collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Sir Graham Taylor  (Read 102574 times)

Offline cheltenhamlion

Re: Sir Graham Taylor has died
« Reply #240 on: January 12, 2017, 07:16:04 PM »
I am living hearing the stories from across football for a man who intrinsically knew what "right" was. A class act. I bet if he could look down on today's eulogies he would be amazed and humbled by the love football people have for him.

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #241 on: January 12, 2017, 07:21:08 PM »
A classy football man who I am proud to have associated with our club. RIP.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #242 on: January 12, 2017, 07:24:40 PM »
Going top of the league away at Spurs. Freezing cold but oh what I night. I actually thought we were going to do it that night!

I saw us at Spurs quite a few times in the late 80s and 90s as I lived in North London  That game stood out because we owned them that night,  Made Gazza and Lineker look ordinary.     

Online shirley_villan

« Reply #243 on: January 12, 2017, 07:26:58 PM »
Not old enough to have been around for his first spell (was only one when he left for England) but met him at Edgbaston a few years ago and thanked him for all he's done for the Villa. Such a nice bloke.

Offline goldenjimi

« Reply #244 on: January 12, 2017, 07:27:18 PM »
Such a sad day. I will never forget the reception he got from all four sides of the ground when we played Watford after he got them promoted,it was real lump in the throat stuff. To get such respect from both sets of fans is something Ive never seen before. Thank you SGT.

Offline Big Monkey

« Reply #245 on: January 12, 2017, 07:29:45 PM »
R.I.P Sir Graham :(

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #246 on: January 12, 2017, 07:38:10 PM »
A footballing  man who took the bull by the horns at every club he managed, improved Lincoln, Watford creating a minor miracle and at the Villa taking us back  to our minimum  expectations.  Lets give him a big  send  off on Saturday

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #247 on: January 12, 2017, 07:43:17 PM »
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=80BdAp4h1g4

Spurs 0 Villa 2 1990.  The night we went top of the league.  Seven consecutive victories.

Offline Exeter 77

« Reply #248 on: January 12, 2017, 07:44:12 PM »
It seems everyone agrees Graham Taylor always instinctively knew the 'right' thing to do or say and had the rare talent to communicate so effectively that he got the best out of the cast majority of those players who played under him. Whether it was a multi platinum selling diva musician or a star-struck 8 year old he could relate to them and always had time to talk. I met him briefly a couple of times and it became quickly obvious that all the opinions thst had and have of him are absolutely correct.  A unique and lovely gentleman.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #249 on: January 12, 2017, 07:48:21 PM »

Offline claret and blue blood

« Reply #250 on: January 12, 2017, 07:58:46 PM »
My first memory of Sir Graham was a phone call From a Watford supporting colleague telling me we had appointed him . From the despair of being relegated the news lifted me and all of us with good reason.
Years later my son and I met him before a game in the North Stand car park and he spent a few minutes chatting to us and signed my lad's autograph book .
Fought back a few tears today at work very sad day indeed.

Online The Moose

• GM : 03.08.2016
« Reply #251 on: January 12, 2017, 08:05:39 PM »
I feel unable to fully put into words the respect and high esteem in which he was held. His knowledge of the game was second to none. To turn three clubs around the way he did was extraordinary. Football has lost one of the best. RIP Sir Graham.

Offline A Northern Soul

• Xxx
  • GM : Aug, 2013
« Reply #252 on: January 12, 2017, 08:06:46 PM »
&sns=tw via @youtube‬

This day was massive, & the first few seconds sum up SGT. 48k or thereabouts in VP that afternoon (I think!) and the roof nearly came off the Holte when Platt scored. So many other happy memories of those seasons, I was 18/19 that second division season and managed to get 49 games (including the Simod Cup), we were united as a club again and mostly down to one man. Ironic that we have now gone full circle.

Thank you Graham, best appointment we could possibly have made and a man so proud of The Villa x

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #253 on: January 12, 2017, 08:07:46 PM »
&sns=tw via @youtube‬

This day was massive, & the first few seconds sum up SGT. 48k or thereabouts in VP that afternoon (I think!) and the roof nearly came off the Holte when Platt scored. So many other happy memories of those seasons, I was 18/19 that second division season and managed to get 49 games (including the Simod Cup), we were united as a club again and mostly down to one man. Ironic that we have now gone full circle.

Thank you Graham, best appointment we could possibly have made and a man so proud of The Villa x

It was 36k but it felt like 48k!

Online andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #254 on: January 12, 2017, 08:08:55 PM »
I sincerely hope they hold a silence rather than an applause at saturdays game.
For me, it is more powerful, poignant and dignified.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal