walked up the touchline Villa fans were leaning out to shake his hand and he was all smiles.....then he got a massive chant of 'there's only one Graham Taylor' and 'Graham, give us a wave'.....and even before that, when he'd left Villa, he wrote a letter to the Evening Mail or Sutton Coldfield news, can't remember which, saying how much he'd enjoyed his time and what it meant to him....

A class act. He will be missed.

Feb 2000. Only time i've bet on a game inside the ground, had a fiver on us to win 3-0. 0-0 at half time, 3-0 after an hour and me hoping we wouldn't score again. Up popped Richard Walker to score with about 10 to go. I was probably more miserable about him scoring than the Watford fans.

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #318 on: January 13, 2017, 12:35:47 AM »
A true gentleman.

I had the pleasure of meeting Graham in Venice when I was living in Italy. My parents were visiting me and it was a hot day in May, very humid. He was with his wife Rita, a lovely lady, and I spotted him as we were strolling around. His first time at Villa was when I was very young, so I don't remember those days very clearly, but I had a season ticket for the 2002-2003 season, and knew the importance of the man to the club. And the club to the man.

We politely approached him, and I thanked him for his love and hard work for my dearest club. After about 10 minutes of him and my dad discussing football, and my mum and Rita discussing Italian food(and me just standing there), Graham told us he was hot and hungry and suggested we go to a bar for some food. 'It's on me, he declared. I need to convince your father that he supports the wrong club'(my dearest dad being a Leicester fan).

So with that, we went to a lovely cafe Graham knew, ate wonderful pizza and drank prosecco throughout the afternoon until the early evening. I remember how entertaining, articulate and genuinely funny he was. His knowledge of Villa put mine to shame. This was just after the end of the 2009-2010 season and he absolutely loved Ashley Young. He was still fuming about Vidic at Wembley, too. We invited him back to the house I was living in in Padova at the time, and he accepted.

Two hours later, Graham, Rita, my mum and dad, plus me and 6 Italian housemates were sat in our kitchen, playing guitar, feasting and talking about Villa. He didn't bat an eyelid when my Palestinian friend brought out a Shisha pipe and added a little hashish to the bowl. I simply could not believe it. Couldn't believe how much he loved us, the fans, either. At the end of the night, Graham politely excused himself and that was the last time I ever saw him. One of the true legends of my life.

Despite a small language barrier-my housemates didn't speak English wonderfully, neither did I have much command of the Italian language at that point, I assumed they had understood who he was. I was wrong. They thought he was my uncle, and it's still a running joke to this day, especially after they checked exactly who he was online. To those 6 housemates, he is my 'super brilliant uncle from Aston Villa'.

Brilliant man, brilliant. I loved him.

I feel extremely sad today.

Rest in peace Graham, you'll never be forgotten. I'll try digging out some photos of that evening and will post them on here when I do.

And thank you for everything.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 01:31:12 AM by Axl Rose »

Offline spirit-of-82

« Reply #319 on: January 13, 2017, 01:11:01 AM »
It doesn't normally affect me when some one famous passes away but i've sat here with tears in my eyes reading the tributes to SGT i met him a couple of times & as been said by most people he was one of lifes true gentlemen.
To do what he did with lincoln & watford & then come to us & save the club from going into freefall which we where in danger of doing is on a par with any of the so called greats.
Some of my best days watching Villa was in Grahams time at the club.
Thanks for the memories SGT

Offline JD

• Stay Free
  • GM : 19.01.2025
« Reply #320 on: January 13, 2017, 01:12:05 AM »
That's a brilliant post Axl and says everything about what a great person Graham Taylor was. He was a true gentleman and will be sorely missed. RIP Sir Graham.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #321 on: January 13, 2017, 01:18:22 AM »
Amazing, Axl. Best Villa story ever. After reading that, I don't need to read anything else about GT and believe me, I've spent most of the day doing just that.

Offline JD

• Stay Free
  • GM : 19.01.2025
« Reply #322 on: January 13, 2017, 01:22:39 AM »
My Dad just rang me to see if I'd heard the news and he reminded me of this story of great kindness and humility from SGT.

Ian, a friend had cystic fibrosis which meant although he was an avid Villa fan his condition wouldn't allow him to get to a game.  My Dad wrote to Villa, Steve Stride if he remembers rightly, to see if Ian could get along to Bodymoor Heath one day for a bit of a behind the scenes visit. Ian had several complications with his CF and wasn't expected to live into his 30s.

Graham Taylor replied personally to my old man (I'm now hoping somewhere at their home he's kept that letter, I did ask him!) promising to fulfil Ian's dream of meeting some players and watching them play & train.  Well, I can't even begin to describe what SGT ended up doing with Ian.  I know he spent the day at BH and was put up at The Belfry by Villa for a couple of nights with his family.  They were picked up on the Saturday and travelled with the team on a Flights coach to an away game, memory is failing, can't remember which one but we think it was Middlesborough.  Ian sat next to SGT all the way there and back, I've seen some old Polaroids of him playing cards with some of the players.  This meant Ian was away from his family for about 24 hours, CF sufferers need to be massaged and helped with dealing with the mucus build up in the respiratory tract & lungs.  Ian's Mum usually helped with this but SGT said if she showed him how to do it he'd make sure him and the physios dealt with it, she can have the day off.

Ian died about 6 months after that amazing experience.

SGT came to Ian's funeral, no mean feat considering it was in Surrey.  On Ian's coffin was a picture of him laughing and smiling with SGT.

Jon, thank you for posting that. Wonderful story and I really shouldn't have read this at work. I need to go into a meeting room as I now have grit in my eyes.

Offline Havencheese

« Reply #323 on: January 13, 2017, 01:52:28 AM »
RIP SGT - passionate, humane, charismatic, real and of course a thorough gentleman.

A true gem from the old school. Gutted.

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #324 on: January 13, 2017, 04:21:28 AM »
Thank you for all the great stories. Lots of dust in my eye at work today.

A Celtic fan (who as an aside is very good friends with Alec Mcleish which may explain his reaction) walked up to me in the bar after work tonight shook my hand and said "Villa lost a good man today" and looked genuinely gutted. As noted in many fora today it's rare to see such universal love and praise for someone from across the football world.

Offline Matt C

• GM : 18.06.2020
« Reply #325 on: January 13, 2017, 05:17:12 AM »
Some wonderful stories in here of a great man.

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #326 on: January 13, 2017, 06:41:59 AM »
Super post, Axl, just super.

Offline Mr Med

« Reply #327 on: January 13, 2017, 07:05:09 AM »
One of my best memories was promotion at Swindon. Villa fans crowded around my radio at the end of the game. Seemed like ever waiting for the final whistle at the 2 other games. Who knows where we would have been without Graham as the team had been very poor for a few year previous. RIP Graham Taylor.

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #328 on: January 13, 2017, 07:18:34 AM »
The more you read the more you hear of an epic man he was.

Offline martin o`who??

• Apparently I am my own worst enemy.
« Reply #329 on: January 13, 2017, 07:28:36 AM »
A true gentleman.

I had the pleasure of meeting Graham in Venice when I was living in Italy. My parents were visiting me and it was a hot day in May, very humid. He was with his wife Rita, a lovely lady, and I spotted him as we were strolling around. His first time at Villa was when I was very young, so I don't remember those days very clearly, but I had a season ticket for the 2002-2003 season, and knew the importance of the man to the club. And the club to the man.

We politely approached him, and I thanked him for his love and hard work for my dearest club. After about 10 minutes of him and my dad discussing football, and my mum and Rita discussing Italian food(and me just standing there), Graham told us he was hot and hungry and suggested we go to a bar for some food. 'It's on me, he declared. I need to convince your father that he supports the wrong club'(my dearest dad being a Leicester fan).

So with that, we went to a lovely cafe Graham knew, ate wonderful pizza and drank prosecco throughout the afternoon until the early evening. I remember how entertaining, articulate and genuinely funny he was. His knowledge of Villa put mine to shame. This was just after the end of the 2009-2010 season and he absolutely loved Ashley Young. He was still fuming about Vidic at Wembley, too. We invited him back to the house I was living in in Padova at the time, and he accepted.

Two hours later, Graham, Rita, my mum and dad, plus me and 6 Italian housemates were sat in our kitchen, playing guitar, feasting and talking about Villa. He didn't bat an eyelid when my Palestinian friend brought out a Shisha pipe and added a little hashish to the bowl. I simply could not believe it. Couldn't believe how much he loved us, the fans, either. At the end of the night, Graham politely excused himself and that was the last time I ever saw him. One of the true legends of my life.

Despite a small language barrier-my housemates didn't speak English wonderfully, neither did I have much command of the Italian language at that point, I assumed they had understood who he was. I was wrong. They thought he was my uncle, and it's still a running joke to this day, especially after they checked exactly who he was online. To those 6 housemates, he is my 'super brilliant uncle from Aston Villa'.

Brilliant man, brilliant. I loved him.

I feel extremely sad today.

Rest in peace Graham, you'll never be forgotten. I'll try digging out some photos of that evening and will post them on here when I do.

And thank you for everything.
Which basically says it all.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal