collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:25:52 AM]

Re: FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by LeeB
[Today at 11:20:10 AM]

Re: FFP by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 11:13:40 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Nev
[Today at 11:12:18 AM]

Re: FFP by Nev
[Today at 11:04:06 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Cricket Thread 2017  (Read 225080 times)

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: The Cricket Thread 2017
« Reply #2145 on: January 06, 2018, 01:58:26 AM »
Boycott can be a right tit at times, i get the point he was trying to make that Crane shouldn't give the umpire a chance to call no  ball but as Swann said his heel was behind the line when he made contact and the tv official got it wrong.

Smith was a huge wicket though and we need ro make the most of it now and get them for less than 400.  This pitch does look like it's going to be tough on day 5 so a slight deficit isn't the end of the world but we're still going to need to bat well.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #2146 on: January 06, 2018, 02:19:26 AM »
Khawaja is a brilliant spin player. He is more suspect against Jimmy and in any case young Mason is a bit out of his depth out here and not weaved any spin on that ball to worry Aussies. However the pitch is deteriorating so you never know.
Khawaja is about as far away from a brilliant spin player as there is. He has a horrendous record against spin.
Ermmm...yes exactly no.😊

Offline passitsideways

« Reply #2147 on: January 06, 2018, 02:38:36 AM »
Khawaja is a brilliant spin player. He is more suspect against Jimmy and in any case young Mason is a bit out of his depth out here and not weaved any spin on that ball to worry Aussies. However the pitch is deteriorating so you never know.
Khawaja is about as far away from a brilliant spin player as there is. He has a horrendous record against spin.
Ermmm...yes exactly no.😊

He does OK at home against spin, the lbw he got against Mo first up in Brisbane was more a mental thing. Clueless on the subcontinent though.

Online OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #2148 on: January 06, 2018, 06:58:07 AM »
So this Test is like an exact replay of Perth so far. England win the toss and bat first, get into a really good position only to squander it. Subsequently, they end up not getting anywhere near enough runs.

Aussies sail past England's score so England end up batting last to save the game in a match where they won the toss. Its turning already and stating to go a bit up and down, with 41c forecast for tomorrow and mid 30's for day 5 this will be an absolute Bunsen by then.

This will finish sometime in the afternoon session of day 5.

Thought Crane was very unlucky to only come away with only 1 wicket from the day. He bowled far better than that.

Online manic-road

« Reply #2149 on: January 06, 2018, 07:17:20 AM »
So this Test is like an exact replay of Perth so far. England win the toss and bat first, get into a really good position only to squander it. Subsequently, they end up not getting anywhere near enough runs.

Aussies sail past England's score so England end up batting last to save the game in a match where they won the toss. Its turning already and stating to go a bit up and down, with 41c forecast for tomorrow and mid 30's for day 5 this will be an absolute Bunsen by then.

This will finish sometime in the afternoon session of day 5.

Thought Crane was very unlucky to only come away with only 1 wicket from the day. He bowled far better than that.

Well summed up.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #2150 on: January 06, 2018, 08:33:59 AM »
We've got two major problems, many of our batsmen aren't hungry enough for runs and our bowling attack just lacks bite.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #2151 on: January 06, 2018, 08:49:23 AM »
I would hope, and assume, their assessment of performance in house is harsher than what they state publicly. In these conditions there is a huge gulf in quality between the sides.

Offline olaftab

« Reply #2152 on: January 06, 2018, 10:33:36 AM »
OzVilla you summed it up. Not looking forward to 4thabd 5th day. Lyon is going to rip us apart.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #2153 on: January 06, 2018, 11:28:26 AM »

The one we reviewed which was given as a no ball was the game changer, we'd have had the marsh brothers both new to the crease with a tricky few overs before lunch.  I think he was very unlucky with that one in particular because it was right on the line.

Add to it the Cook wicket and we've been on the wrong of 2 marginal 3rd umpire decisions tat have probably swung the game 100+ runs away from us.

Offline taylorsworkrate

« Reply #2154 on: January 06, 2018, 11:46:21 AM »
Another predictable day in the field. Crane bowled decently enough and there is clearly something there to work with. As for Curran? Well he is young and its not an easy situation to come into, but at this point he appears way short of test match ability

Offline taylorsworkrate

« Reply #2155 on: January 06, 2018, 02:04:52 PM »
I have no sympathy for crane regarding the no ball. There is no way a spinner should be that close to the line

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #2156 on: January 06, 2018, 08:25:44 PM »
Boycott can be a right tit at times, i get the point he was trying to make that Crane shouldn't give the umpire a chance to call no  ball but as Swann said his heel was behind the line when he made contact and the tv official got it wrong.

I thought that the Third Umpire got the call right.

I didn’t see anything behind the line when Crane’s foot landed.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #2157 on: January 06, 2018, 10:38:28 PM »

I thought it was marginal but my main point was the way Boycott seemed, during the lunch break, to enjoy telling Swann and Lee (who both thought it was harsh) that it was up to the umpire and there was nothing to discuss, just came across as an arrogant knob, which he does fall back on a little too often for my liking. He just wanted to slag Crane off for pushing the line rather than talk about the decision itself and practically shouted the other 2 down for not letting him.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #2158 on: January 07, 2018, 12:51:39 AM »

I thought it was marginal but my main point was the way Boycott seemed, during the lunch break, to enjoy telling Swann and Lee (who both thought it was harsh) that it was up to the umpire and there was nothing to discuss, just came across as an arrogant knob, which he does fall back on a little too often for my liking. He just wanted to slag Crane off for pushing the line rather than talk about the decision itself and practically shouted the other 2 down for not letting him.

As folk rocker Al Stewart said when critics wrote that his lyrics were pretentious, that's like saying Black Sabbath are loud. It's just the way the saft fucker rolls.

What really gets to me is when he says a fast bowler should get it up under is ribs, get it up under armpit, get im in neck under adam's apple, they don't like that. Nothing to say when someone gets it in the temple or the back of the neck, and dies.

Offline olaftab

« Reply #2159 on: January 07, 2018, 02:44:56 AM »
It’s tough out there today. Only spent about 45 minutes in my seat and it was unbearable. Retired now to the Bavarian to dehydrate.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal