collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by maidstonevillain
[Today at 03:33:09 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by Footy-Vill
[Today at 03:26:17 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Toronto Villa
[Today at 03:22:21 PM]

Season Tickets - 2023/24 by VillaTim
[Today at 03:20:13 PM]

Ollie Watkins by KevinGage
[Today at 03:10:44 PM]

Ex- Villa Players still playing watch by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 03:07:15 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Drummond
[Today at 02:58:40 PM]

Peter McParland 90 today by jon collett
[Today at 02:13:38 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by maidstonevillain
[Today at 03:33:09 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by andyh
[Today at 03:30:25 PM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by Footy-Vill
[Today at 03:26:17 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Ducksworthy
[Today at 03:24:46 PM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by Footy-Vill
[Today at 03:24:01 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 03:23:25 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by usav
[Today at 03:23:10 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Toronto Villa
[Today at 03:22:21 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Sir Graham Taylor  (Read 102561 times)

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
Re: Sir Graham Taylor has died
« Reply #195 on: January 12, 2017, 05:07:59 PM »
That's terrible news I'm shocked R.I.P

Offline BOB MANSFIELD

« Reply #196 on: January 12, 2017, 05:13:37 PM »
RIP Graham Taylor. As you get older, they say the tears come more easily but I swear I was in floods at this shock news. Graham Taylor's Claret & Blue Army is ringing in my brain as I try to write through the sore eyes.
Thanks for everything you did for our beloved Villa. My sincerest Condolences to all the family. Bob

Offline Neil Hawkes

« Reply #197 on: January 12, 2017, 05:14:17 PM »
RIP Sir Graham Taylor

Offline Kingthing

« Reply #198 on: January 12, 2017, 05:14:29 PM »
That's terrible news I'm shocked R.I.P

I was in Covent Garden today mate, almost called you, we could gone and raised a glass to him.

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #199 on: January 12, 2017, 05:17:21 PM »
R.I.P. Sir Graham, a true legend and football great. Everton away singing GT's claret and blue army was a great send off then and should be sung loudly and proudly over the next couple of games.

Offline Woofles The Wonder Dog

• GM : 25.01.2025
« Reply #200 on: January 12, 2017, 05:20:13 PM »
Decent tribute to him just now on Sky Sports News. He was clearly delighted to have a stand named after him at Watford - seems a bit late for us now.

More snuffling.

Offline Breezeblock

• GM : 29.11.2024
« Reply #201 on: January 12, 2017, 05:21:54 PM »
Failed nose kid at work who's switched allegiance to Liverpool: "Did you hear Graham Taylor had died? He was a prick, anyway!"

The amazing thing is that I still have a job! I only threatened to rip his arms out of their sockets - I didn't actually do it. Sad enough day as it is without noses trying to be clever.  >:(

Offline ClarrieBlue

« Reply #202 on: January 12, 2017, 05:23:15 PM »
I can't add much to all these wonderful memories. I have to admit there is a big lump in my throat having read all the tributes. The exact details might be a bit shaky but as I remember it, one of my favourite memories is a League Cup game against Spurs in the 87/88 season. Spurs came to Second Division Villa and seemed to be heading towards a comfortable victory. At some point SGT flew out of the dug-out and gave both the team and the crowd a fist-shaking reminder of why we were all there. The game seemed to turn in an instant and we ran out 2-1 winners. Great stuff. It was only October in his first season and we hadn't started the season that greatly but I saw on that night that we had got someone really special.
I also remember being on holiday in Menorca when the FA were wooing him and praying that he wouldn't leave us. It was difficult to keep up with the news abroad in those days and I remember being so disappointed when I heard he had taken the England job.
Thankfully I already have my tickets for the Preston game so will be able to show my appreciation a week on Saturday.

RIP SGT

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #203 on: January 12, 2017, 05:26:15 PM »
An absolute gentleman he was. Did a very good job for us too and one of the few managers we've had who really got what the club was about.

I loved the way he took Allan Green to task for coming out with some stupidity during a commentary a few years ago. RIP Sir Graham.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #204 on: January 12, 2017, 05:28:12 PM »
Only just heard the news on Talksport and I am not ashamed to say I shed a few tears. I met him twice. Once after waiting by the team coach after his first competitive game at Portman Road Ipswich and once at the Nigel Spink testimonial Q&A forum at Sutton Coldfield  town hall. I had a photo taken with him and after meeting me briefly five months earlier he remembered my name. Nev of H&V fame was with me on both occasions and I think we both still have o copy the photo we had taken with SGT taken by Terry Weir. I was there when we gave him a great send off at Everton, which he admitted really touched him and I will be part of the other great send off we give him at the next home game.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #205 on: January 12, 2017, 05:30:54 PM »
Only just heard the news and am very shocked and saddened.  Turned the club around in his first spell and the question will always remain of just how far he could have taken us had he not taken the England job.

Met him very briefly once in WH Smith when I was in my teens,  it was just after he had left the England job and me and a few of my mates slightly nervously approached him to ask him for his autograph.  He was great though and even thanked us!! 

Offline Cliftonville Villain

« Reply #206 on: January 12, 2017, 05:35:41 PM »
Shocked and devastated. I often wonder how far we would have went and what we would have won if England hadn't come calling. What he achieved in those first few years was absolutely ridiculous for a team in freefall heading for the third division. He went through the club like a dose of salts, left no stone unturned, and completely turned it around with signings like God, Platt and Daley, running the Scousers so close to the title within three years. Was among Liverpool at Anfield when Ian Olney scored early on...they were sitting themselves that day. Even with those three mentioned above, that squad had no right to be anywhere near challenging for the title, but it was all down to Graham. His man-management was un-surpassed. An absolute gentleman who had time for everyone. Spare a thought too for Watford...they'll be hurting also. Rest in Peace Sir Graham. And thanks.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #207 on: January 12, 2017, 05:43:26 PM »
I heard a story about how he helped Elton John tackle his alcoholism. Apparently they had an early morning meeting and SGT poured a large glass of something like vodka or whiskey for the two them. When Elton John mentioned it might be a bit early for a drink SGT's answer was "I thought that was what you always has for breakfast".

Offline el león Benidorm

• GM : 28.05.2015
« Reply #208 on: January 12, 2017, 05:46:40 PM »
Going top of the league away at Spurs. Freezing cold but oh what I night. I actually thought we were going to do it that night!

Offline Virgil Caine

• Location: Bedfordshire and its not as bad as you think it might be.
  • GM : 15.07.2024
« Reply #209 on: January 12, 2017, 05:46:46 PM »
Very sad news-again one of the very few who walk out of this life with real credit and admiration. A professional Football Manager who always acted with grace and dignity even when the gutter press were belittling his achievements and mocking his appearance( I hope those journalists are today hanging their heads in shame). A message to Mourinho- special one?, don't make me laugh, GT had more gravitas and class in the tip of his little finger. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal