collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by rob_bridge
[Today at 02:01:05 PM]

Re: FFP by Risso
[Today at 02:00:06 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 01:59:07 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by WassallVillain
[Today at 01:54:03 PM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Toronto Villa
[Today at 01:50:22 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Risso
[Today at 01:43:13 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 01:30:57 PM]

Re: Aston Villa Leisure Centre by Pete3206
[Today at 01:30:43 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Cricket Thread 2017  (Read 225138 times)

Offline taylorsworkrate

Re: The Cricket Thread 2017
« Reply #2160 on: January 07, 2018, 03:16:49 AM »
Can we survive into day 5? If we do then the ECB will probably hail all 5 matches going into the 5th day as a success.

Would not be surprising if we are 20 for 3 in an hours time

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #2161 on: January 07, 2018, 08:21:55 AM »
Simply not good enough I am afraid. The whole system needs reviewing.

Offline simboy

• GM : 05.11.2024
« Reply #2162 on: January 07, 2018, 08:54:15 AM »
How do we overhaul the system?

Our domestic cricket produces bowlers who bowl on green tops under cloudy skies for the first six or seven weeks of the season. Therefore we produce (very good) fast medium who, with the right conditions, do a bit with the ball. Counties are not going to change that.

Perhaps we could adopt the Kookaburra ball for our county marches. That would be a start.

We need to encourage our young bowlers out to play grade cricket and experience “alien” conditions. Whilst not setting the world alight in this test Crane might be a visitor n of the future. However, if he performs half decently this coming year the IPL, Big Bash and other 20/20 money competitions will beckon. This will generate another Rashid, who’s not really a test player and never will be.

As to immediate changes.

Root needs to be a batsman first and foremost. He shouldn’t be a tour captain (perhaps the skipper at home where he can get away from it all occasionally)

Stokes needs rehabilitation into the fold

We need to encourage young pace bowlers who can bowl 20 overs a day at 88 mph plus for more than two matches a year.

We need some consistency. Keeting Jennings, for example, raised on bouncy pitches and no where this test team. Hammed, last year unlucky he broke his finger, no mention again.

We need to pick teams for places we are touring not for English conditions perhaps. Six or seven core regulars but looking to develop our teams for Australia or India or South Africa two or three years in advance.

Finally test cricket admin needs to be totallydivroced from the white ball game.

I’m sure there’s lots we can do. But to avoid humiliation in four years time we need to start thinking about it now.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #2163 on: January 07, 2018, 09:07:36 AM »
Pretty poor stuff.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #2164 on: January 07, 2018, 09:49:12 AM »

I think we'd be overreacting if we were looking at a complete overhaul of the system. It's the way Test cricket is right now, see India currently struggling in South Africa and just a few months ago Australia struggling in India and Bangledesh.

I had no expectations in this series other than a fairly comprehensive defeat. Australia have a good attack and the worlds best batsman plus home conditions. England's attack without Stokes and Wood to back up Broad and Anderson is bang average. I expected Lyon to out bowl Moeen but not to this extent.

So what are the positives because there are plenty, well ticks for Malan, Overton and ,despite his figures, Crane needs some persevering with whilst Vince and Stoneman should also go to NZ for another crack. Thats a plus mark or tentative pass against the names of 4 new players in this series while the jury out still on Vince and Stoneman IMO, thats really not a bad return against previous Ashes tours. Ive no doubt they'll all be better players for this experience too.

I actually think, when all things are considered England have actually done well to take every Test match to a 5th day, despite being consistently outplayed by a better side England have not been folding inside 3 days unlike previous tours, that at least shows they have some mental toughness in the side as without it we would have seen much earlier finishes.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #2165 on: January 07, 2018, 10:07:11 AM »
Blimey I don't think dragging Test defeats out to 5 days is anything to praise for a team with the resources of England. You've got to look at the context of those 5 day defeats. They're not nip and tuck, could go either way, by and large they're hammerings.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #2166 on: January 07, 2018, 10:37:03 AM »
Blimey I don't think dragging Test defeats out to 5 days is anything to praise for a team with the resources of England. You've got to look at the context of those 5 day defeats. They're not nip and tuck, could go either way, by and large they're hammerings.

The point I'm making is not the scoreboard but its the mentality to stay together they've shown when up against a clearly superior side. I've been here for two 5-0 hammerings and I can see that this team wants to get better and genuinely come across as being very together as a group.  You certainly couldn't say that about 06/7 or 13/14.

A small thing I appreciate but I'm looking at the positives. The negatives of generally not being good enough and losing our most important player we already know.

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #2167 on: January 07, 2018, 10:42:02 AM »
Some very good points regarding the future.

I was chatting with a mate of mine about this yesterday.  He was a decent club cricketer in his day and a keen follower of the game.

His view is that for so long as international cricket remains a 12 month a year global caravan then you have to accept that teams will usually prevail in their home conditions.  That is the same for all countries.  The days are long gone when aspiring or current overseas Test players appeared week-in, week-out in county cricket or even competitions like the Lancashire League.  Then add the fact that a tour is actually a flying visit with back-to-back Tests, rather than interspersed with other games to allow time to acclimatize and hone the techniques required in different conditions.  It is difficult to imagine a time when this will change, what with the demands of television on the international scene and a not unreasonable desire of the top players to make hay whilst the sun shines on the various high-profile Twenty-20 competitions that TV has spawned.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 10:45:27 AM by TopDeck113 »

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #2168 on: January 07, 2018, 11:42:23 AM »
How do we overhaul the system?

Our domestic cricket produces bowlers who bowl on green tops under cloudy skies for the first six or seven weeks of the season. Therefore we produce (very good) fast medium who, with the right conditions, do a bit with the ball. Counties are not going to change that.

Perhaps we could adopt the Kookaburra ball for our county marches. That would be a start.

We need to encourage our young bowlers out to play grade cricket and experience “alien” conditions. Whilst not setting the world alight in this test Crane might be a visitor n of the future. However, if he performs half decently this coming year the IPL, Big Bash and other 20/20 money competitions will beckon. This will generate another Rashid, who’s not really a test player and never will be.

As to immediate changes.

Root needs to be a batsman first and foremost. He shouldn’t be a tour captain (perhaps the skipper at home where he can get away from it all occasionally)

Stokes needs rehabilitation into the fold

We need to encourage young pace bowlers who can bowl 20 overs a day at 88 mph plus for more than two matches a year.

We need some consistency. Keeting Jennings, for example, raised on bouncy pitches and no where this test team. Hammed, last year unlucky he broke his finger, no mention again.

We need to pick teams for places we are touring not for English conditions perhaps. Six or seven core regulars but looking to develop our teams for Australia or India or South Africa two or three years in advance.

Finally test cricket admin needs to be totallydivroced from the white ball game.

I’m sure there’s lots we can do. But to avoid humiliation in four years time we need to start thinking about it now.

Some intetesting points there.  It is a tough one because come the summer and cloudy skies over Edgbaston and Trent Bridge, you wouldn't want anyone else but Anderson and Broad bowling. 

I do think losing Stokes has disrupted the balance of the side, but we have been comprehensively beaten. 

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #2169 on: January 07, 2018, 12:05:23 PM »
We've been soft as shit.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #2170 on: January 07, 2018, 01:24:18 PM »
TopDeck113 agree with your mates views. One reason for this failure is lack of prep but it’s simply not possible. May be reducing Ashes to 3 tests would help but money matters🙁

Offline taylorsworkrate

« Reply #2171 on: January 07, 2018, 05:46:20 PM »
We've taken 58 wickets in the whole series. That is utterly pathetic. Anderson has bowled tirelessly and has been given absolutely zero support from the rest of the "attack"

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2172 on: January 07, 2018, 06:44:46 PM »
We've taken 58 wickets in the whole series. That is utterly pathetic. Anderson has bowled tirelessly and has been given absolutely zero support from the rest of the "attack"

Broad has been well below what he should offer and Ali has bowled terribly, if they'd got the sort of figures you'd expect from them it would have made a huge difference, with Stokes not missing as well it might have been very different.

Offline steffo

« Reply #2173 on: January 07, 2018, 07:15:14 PM »
The cricket season as we stand lasts for about 24 weeks. If we go back to 9 teams per division then that's 16 weeks for county championship games. 2 games on in April and September 3 games all the other months = 16

All games to start on a Monday. No exceptions except bank holdays.

That leaves 3 days to fit in T20 and RDL. - Some counties might entertain 2 x T20 fixtures in one day.

There are spinners but they are not allowed to ply their trade in August.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #2174 on: January 07, 2018, 10:15:51 PM »
Per Alison Mitchell.....Joe Root in Hospital

Appears to be related to the heat of yesterday

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal